Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-12-2013, 02:16 PM   #16
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
I am not worried about "user files" much, but about programmes - I'd be using it for work, and I have plenty of statistical packages and the like that take up a lot of space with installation - I presume they cannot be installed on an external drive, right? (please don't shoot )
It is full Windows so the answer would be "yes" for 99.99% of programs.

On full Windows external drives and internal partitions all look the same; a different drive letter. (With newer versions you can play tricks to fool even badly-behaved programs.) And it is considered good coding practice since Win95 to allow programs to run from anywhere, not just the programs directory.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:23 AM   #17
djulian
Evangelist
djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I'm stuck between the Surface Pro and the Lenovo Thinkpad Helix. I'm in love with my Lenovo keyboard--they make the best in the world--and it matches the Pro on specs, except it has double the SSD space. Also, it's $500 more.

First world problems...
djulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:17 AM   #18
WatchAdam
Enthusiast
WatchAdam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WatchAdam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WatchAdam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WatchAdam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WatchAdam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WatchAdam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WatchAdam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WatchAdam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WatchAdam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WatchAdam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WatchAdam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'm intrigued by the convertibles but haven't found the perfect one yet.

I've got a decent laptop already -- what I really want is basically the equivalent of a netbook -- something portable and mainly good for writing and web browsing on the go. Since I'm a writer and I want to use Scrivener and Final Draft, it has to be a Windows 8, not RT. But I don't want to spend laptop-replacement prices.

Surface Pro looks great but $900 not including the keyboard is a lot. Surface RT is not an option since I can't install Scrivener or Final Draft.
WatchAdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:25 AM   #19
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
The Type Cover keyboard would tempt me more if it were Bluetooth. Having to have it physically connected to the device in order to use it is a pain.

The Touch cover doesn't impress me at all.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:26 AM   #20
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchAdam View Post

I've got a decent laptop already -- what I really want is basically the equivalent of a netbook -- something portable and mainly good for writing and web browsing on the go. Since I'm a writer and I want to use Scrivener and Final Draft, it has to be a Windows 8, not RT. But I don't want to spend laptop-replacement prices.

Surface Pro looks great but $900 not including the keyboard is a lot. Surface RT is not an option since I can't install Scrivener or Final Draft.
I read about one that would fit your bill on engadget.com a few days ago, but can't remember the brand for the life of me. I think it was around $600 - you may want to check their articles from this week.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:32 AM   #21
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
The Type Cover keyboard would tempt me more if it were Bluetooth. Having to have it physically connected to the device in order to use it is a pain.

The Touch cover doesn't impress me at all.
That is what I thought at first. But by now (a few months on) I am almost as fast as I am on a regular keyboard. And it is wonderfully thin and weighs virtually nothing. Of course, you can still use any Blutooth or USB keyboard.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:38 AM   #22
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Does the Surface have built-in Bluetooth capabilities?
Old 01-13-2013, 03:01 AM   #23
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Does the Surface have built-in Bluetooth capabilities?
Yes, it has BT.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:05 AM   #24
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Thanks, xendula. That's good to know.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:06 PM   #25
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I've been waiting and will probably be getting one.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:23 PM   #26
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
What's the boot time on this (or RT since few have had their hands on one of these)? I love the idea of having full windows in a small device, but my Playbook with BT keyboard is swipe and virtually instant on when I leave it in sleep (and really takes very little battery in sleep). That for me would be the key make or break on the decision. Although I have to admit that I really like the Playbook size (tall paperbook) is nice to drag around and not sure I want the extra size of the Surface.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:34 PM   #27
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
What's the boot time on this (or RT since few have had their hands on one of these)? I love the idea of having full windows in a small device, but my Playbook with BT keyboard is swipe and virtually instant on when I leave it in sleep (and really takes very little battery in sleep). That for me would be the key make or break on the decision. Although I have to admit that I really like the Playbook size (tall paperbook) is nice to drag around and not sure I want the extra size of the Surface.

Should be the same as the regular Win 8 laptops, which are very close to instant on.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:53 PM   #28
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchAdam View Post

My Samsung ATIV Smart PC 500T sounds like a perfect fit for you. It's 32 bit Windows 8 running on a dual core Atom chip. It's not going to work for heavy duty graphics or games, but for writing and browsing it's plenty. Amazon has them for $599 US without the keyboard dock, and $749 with.

I made the mistake of buying one without the keyboard, and am now having a hard time finding the stand alone keyboard.

BTW, the above referenced bloatware issue on the Sammy is virtually nonexistent. Any Samsung specific software is at least useful, and at best necessary. The only thing I removed/replaced is the Symantec antivirus. And then only because I have access to free antivirus packages through both my work and my ISP.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:01 PM   #29
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
The ATIV comes up instantly from sleep and less than 30 seconds from full shutdown. It does not have the old hibernate feature, so if you have unsaved work you need to use sleep.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:11 PM   #30
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
My Samsung ATIV Smart PC 500T sounds like a perfect fit for you. It's 32 bit Windows 8 running on a dual core Atom chip. It's not going to work for heavy duty graphics or games, but for writing and browsing it's plenty. Amazon has them for $599 US without the keyboard dock, and $749 with.

I made the mistake of buying one without the keyboard, and am now having a hard time finding the stand alone keyboard.

BTW, the above referenced bloatware issue on the Sammy is virtually nonexistent. Any Samsung specific software is at least useful, and at best necessary. The only thing I removed/replaced is the Symantec antivirus. And then only because I have access to free antivirus packages through both my work and my ISP.
Isn't the Ativ 500 RT?