Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-29-2011, 05:27 PM   #16
seaniko7
wannabe developer
seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kindle: 2xKeyboard, Classic, 2xTouch, 2xPW, PW2; Onyx: Boox M92
Not really, it's minicom (Kindle) - minicom (PC) connection, not very much to do, though. Only some unnecessary data transfer.

Can loading it before boot give us some advantages or it's just a small nuance ?
seaniko7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 05:40 PM   #17
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaniko7 View Post
Not really, it's minicom (Kindle) - minicom (PC) connection, not very much to do, though. Only some unnecessary data transfer.

Can loading it before boot give us some advantages or it's just a small nuance ?
The point of the serial port is for recovering, so if you can access it before linux boots up, then you can recover any kindle without a serial port connection.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 06:03 PM   #18
seaniko7
wannabe developer
seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kindle: 2xKeyboard, Classic, 2xTouch, 2xPW, PW2; Onyx: Boox M92
But isn't connection via "usbserial" somehow limited as this documentation says :

"The gadget serial driver only provides simple unreliable data communication. It does not yet handle flow control or many other features of normal serial devices."

Source : http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Docum...get_serial.txt

edit :

Executing "usbserial" from /usr/sbin/ turns full serial console over usb just like usbnetwork.
Also I've managed to run it before system bootup by editing "bootmisc.sh" file in /etc/init.d/.

Is there any way to fit it for example in initramfs, so it will run instead of over-TTL-console ?

Last edited by seaniko7; 05-29-2011 at 10:12 PM.
seaniko7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:04 AM   #19
bdaddy
bdaddy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi
seaniko7,

Awesome video. I think we need to flood the airwaves with these sorts of demonstrations.

Question: Isn't the mkfs.ext3 step unnecessary? Because you then proceed to dd over a previously dumped block image from the PC file "Kindle" to /dev/sdb1 (aka /dev/mmcblk0 on the kindle side).

And the key to this unbricking is that you previously had the foresight to make a block-level backup of mmcblk0 that you could later use for recovery purposes right?
bdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:10 AM   #20
stranger_st
stranger_st began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dxg
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaniko7 View Post
Update : I've managed to connect to serial line by using usb cable and loading "g_serial" module. I can post instructions here if someone is interested. : )
Hi seaniko. Do you have dump of Kindle DXG US version. I have bricked kindle it would be great if someone shares his partition. I have already serial connection and password. One good guy provided me Kindle DXG International version of mmcblk0p1. But I am not sure will it work (mine is US version) and if not how it influence to the kindle. Thanks in advance.
Can I do recovery process again if recovery dump will not work in my kindle?

Last edited by stranger_st; 10-18-2011 at 01:16 AM.
stranger_st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:49 AM   #21
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
The latest news in kindle debricking (unbricking) is that the K3 can now be debricked using only the USB port. See the "simple debricking" sticky thread for links to "how to" details and where to get "forensic images". No special serial cable needed!
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:56 PM   #22
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Just a blow by blow for those intimidated by the language barrier

he un-installs a program that will conflict with minicom using apt-get. you may not have to do that I dont know.

he installs minicom using apt-get. apt-get install cu minicom

This installs two packages cu and minicom

(Thanks Geekmaster)

he sets the permissions (well changes the owner actually) chown uucp /dev/ttyUSB0

then he goes to root permission by elevating the current shell
sudo su

runs minicom

minicom -s

chooses the 3rd option down (you can see the choices)
he is just showing you the settings there.

So copy them AS IS and shove them in yours.
lock file location(if your system is relatively similar to his),
port /dev/ttyUSB0,
115200 speed
and NO for that last two...

okay so then he connects the usb cable and boots and GETS AN OUTPUT via his serial cable in minicom

He pushes Enter to interupt the boot sequence.

chooses 3. LOAD MMC0 over USB storage

puts in the PW fiona

Plugs in his usb.

runs dmesg to get info

goes sudu su in the minicom connection (mount and unmount must need elevated permission on his system is all)

umount /dev/sdb1 - this must be the kindle mount point (that you could find in the dmesg logs hence him running dmesg previously to show you this)

mkfs.ext3 /dev/sdb1 splatter data for a new filesystem to that location.

the dd command is dd if=/location/of/folder/mmcblk0p1.dmp of=/dev/sdb1

Press r on the kindle 3 and you are golden. (It says)

I have added this just for clarification. please ensure you check the settings, if I made a mistake then let me know and I will update it.

Thanks

Last edited by twobob; 09-07-2012 at 05:34 PM. Reason: it was wrong
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:46 PM   #23
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
... he installs minicom using apt-get. apt-get install cu minicom

I dont know what the cu does? maybe its the regional variation...
He installs two packages, including cu. Also known as UUCP:
http://inetpro.org/wiki/Connecting_t...onsole_with_cu

Last edited by geekmaster; 09-07-2012 at 04:52 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote