Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-19-2011, 12:33 PM   #1
jabberwock_11
Addict
jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Aluratek Libre Pro
Looking for some NON-military sci-fi

I enjoy the occasional military sci-fi novel or series, some of them are even pretty great (Old Man's War and Forever War are two good examples), but lately I have become totally burnt out by all of the military sci-fi that's out there. It seems as if three out of every four new sci-fi books are military sci-fi.

I would really like it if I could get some good recommendations for non-military sci-fi novels, especially books in a series. There are a lot of good individual non-military sci-fi novels, but I haven't really come across too many that are a part of a series. (The Hitchhiker's Guide is one exception.)

I really enjoyed The Repossession Mambo, Regarding Ducks and Universes, Agent to the Stars, and Ready Player One if that gives you fine folks any kind of guide to the sort of tastes that I have.

Hopefully some other people out there will be in the same boat that I am and this post will be able to point out some options to others who like their futures free of armored battalions, tactics, and alien armies.
jabberwock_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:47 PM   #2
OneandonlyDoc
Fearless Writer
OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi
If you haven't checked out McDevitt's Alex Benedict books, I'd recommend those. They're science fiction mysteries and I've found them to be quite good. Alex is an antiquities collector, and his work has a tendency to get him into some interesting situations.

The first book in that set is A Talent for War, but don't let the title mislead you. Benedict and his partner Chase are just hunting down traces of a long-lost hero.
OneandonlyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2011, 12:59 PM   #3
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
C. J. Cherryh's Foreigner series is impressive.

Alistair Reynolds is building a detailed future with his Revelation Space books. Try "Chasm City" unless you're a stickler for chronological order (he's filling in the gaps with short stories and other novels anyway).

Closer to home and similar to the blurbs I'm reading for the titles you posted, you could take a look at Charles Stross's "The Atrocity Archives" and its sequels (though for me it's one of his weaker books). His Family Trade series is good and has the world jumping angle.

Graham

Last edited by Graham; 09-19-2011 at 01:09 PM. Reason: added the Family Trade series.
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:09 PM   #4
mikaelalind
Fanatic
mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Cybook Odessey
If you want a good Science Fiction I recommend Endless Blue by Wen Spencer. If you want Science Fiction with a large dose of Fantasy I recommend Tinker and Wolf Who Rules, also by Wen Spencer.
Oh. Jeffery A Carver. You will never look at the stars in the same way once you have read the Chaos Chronicles .
Also, it might be worth using the Fictionwise coupon to snag Science Fiction books from E-reads that might interest you.
mikaelalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:11 PM   #5
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Timothy Zahn's _Ikarus Hunt_ is quite good.
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2011, 01:50 PM   #6
jabberwock_11
Addict
jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Aluratek Libre Pro
Huh, some how I posted this in the Deals/Freebies section instead of the reading recommendations area...didn't mean to do that.

Thanks to every one who has given me ideas so far, it's nice to know that there are some good options out there.
jabberwock_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 02:41 PM   #7
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Spin by Robert Charles Wilson, The Sparrow by Maria Doria Russell. The latter has a Jesuit priest making first contact with another civilization, and it goes terribly wrong.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 03:33 PM   #8
OneandonlyDoc
Fearless Writer
OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Spin by Robert Charles Wilson, The Sparrow by Maria Doria Russell. The latter has a Jesuit priest making first contact with another civilization, and it goes terribly wrong.

eP

The Sparrow was pretty amazing...but it's not for the faint of heart. She did publish a follow-up to it, though I don't recall the title. We actually read that in an Anthropology in Fiction class I took (it was the book representing linguistics).
OneandonlyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 04:00 PM   #9
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
I really enjoyed Julian May's Intervention, Galactic Milieu, and Pliocene Exile series. Unfortunately I can only find the Galactic Milieu series in ebook format, at least legally (the ... less than legal stuff is also poorly formatted and has a ton of typos and other issues). The rest haven't made the transition yet it seems.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 04:36 PM   #10
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneandonlyDoc View Post
If you haven't checked out McDevitt's Alex Benedict books, I'd recommend those.
I'd go so far as to recommend all of McDevitt's books, and if you like series, his Priscilla "Hutch" Hutchins novels are as good as his Benedict novels. I love McDevitt's approach to space travel and exploration, taking into account the vast distances involved, and seeing every encounter almost as an archeological expedition-slash-history lesson.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 04:48 PM   #11
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Is Ringworld by Larry Niven considered Military Sci-Fi?
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:19 PM   #12
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Maybe Phillip Jose Farmer's Riverworld series? I haven't read them all yet but I'd class what I've read as 'wild adventure' SF.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:46 PM   #13
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Dragon's Egg by Robert L. Forward

It is about the rise of civilization on a neutron star.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:06 PM   #14
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Try the Sector General series by James White.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:10 PM   #15
A4-
Connoisseur
A4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheese

Device: iRex iLiad v2
Niven's Ringworld series isn't military it's sci-fi-adventure imo.

You might like John Ringo's "Troy rising" series. It's recent, action packed and not military (but does have a few military-ish moments).
A4- is offline   Reply With Quote