Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 11-17-2012, 11:38 AM   #1
Janet McC
Janet McC began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle keyboard 3rd gen 3G
RTF -> MOBI TOC problem

I have Calibre v 0.9.4.

I've created an RTF file of recipes from the web, using Word 2010. I'd like to be able to read it on my Kindle in the kitchen.

Each is copied in as text, single-spaced, with the title an h1 header. I also create a table of contents by bookmarking each recipe. The first time I tried this, it worked -- I had my bookmarked TOC at the start, and the generated TOC at the end.

Now, my created table of contents has some bookmarked links and some munging. It doesn't copy over, but in these two examples, the first line of each set of three (e.g. Anarchist) is a bookmarked link, and
the next (e.g. Basic) is not.

What am I doing wrong?

Anarchist Oatmeal Cookies
graph-definition>
Basic oatmeal cookies

Betty Crocker basic Brown Sugar-Oatmeal Cookies
graph-definition>
Martha Stewart’s oatmeal cookies
Janet McC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:44 AM   #2
Janet McC

part 2

Here are the file I loaded into Calibre and the mobi file. I used the "no lines between paragraphs" option.

Last edited by Janet McC; 11-17-2012 at 11:44 AM. Reason: didn't see attached files.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:48 AM   #3
Janet McC

trying again to attach files

trying again to attach source RTF and product mobi files.
Attached Files
File Type: mobi oatmeal cookies - Janet McConnaughey.mobi (139.9 KB, 191 views)
File Type: rtf oatmeal cookies.rtf (95.8 KB, 235 views)
Old 11-18-2012, 03:12 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/conv...word-documents
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:47 AM   #5
Janet McC

confusion

Thanks. I'm a bit confused, though. The link is to a section about doc/docx files, and I'm storing as RTF. I'm also using the Header 1 formatting suggested a section or two below.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:35 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Dont use RTF, open your rtf file in word and save as webpage filetered, then convert the resulting html file in calibre. You will likely get better results.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:01 AM   #7
Janet McC

I saved as Webpage Filtered. It shows up on Windowso Explore as Webpage Filtered. but when I use Add Books, it shows up listed in Calibre as a Zip file, and Calibre cannot open it.

Also, I now have four iterations of the same metadata.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:25 AM   #8
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
It is normal for a HTML eBook to be stored in Calibre as a ZIP file (because often such a book actually consists of multiple files).

What exactly do you mean when you say that Calibre cannot open it (i.e. what error are you seeing)? I regularly add HTML based eBooks to Calibre and then convert them to other formats as needed.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:47 AM   #9
Janet McC

The error I'm seeing is

calibre, version 0.9.4
WARNING: Could not convert some books: Could not convert 1 of 1 books, because no suitable source format was found.

oatmeal cookies
Old 11-21-2012, 09:59 AM   #10
Janet McC

Hunh. This time, it worked.

Is there any way to eliminate all the superfluous metadata files?
Old 11-21-2012, 12:50 PM   #11
Janet McC

Thanks, Kovidgoyal and itimpi!
Old 11-21-2012, 05:56 PM   #12
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet McC View Post
Is there any way to eliminate all the superfluous metadata files?
Not quite sure what you mean here? If you are talking about the files that Calibre stores inside the Calibre library with a book such as cover.jpg and metadata.opf, then the answer is no you cannot change this. If it is something else then maybe if you can clarify what you mean we can give an answer.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mobi, rtf, table of contents, toc