Old 06-27-2011, 01:34 AM   #1
jwillard
jwillard
jwillard began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader PRS-650
Error message: Invalid Type

Hello!
I am desperate!

I received an eReader for Christmas, along with my mother. We both have encountered the same problem (with same edition eReader) and on two separate computers/operating systems (Windows vista, and Windows XP). I believe the error message started after an upgrade we both did (I haven't been able to find a way yet to download a previous version to the current 3.3).

anyways! basically the reader is connected to the computer (through USB obviously) and instantly an error message that only says "invalid type" is displayed on the reader library screen. Because of the error the reader isn't able to be synced at all, and I also can no longer view my books through the drop down library menu in the left toolbar. The arrow on the left displays that the library should be open, but nothing happens.

I have done plenty of research and have yet to find an answer. As well I have worked on it for countless hours on my own. I have a pretty good understanding of computers, and have been struggling with this problem. I have tried the obvious restarting the computer, ejecting (which doesnt work through the reader library anymore, have to close program, and use the Windows tool to "safely remove hardware") and plugging it back in, I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling the software, no luck. As previously mentioned, I have looked for earlier software, have tried doing a system restore to an earlier point (I don't think i had before the upgrade saved though), I have tried finding my books through my computer manually, and adding them without the software, with no luck either. I may be forgetting a few other things, but point I'm trying to make is I feel like i tried everything!

Please help! Any questions/comments are greatly appreciated!

Ps. Sorry for rambling on.
jwillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 04:37 AM   #2
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
When the reader is connected to your PC via the USB lead does it appear in Windows Explorer?

You should see four new drives: reader database, installer, and one each for the card slots. If you don't see these then it seems to me the the relevant USB drivers are not installed or have been corrupted.

You can also have a look in device manager to see it the reader is listed under the USB devices. If it's there try deleting the drivers and reinstalling them.

About all I can think of I'm afraid.
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2011, 08:57 PM   #3
jwillard
jwillard
jwillard began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader PRS-650
It does appear in windows explorer as "reader" and "settings".

I tried uninstalling/reinstalling the drivers, and the same error message appears when opening the reader.

Thanks for the suggestion though, it was worth a shot.
jwillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:24 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Have you tried running check disk (chkdsk)? Maybe it;s a problem with the filesystem.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:15 AM   #5
perilous
perilous has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-650
I had the same problem at one stage. It was caused by a corrupted file system on the Reader itself. Chkdsk didn't fix it for me, though I think it is still worth trying. After chkdsk failed to fix it I resorted to formatting the Reader memory (Settings->Initialization->Format Memory). Of course, this will completely remove all your books from your Reader. So if you have any books on the Reader that aren't also on your PC be sure to copy them to your PC first!
perilous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
error message, invalid type, prs 650, reader library software, sony