Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 06-02-2009, 02:46 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
DR covers and power supply

I am on the verge of ordering a DR1000S . Two questions:

1. I see that there are two different covers available; a "flip" cover (which I assume opens vertically?) and a "deluxe" cover which open horizontally. Which is the better? Do both hold the machine in securely and provide good protection?

2. There is a "power supply" accessory available. Is this just a standard USB mains charger, or something fancier? If it's a standard USB charger, I shan't bother with it.

Thanks!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 03:01 AM   #2
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I am on the verge of ordering a DR1000S . Two questions:

1. I see that there are two different covers available; a "flip" cover (which I assume opens vertically?) and a "deluxe" cover which open horizontally. Which is the better? Do both hold the machine in securely and provide good protection?

2. There is a "power supply" accessory available. Is this just a standard USB mains charger, or something fancier? If it's a standard USB charger, I shan't bother with it.

Thanks!
I have the flip cover and like it a lot. It provides good protection and is less bulky than the deluxe cover. It seems to hold the DR in place pretty well.

I advise against the charger accessory. It is literally just an outlet plug with a USB connector on the bottom. I bought it and had problems with it fully charging the device and causing issues with the capacitive buttons. When I plug the DR into the computer to charger, it does well.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 03:06 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, PhishStyx - you've confirmed my initial impressions.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:17 AM   #4
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Hi Harry,

I have the flip cover and it provides good protection of the screen. The deluxe cover is way too bulky IMO. The disadvantage to the flip cover is that it doesn't stop foreign substances from getting in at the sides (I found this a problem when I took my DR to the beach).
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 03:19 AM   #5
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
I use the red/black flipover cover and I also like it a lot. It works really well for left-handers, too, as everything's accessible. I never remove the flipover cover. It has a 'hidden flap' for documents/business cards, which I wasn't aware of for the first couple of months!

The deluxe cover offers good protection, but I find it quite large and puffy. We sell many more flipovers than deluxe covers (10:1).

I use a HanLin USB wall charger with the DR - it works fine. Be aware that some wall chargers can cause strange problems with the DR, though.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40947
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 03:23 AM   #6
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Hi epiphany! You should look for one of these for your DR...

http://www.greatoutdoorsdirect.com.au/

Also see:
http://trendydigital.com/
They have a category for Kindle DX covers/cases, although I don't see any there yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iliad bag.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	30194  

Last edited by cbell; 06-02-2009 at 03:31 AM. Reason: Added second link
Old 06-02-2009, 04:57 AM   #7
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbell View Post
Hi epiphany! You should look for one of these for your DR...

http://www.greatoutdoorsdirect.com.au/

Also see:
http://trendydigital.com/
They have a category for Kindle DX covers/cases, although I don't see any there yet.
That is exactly what I need! Do you think the capacitive buttons would work through the material?
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 05:33 AM   #8
cbell
Frenetic

Very good question, and I don't know... let's do some tests. (There's another thread about using severed fingers to activate capacitive sensors.)

With all the text on the DR's screen, you won't have to change pages often.

Harry, this video gives a clear view of the deluxe cover. You'll see it has extra space at the top for a couple of pens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smtp8P267Zs&NR=1

epiphany, I bought a light wedge (non-Sony) off ebay. I'll bring it to our meetup.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:02 AM   #9
yingwu
Addict
yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: 1000s
The problem is which one could provide better, safer protection to DR. You know, DR uses PVI screen with something like glass material. Is the screen frangible? Being bulky is OK, but I also want to know which one is more reliable to protect the screen.

Also, could anyone tell me the difference between the styluses? There are professional, advanced and normal ones. Thanks much.
yingwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:32 AM   #10
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
The flip cover is excellent, holds other pens and has space for blank sheets of paper, SD cards and other credit card size bits and pieces.

It will charge from any usb charger, so if you have one already use it. It would need to give out at least 500mA, but that should be pretty standard.

There were some photos showing teh differnet covers in an earlier thread, you could see if they show up in a search.

regards
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 02:22 AM   #11
cbell
Frenetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphany View Post
That is exactly what I need! Do you think the capacitive buttons would work through the material?
The capacitive sensors are working fine through 2 layers of plastic ziplock bag.

They're not totally reliable through 4 layers of plastic, but they do work well enough to be usable.

Interestingly, three of the sensors work reliably when I press them through my business card (the same three work every time). All my sensors are unlocked.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:40 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I ended up buying the flip cover - it looks very good, and seems to hold the DR in place firmly enough. I didn't buy the charger - my existing USB charger which I use for my other devices seems to work just fine.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:16 AM   #13
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
I personally like the flip cover better aswell. The deluxe one looks nice, but its too bulky for me.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 12:12 PM   #14
Grimulkan
Lord
Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Q1 (on way out), PRS505, DR1000S (dead :<), TC1100 (10'' perfection!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbell View Post
[...] Interestingly, three of the sensors work reliably when I press them through my business card (the same three work every time). All my sensors are unlocked.
I noticed this too. I suspect that there are tiny variations in how each sensor is calibrated, or variations in the thickness of the plastic on top of each sensor perhaps, so that some are more sensitive than others.
Grimulkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 12:26 PM   #15
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by pthwaite View Post
It will charge from any usb charger, so if you have one already use it. It would need to give out at least 500mA, but that should be pretty standard.
The DR1000 is pretty picky about the voltage as well. The USB spec says it's supposed to be 5V, but there are some cheap wall chargers out there that don't follow it very closely. I know of at least one case where a DR1000 reseller that was offering a USB wall charger as an accessory that was only putting out 2V. Lots of DR users were reporting problems with it, so I don't think it was just a single bad piece of hardware.

I think with those third party chargers, you've got some good brands and some bad ones. The DR seems to be a little more picky than other USB devices, so bad brands cause more problems with it.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote