Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 04-10-2016, 12:45 PM   #1
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Audible book disappeared

Here's a reason to keep backups. I was just poking around at Audible, checking on some authors, and happened to notice that a book I was sure I'd bought and listened to was missing--presumably having gone out of print in audio version. Curious, I found said book in Audible Manager, but it's not listed at all in my Audible library, and I don't see any way to re-download it.

As I routinely delete Audible's aa and aax files from my hard drive once I read a book, if I had relied on Audible's cloud, I'd apparently be out of luck. Happily, I convert and save the mp3 files.

This is why I don't trust the cloud.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 12:49 PM   #2
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
How did you convert to MP3?
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 12:57 PM   #3
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Aaxtomp3

The link to the zip file is just above the Discussion section.
Old 04-10-2016, 01:04 PM   #4
Paegan2246
Connoisseur
Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Touch, iPod Touch, 3-160GB iPod classics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
How did you convert to MP3?
We both use: https://sourceforge.net/p/aaxtomp3/tickets/

I've been using this program to convert audible.com books to mp3. Been a bit of a long process but I will get it done eventually.

I've also had a couple of my old audible files disappear. Clavell's Shogun was one of the files. They came out with a new version with a different narrater.
Paegan2246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 01:08 PM   #5
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I tried them got lost Care to give a Step by Step simple direction to a Non Techy? PLEASE!!!! PM the directions IF you want....
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 01:09 PM   #6
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Here's a reason to keep backups. I was just poking around at Audible, checking on some authors, and happened to notice that a book I was sure I'd bought and listened to was missing--presumably having gone out of print in audio version. Curious, I found said book in Audible Manager, but it's not listed at all in my Audible library, and I don't see any way to re-download it.

As I routinely delete Audible's aa and aax files from my hard drive once I read a book, if I had relied on Audible's cloud, I'd apparently be out of luck. Happily, I convert and save the mp3 files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paegan2246 View Post
I've also had a couple of my old audible files disappear. Clavell's Shogun was one of the files. They came out with a new version with a different narrater.
Ray Bradbury's Dandelion Wine disappeared from Audible for me. I had listened to it, so not the end of the world, but....

And, thank you. This is my wake-up call to download the Aubrey/Maturin books I bought from Downpour, since the rights have been withdrawn from the Simon Vance version. And I have no excuses at all, since they're DRM-free.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 06:47 PM   #7
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:

I've had audible books disappear from my library, but especially from my wishlist. That's why I tend to go ahead and buy books even with a big to be listened to list.

My tend to buy in batches, so my normal process is
1) download the books.
2) copy the original to a backup directory
3) add books to iTunes.
4) remove DRM and put in a different backup directory
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 07:21 PM   #8
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I've had audible books disappear from my library, but especially from my wishlist. That's why I tend to go ahead and buy books even with a big to be listened to list.

My tend to buy in batches, so my normal process is
1) download the books.
2) copy the original to a backup directory
3) add books to iTunes.
4) remove DRM and put in a different backup directory
I download, convert to mp3, save one copy of the mp3 on my hard drive and one copy on a backup drive, and delete the original Audible file. After I listen to the book I copy to an mp3 CD and delete from the hard drive.
Old 04-10-2016, 09:51 PM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I've also had a book disappear from Audible. A quick email to their CS and the book was added back into my account. I do need to get better about de-DRMing all of my stuff like I do with eBooks.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:59 PM   #10
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I've also had a book disappear from Audible. A quick email to their CS and the book was added back into my account. I do need to get better about de-DRMing all of my stuff like I do with eBooks.
Was it a book they're no longer offering?
Old 04-10-2016, 10:05 PM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Was it a book they're no longer offering?
No, it was Across the Nightingale Floor by Lian Hern and it's still offered (found it was missing completely by chance). No idea if it's a different "edition" now or not though. I do have some books in my library that don't match up to the currently available for sale version even though it's the same book (from the same company with the same narrator).
Old 04-10-2016, 11:10 PM   #12
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
No, it was Across the Nightingale Floor by Lian Hern and it's still offered (found it was missing completely by chance). No idea if it's a different "edition" now or not though. I do have some books in my library that don't match up to the currently available for sale version even though it's the same book (from the same company with the same narrator).
The one I'm missing (Island of Lost Girls by Jennifer McMahon) is apparently out of print; Audible doesn't list it at all, and at Amazon, although there's a product page, it's no longer available as an audiobook.

So I'm guessing that Audible wouldn't be able to restore it if I asked. It seems to me that they should have left it in my account, though; if they're going to delete it, they should refund my purchase price or credit.

Since for me it's a moot point, I'm not going to pursue it, but I don't see how they have a right to deny me access to a purchase I made, especially without notifying me and giving me a chance to re-download if I needed to.
Old 04-10-2016, 11:14 PM   #13
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

I have books that are "out of print" in my account and still have access to them. AFAIK Audible is just like Amazon and always keeps a copy of stuff even after it goes off sale so that customers who bought it can retain access. I suppose even if they couldn't restore it that it might net you a free credit if you decide to pursue it.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:45 AM   #14
skinmaan
Wizard
skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android tablet, Kindle KB
Quote:
I had the exact same problem. After I noticed the title had disappeared 1 call to CS and I was able to get it resolved. One tip to make the process quicker: go to your order history and find the exact date you purchased the title. The CS rep can see that too and the process goes a lot faster after that.

The excuse I got was that they had problems with some older accounts that had user names, when they rolled them into merging with your Amazon account. I don't know if I buy that, but it's what they said.
skinmaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 03:20 PM   #15
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Since for me it's a moot point, I'm not going to pursue it, but I don't see how they have a right to deny me access to a purchase I made, especially without notifying me and giving me a chance to re-download if I needed to.
I realize it's moot for you, but would you consider calling CS and asking them to restore it to your library just to inform us of what happens?

It doesn't make sense. When a book goes "out of print" they don't recall copies from people who already own it!

If you don't get a simple "oops, sorry, it's back now" response, then I need to start downloading and converting a lot of stuff real soon. And frankly, I'd rather continue to put that off....
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote