Notices

Old 09-01-2011, 03:33 AM   #1
Geco
Zealot
Geco doesn't litterGeco doesn't litter

Device: Touch, Aura
Red face Buying Odissey

Hi all,
I'm going to buy a Kobo eReader Touch (together with a colleague), but we live in Italy... soooo difficult.

We started from the "Where to buy" on Kobo site:

1. Wal-mart has no online shop (at least from here);

2. Indigo Canada is great (cool covers) but does not ship the Touch (only the covers) outside Canada (but it tells this only when confirming order...

3. Bestbuy as well, does not ship outside USA/Canada;

4. Same for Fry's.

5. I thought Borders shipped outside USA, no other information received. Before placing an order, I've asked confirmation than they are not (yet) out of business and they told us they will receive the order an ship the things with no problems. So, we placed the order, received an SMS from credit card company... and at the same time received an error from the order page in Borders site... so sent a mail and received a confirmation that the billing address cannot be outside US so the order is invalid... and in 3-5 days money will be returned (I hope!).

6. Now we're trying ordering thorugh Swindon Books (Hong Kong). Order form on the web page is quite raw, with card infos, name and email... and "You'll be contacted through email or fax for order details" meaning that there is no text field for shipping/billing address, no ship expenses evaluation... there should be a man reading each single order form and contacting all people buying... Manual management!
Well, anyway at least they've already replied to my mail saying that shipping to Italy costs 280HKD (about 36 USD or 25 EUR or 22 GBP and so on) and that "It is expected that the lead time of the delivery is 2 - 5 days.".
Let's see what happens...
Geco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:21 AM   #2
molman
Evangelist
molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
IxiaAurea bought on eBay US delivery only and used a forwarding service to AU => (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=10)

Donatus got one shipped successfully from Swindon Books to AU =>
(https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=80)

A lot of us abroad used Borders US, but obviously that is getting a little messy with them exiting the market.

Using a forwarding service you could have tried any of the US only (and CA only?) shops... but as I listed someone has had success with Swindon so I don't see why you shouldn't either. Let us know how you go.
molman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2011, 09:30 AM   #3
Geco
Zealot

Received and confirmed order from Swindow, 280 Hong Kong Dollars for shipping to Italy (1-2 weeks) that is about €25 or $36. Bought two black Touch, total of €278,28 shipping included, €139 each (about $198 or £122 or 185AUD or 15230JPY and so on...)
Waiting for the reader...

Last edited by Geco; 09-02-2011 at 09:32 AM.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:37 AM   #4
Geco
Zealot

Shipped on September 5th, unfortunately Italy does not support Hong Kong mail tracking... unless all other Europe countries...

Italian borders custom has received shipping notification and got in touch with me for VAT payment...
Old 09-09-2011, 09:38 AM   #5
Geco
Zealot

Arrived!!! Shipped on 5th from Hong Kong, borders custom intercepted on 6th and arrived at home today!!!

Damn €83,3 euros for VAT and taxes... Single Kobo is €139,85 (with shipping) and a total of €181,50 euros each Kobo (bought two).

Last edited by Geco; 09-09-2011 at 09:40 AM.
Advert
Old 09-09-2011, 10:16 AM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Great news! Hope it was worth all the hassles.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:03 AM   #7
Geco
Zealot

Funny thing is:
* 1 day from HK to Italy... (maybe 9000km?!);
* 3 days from airport to my home (maybe 20km?!).

Eh eh eh... gotta stop working and go home to have fun with my wife (first) and the Kobo (second)!