Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-03-2011, 06:09 PM   #1
sovre
Zealot
sovre began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Mini; iPhone; Kindle Paperwhite (10th gen)
one touch word definition

Since the iPod touch and iPad are touch screen devices I am surprised there is no ereader app that allows one touch word definition popups as are available on Sony's new devices. Would be great to have an app for the iDevices that allowed one to get definitions from both an English dictionary and foreign language translation dictionaries.

Right now I am using Stanza as my reader app. It only allows English language dictionary definitions and the process of getting one is rather cumbersome and interrupts one's reading, since you must switch to a new window, and then go back again to the text.

I wonder what is standing in the way of a technology like this being integrated into iPod and iPad reader apps?

Last edited by sovre; 03-03-2011 at 06:13 PM.
sovre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:15 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Both the Kindle app and iBooks do this already.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2011, 08:41 PM   #3
sovre
Zealot

I like the simple elegance of the iBooks app, but so far as I know iBooks can only use the built-in English dictionary app, and will only provide definitions for English words. As a result the reader is limited to the dictionary chosen by Apple (unless new options for customization have been implemented that I am not aware of).

What I am looking for (since I read both English and foreign language texts) is an app that allows one to customize the dictionary one would like to use or at least incorporates a selection of English to foreign language dictionaries which one may choose from (a feature of the latest line of Sony eReaders).

If that technology were available for the iPad or iPod Touch, I'd be able to use it as my exclusive eReading device, which would be nice.

If there is some way to use translation dictionaries with iBooks or another iDevice app, I'd love to know about it.. Otherwise here's hoping for the future...

Last edited by sovre; 03-03-2011 at 08:59 PM.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:54 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sovre View Post
Since the iPod touch and iPad are touch screen devices I am surprised there is no ereader app that allows one touch word definition popups as are available on Sony's new devices.
What "new devices" are you referring to? Sony's current models (350, 650, 950) require a double-tap on a word to see a dictionary definition, not one touch.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:13 AM   #5
Gray_Mouser
Gray_Mouser began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
I like the simple elegance of the iBooks app, but so far as I know iBooks can only use the built-in English dictionary app, and will only provide definitions for English words. As a result the reader is limited to the dictionary chosen by Apple (unless new options for customization have been implemented that I am not aware of).
Does IBooks support pdf files? And if yes, does it provide definitions by just touching (or double touching) a word?
Gray_Mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2011, 09:20 PM   #6
sovre
Zealot

Yes it supports PDF files, but in my (admittedly brief) experiments, the dictionary was not accessible. I was only able to use the dictionary when reading eupbs.

Last edited by sovre; 03-12-2011 at 08:47 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:09 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Yes it supports PDF files, but in my (admittedly brief) experiments, the dictionary was not accessible. I was only able to use the dictionary when reading eupbs. And it is not truly "one touch" in the way the Sony reader is--a new window slides up with the definition, and you must then press a button to close it. That, however, is still more convenient than the way Stanza's lookup works. Stanza is my main eReader though, because I prefer it overall to iBooks.
sovre, as I said in a previous post, the dictionary interface on Sony devices is not "one touch" - it requires TWO touches - a double-tap - to display the dictionary definition of a word.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote