Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-13-2012, 01:55 PM   #16
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
I'm holding off getting a PW for the time being. I put a preorder for one a couple of days ago (am in the UK) but I've cancelled it after dithering for a while. Whilst I very much like the idea of the PW, I'm going to wait for a few months at least and see what happens with the screen issues that have been mentioned. In the meantime, I'm perfectly happy to keep my K3 which is now just over 2 years old, working flawlessly (touch wood!) and used a lot
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:11 PM   #17
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolina View Post
I'm holding off getting a PW for the time being. I put a preorder for one a couple of days ago (am in the UK) but I've cancelled it after dithering for a while. Whilst I very much like the idea of the PW, I'm going to wait for a few months at least and see what happens with the screen issues that have been mentioned. In the meantime, I'm perfectly happy to keep my K3 which is now just over 2 years old, working flawlessly (touch wood!) and used a lot
Keep in mind there are more satisfied than dissatisfied customers, based on forums and Amazon's reviews. Opinions of the new Paperwhite display are highly subjective, much like opinions on which headphones, or in-ear-monitors sound the best or the worst. What your eyes see and process will most likely be entirely different from someone else's. While there are some inconsistencies in displays, inluding some "lemons," the flurry of posts by some of us should not deter you from judging for yourself. I daresay you would not have cancelled your pre-order if you had not read the posts.

As Amazon offers a generous 30-day return policy, why not order and make a decision based on what you see with your eyes? That is the only way to know if the PW is for you or not.

Last edited by Skydog; 10-13-2012 at 03:19 PM.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2012, 04:07 PM   #18
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh I am absolutely aware that it is subjective, that plenty of people are very happy with theirs and that Amazon's CS is great. I am more than likely to get one at some point but not right now, there's no rush really. I don't regret cancelling my preorder at all.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:13 PM   #19
jmmcg9
Zealot
jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, iPad Pro (12.9”), iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPad Mini 5, Forma
David, thx for that tip! The swipe works well, so left hand holding is not a problem!
Cheers, joe
jmmcg9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:03 PM   #20
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Oh I am absolutely aware that it is subjective, that plenty of people are very happy with theirs and that Amazon's CS is great. I am more than likely to get one at some point but not right now, there's no rush really. I don't regret cancelling my preorder at all.
That's good!
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2012, 06:48 PM   #21
neonbible
Addict
neonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPhone 5, iPad Air, Nexus 7
Quote:
I'm with you there. The light technology is new, its exciting and desirable. But looking at all the feedback and photos/videos of it, its not quite at the quality I'd want from it. I'm sure Amazon will continuously improve it and I hope the next iteration will be much better. I still have a KK and am happy with it for now.
neonbible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:03 AM   #22
annoporci
Enthusiast
annoporci began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2019, Firmware 5.12.4
things to ponder

I'm a very new user, bought a Kindle Touch recently, so here are some comments from a newbie:

My experience is that the Touch has a very nice display. If light is not a problem for you, then you should have no problem reading with the Touch.

As it turns out, I'm using my Touch to read pdf articles, and hardly ever read a book these days. You can read a pdf with the Touch on the latest firmware. This is the reason why I bought the Touch. However, I find I need to select the darkest font, which needs to be reset for each article I read.

If you would read pdf, it'll be worth getting a Touch or higher.

The most disappointing thing to me about the Kindle Touch, but this may apply to other Kindles, is that managing collections is not efficient at all. After a discussion on mobileread, I reached the conclusion that you need to jailbreak the thing to manage collections efficiently.

You sound like someone with little time to waste, so Kindle Touch would probably give you a better "keyboard" experience. I have no problem with the "touch" of it. I do find the menus poorly designed, but that I think is a problem with the software that probably affects other Kindles too. I don't think you'll find the Touch more convenient in this respect, but you won't hurt your fingers pressing on keys, it's smooth.
annoporci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:36 PM   #23
feelmaroon
Connoisseur
feelmaroon began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kindle 4, PW2, Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Aura One
Upgrade or not upgrade.

I think you can't go wrong if you want to try it. You have 30 days (a year actually if you have the pink and blue hues, you could always say they've come up and i'm sure CS will replace it. by then they'll have the kinks worked out hopefully). I got a jacked up first PW which looked like a rainbow of colors in the dark and then a replacement pw which was much better (still not great) with some annoying pinkish splotching in the dark. but during the day, the pw screen/font is really crisp to me (i have 1-5). touchscreen has improved a lot in my opinion from the k4touch but you lose the page numbers which sucks a**. gotta love the physical buttons of the basic kindle though (that 69 dollar one is a steal). win/win either way.

Last edited by feelmaroon; 10-17-2012 at 03:38 PM.
feelmaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:14 PM   #24
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
I "upgraded" from a K3K to a PW today, and so far I'd say I'm on the fence. The screen does not have as much contrast when the light is "off" (set to zero, which is still ever-so-slightly on) which is a big disappointment to me. To get the screen to look better than the old K3K screen, I have to turn the light up to about 12 (a little less than half) - at least that's how it looks indoors to me. That said, I'm enjoying the touchscreen more than I thought I would. Navigation is still a little clunky in periodicals, but in books it's great and being able to highlight and share through the touch interface is much better than using the d-pad, as is navigating the store with the touchscreen + virtual keyboard. Collections are also pretty easy to manage, I find, but that's not something I use much.

There are a few things I would change on the KPW (like being able to turn off the light for real!) but so far it's pretty good. I'm going to live with it for a week and see how I feel. It might stick, but I might just keep the K3K until the KPW2 comes out and imrpoves things like contrast and lighting.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:16 PM   #25
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Great idea

Quote:
My PW came in great. However, there are too many complaints about the screen here. Wait until January to order. By then all the QC problems will have been resolved.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:10 AM   #26
Yolina
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
My PW came in great. However, there are too many complaints about the screen here. Wait until January to order. By then all the QC problems will have been resolved.
My plan is to wait at least until the end of January before I even consider getting one. Hoping that once the rush for the latest model and Xmas presents is over (allowing a few weeks extra for replacements for these!), QC will improve and/or something in the manufacturing process will be different. I'm one of those people who can clearly see the coloured blobs so it's most definitely sensible for me to wait
Old 10-18-2012, 06:49 AM   #27
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I have K Touch and I love it, I have the lighted cover and I think it's perfect, I have no issues with the cover and light at all. Two weeks ago I bought a second Touch as I realised they would disappear once the PW hit the UK (not expecting it to be here quite so soon). I have now pre ordered the PW as I have a crossover period of two weeks after the PW arrives in which i can send back the second Touch if i want as I ordered early enough to get launch day delivery.

I am already expecting the PW not to be good enough. For me, to be worth the drop in storage capacity, the screen would need to be perfect, and I can't see that being the case, but I have to see for myself.

Last edited by Josieb1; 10-18-2012 at 06:51 AM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:53 AM   #28
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I will have no qualms in sending back the PW and keeping my second K Touch. Future iterations of the PW will be better and in the meantime the K touch is a wonderful device.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote