Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-21-2013, 09:10 AM   #16
Japes
Addict
Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350,Sony PRS-950,Pocketbook 360+,B&N Nook Simple Touch Reader
After spending the better part of 1.5 hours on live chat, and, confirming that the machine is, in fact, non-functioning, they proceeded to indicate to me that, because it has been more than 15 days since the order date (9/3/13 order date), I could not return this for a refund. I indicated to them that it has been significantly LESS than 15 days from the date of receipt (last Tuesday...11 days ago) and that the machine is NOT WORKING. Too bad, basically.

LOL.

So, I had to call my credit card and dispute the charge. The provisional credit has already been applied.

But, I can't help but think that, with Amazon, something like this would simply NEVER happen.
Japes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:13 AM   #17
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japes View Post
So I just got this a few days ago and, when I opened my sleep cover today it said "Sleeping." Tried flicking the power switch...nothing. Tried holding the power switch in for like 20 seconds...nothing.
just wondering: could the magnet have messed things up? Perhaps worth trying waving a magnet about to see whether it wakes your Aura up?
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:33 AM   #18
Japes
Addict
Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Will try that, thanks.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:15 PM   #19
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:

So, I had to call my credit card and dispute the charge. The provisional credit has already been applied.
Too my mind this action by you is not ethical.

Did you attempt to ask Kobo for an exchange under warranty?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:03 PM   #20
Japes
Addict

I did not want an exchange. What I paid for is not working and I did not wish to deal with them in the future. Legally I'm entitled to a refund and citizens agreed with me. I wanted to return for a refund. I would gladly have done so.

My action is far from unethical. And in reading some kobocustomer service reviews online I see why they have the reputation they do.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:38 AM   #21
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
What I find "unethical" would be Kobo's actions, as described. 15 days warranty on the function of the device? The "warranty" time period starting when the order was placed, not when the transaction is completed? It looks, to me, that Kobo's practices might be somewhat questionable in nature.

(Shoe fitting some more.)

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:44 AM   #22
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Yes; however there are means of requesting a different support person; of requesting escalation to another level of management.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:49 AM   #23
dilysb
dilysb began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300; Imagin IMEB5
Ignore the dire warnings about only using the Kobo charger. Any USB minijack will do and a wall charger is much quicker - I quite often use my Samsung 'phone charger. I think ALL the promised long battery usages for e-readers are untrue; I read a lot and am constantly re-charging.
dilysb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:19 AM   #24
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilysb View Post
Ignore the dire warnings about only using the Kobo charger. Any USB minijack will do and a wall charger is much quicker - I quite often use my Samsung 'phone charger. I think ALL the promised long battery usages for e-readers are untrue; I read a lot and am constantly re-charging.
Too rapid charging or discharging of Lithium batteries has been the source of real problems for manufacturers. I am sure that the warnings you mention are something the legal staff would be insisting on. Prudent users should have no real problems unless there is some failure of the protection circuits.

Li batteries don't suffer from the memory effect, so frequently "topping off"
the batteries in not a problem. One thing to keep in mind though is that all batteries (available for users) have their lifetimes shortened by internal heating during charging, the more current used (to shorten the charging time) the more rapidly the batteries are damaged and wear out. This is true for Li batteries, as well. So, using a low power charger will take longer but your batteries will last longer. I often use a 500mw USB charger and my USB charged devices aren't taking that long to charge.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:20 AM   #25
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
What I find "unethical" would be Kobo's actions, as described. 15 days warranty on the function of the device? The "warranty" time period starting when the order was placed, not when the transaction is completed? It looks, to me, that Kobo's practices might be somewhat questionable in nature.

Luck;
Ken
From memory, I believe the warranty is a one year limited warranty. I think what japes was looking for was a return with full refund, no questions asked. Kobo's policy on this is fifteen days; if you purchase online from a retailer such as ChaptersIndigo, the return period is thirty days.
llcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:18 PM   #26
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by llcj View Post
From memory, I believe the warranty is a one year limited warranty. I think what japes was looking for was a return with full refund, no questions asked. Kobo's policy on this is fifteen days; if you purchase online from a retailer such as ChaptersIndigo, the return period is thirty days.
It does not matter. The device was shipped out. Warranty should be from date of receipt. Regardless its really no skin off of Kobos' nose to do a refund + or minus a few days. Regardless had they offered to give him a choice of a refund or a replacement may have gone a long way to provide superior customer service and customer retention.

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:05 PM   #27
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:

While I don't approve of the practice, I've dealt with quite a few vendors who started the warranty period when the order was placed or the devices were shipped. As you said, questionable at best but not all that uncommon either.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:43 PM   #28
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Moderator Notice
Opinions differ and just because someone doesn't share your negative view on how Kobo handles things doesn't mean that he or she secretly works for them. MobileRead prides itself on being an open community where fellow members treat each other with respect. Let's keep it that way.

Thanks for your consideration.

Alex
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 03:29 PM   #29
Japes
Addict

Starting anything from the date of order (be it the warranty or the return period) is absurd. My question to the girl was..."had you then taken 15 days to ship the order (which they didn't, of course), would I then be out of my return period before the order had even shipped?"

It's a ridiculous, borderline illegal policy. No skin off my teeth. My money has been refunded to me conditionally, and, I'm quite certain, permanently.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:38 AM   #30
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Starting anything from the date of order (be it the warranty or the return period) is absurd. My question to the girl was..."had you then taken 15 days to ship the order (which they didn't, of course), would I then be out of my return period before the order had even shipped?"

It's a ridiculous, borderline illegal policy. No skin off my teeth. My money has been refunded to me conditionally, and, I'm quite certain, permanently.
I have to agree with this. For in-store purchases, it's reasonable although more time is nice.

To me, however, the warranty and return policy are two different things.

Last edited by llcj; 09-23-2013 at 07:55 AM.
llcj is offline   Reply With Quote