Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-18-2012, 05:59 AM   #1
krischik
Addict
krischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheese

Device: P990i, PRS 505
Angry Mobipocket closed

Don't know when it happened but it seems mobipocket finally closed it doors.

After years of neglect, the last software released January 2009, the support closed in June 2009 it does not come as much of a surprise. We all knew it would happen.

But then again, Amazon did not really close the doors and put up the “Sorry we are closed” sign.

No Amazon just had shelves been cleared of purchasable books but leave the shop open so customers are free so browse the now empty shelves.

Tech Talk: The database has been wiped but the web page is still on-line displaying “Your search did not render any hist”.

The download section for books already bought is also still functional. As are the Forums — but they have been swamped by SPAM.

As it is it is a another sad chapter to the already sad story. Another time where Amazon did not to the proper thing to do. That's: Close Mobipocket for good and transfers all purchases over to the Kindle shop.
krischik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:12 AM   #2
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Apparently they announced it in November, and the change went through in January ( http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...ket-2000-2011/ )

So, it only took 3 months for someone on MR to notice.

I don't view this as a "sad" chapter, it's just the nature of technology, especially since you had years of warning. You might as well lament the loss of cassettes, the 8-track, beta tapes, Atari 800 cartridges and punch cards while you're at it.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2012, 12:02 PM   #3
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
Actually, the discussion thread (in November) is right here.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:23 PM   #4
Matth79
Zealot
Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
A dozen assorted free ebooks on the homepage - if I still kept Gerbils, I'd be delighted with "life history of the Kangaroo rat".
Matth79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:31 PM   #5
krischik
Addict
krischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
I don't view this as a "sad" chapter, it's just the nature of technology, especially since you had years of warning.
I would see it the same way. Only — well have a look at the sentence in bold in original post. Not that is happens is sad. How it happened is sad.
Advert
Old 03-18-2012, 07:12 PM   #6
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
Actually, the discussion thread (in November) is right here.
Huh.... I didn't see that when I did a search, thanks.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:27 PM   #7
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krischik View Post
I would see it the same way. Only — well have a look at the sentence in bold in original post. Not that is happens is sad. How it happened is sad.
Why is it sad for one company to buy out and essentially absorb another? Mobipocket was a business like any other; if Amazon hadn't bought them out, they might have gone out of business of their own accord.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:19 PM   #8
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Apparently they announced it in November, and the change went through in January ( http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...ket-2000-2011/ )

I don't view this as a "sad" chapter, it's just the nature of technology, especially since you had years of warning. You might as well lament the loss of cassettes, the 8-track, beta tapes, Atari 800 cartridges and punch cards while you're at it.
I miss punch cards. I had great fun playing with them when I was a kid.
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:30 PM   #9
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogle View Post
I miss punch cards. I had great fun playing with them when I was a kid.
They had their uses.
At least one ebook started there:
http://snarkmarket.com/2011/7508
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:10 PM   #10
krischik
Addict

that and how

Quote:
Why is it sad for one company to buy out and essentially absorb another? Mobipocket was a business like any other; if Amazon hadn't bought them out, they might have gone out of business of their own accord.
I am am confused now. Could it be that you have problems distinguishing between that and how? I am not blaming you — maybe you are not a native English speaker. In which case I will gladly explain it to you. Just tell me.

Otherwise, read my post again — more carefully. I am not saying that it is sad that Amazon bought Mobipocket. How Amazon handled the process is sad.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:10 PM   #11
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
Quote:
I am am confused now. Could it be that you have problems distinguishing between that and how? I am not blaming you — maybe you are not a native English speaker. In which case I will gladly explain it to you. Just tell me.

Otherwise, read my post again — more carefully. I am not saying that it is sad that Amazon bought Mobipocket. How Amazon handled the process is sad.
I guess I'm not following you either. Amazon did us a favor by leaving the software (mobipocket reader and creator) in place for a while while the rest of the shop was closing, and we all new it was closing. For years...
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:30 AM   #12
krischik
Addict

Sorry we are closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnmr View Post
while the rest of the shop was closing, and we all new it was closing.
But the Shop is not closed yet. Only the database has been wiped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnmr View Post
For years...
That is another point I critique: It takes to long. And there is still no “Sorry we are closed” sign.

Just wiping the database is pathetic. If you want to close the shop do it properly and wipe the hole web site and put up a “Sorry we are closed” sign.

And the later would include transferring my 200 Mobipocket books purchases to the Kindle store.

Amazon will stay my least preferred supplier until that happens.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:24 PM   #13
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Well, they are *still* selling dictionaries and offering up PD ebook downloads so its not exactly closed, yet.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:37 PM   #14
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
And the later would include transferring my 200 Mobipocket books purchases to the Kindle store.
And then somebody would be here crying about how it's a conspiracy to force them to buy a Kindle when they had a perfectly good original Palm 3 that they were reading their books on.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:10 AM   #15
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
Quote:
You might as well lament the loss of cassettes, the 8-track, beta tapes, Atari 800 cartridges and punch cards while you're at it.
All things which still work the way they were intended to today, even if you can't buy new media for them.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, mobipocket