Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-30-2010, 07:59 PM   #1
tsiwt
tsiwt began at the beginning.

Device: none
Possible ways of damaging your kindle

I just got my kindle 3 , beautiful.. I have never own an ebook reader
first thing I thought about was how easy is it to damage the kindle? damage the software, and hardware (besides the usual water, dropping it etc).

the refresh of the ebook reader seems delicate, maybe too many clicks in a row could damage it permanently?

I did notice that after trying to click my way though a book, after a while before the page would refresh to the next one, the text seemed to get a little blurry, something that wasn't happening
the first 10 minutes...

what are some suggestions of things to avoid if I want to make my kindle last?

thanks
tsiwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:01 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The best way to make your K3 last is to find an empty drawer. Put your K3 in that drawer and never take it out.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2010, 08:03 PM   #3
matt314159
Groupie
matt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheese

Device: KSO, NookColor (CM7.1), Samsung Mesmerize
basically just keep it in a protective case when not in use, don't use it near water, that kind of stuff...treat it like your cell phone...or maybe more carefully. But as far as refreshing pages too quickly and damaging the screen, you don't have to worry about that at all. Worst case scenario the software crashes and you restart it (like a computer) and you're back in business. I say just sit back, relax, try your hardest not to sit on it accidentally and you'll be golden. And keep it in a case when not in use. I prefer the top-loading neoprene sleeves, so I can read it unencumbered, but still protect it when not in use. Nothing I hate more than a piece of electronics that's all scratched up.
matt314159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:10 PM   #4
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
If you use the Amazon cover, don't try to open it from the back. If you accidentally try to open it from the back and you feel resistance, don't try to force it open. That's how the cases get cracked.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:14 PM   #5
tsiwt

correction... it is not blurry , the text seems to show the outline before it does the refresh , this only last for less than half a second
Advert
Old 08-30-2010, 08:14 PM   #6
tsiwt

thanks for the replies
Old 08-30-2010, 10:54 PM   #7
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
I've had my K2 for a year and a half and I was very concerned about the apparent fragility of the device. No worries, it has been remarkably robust, withstanding my voracious reading, a couple of drops as I fell asleep, and even got sat on once. The single most important thing is to get a cover, I have used the Amazon covers for both the K2 and K3 and I am satisfied with them. If you are really concerned spring for the extended warranty, well worth the money in peace of mind.

NormHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:49 PM   #8
tsiwt

now I have another problem, whenever I hit the Aa button (to access the settings) I can't see all the letters of the settings

example small media la
sans se instead of sanserif

etc

whats up with this?
Old 08-31-2010, 12:03 AM   #9
tsiwt

I just realized that the problems went away with a reboot. cool
Old 08-31-2010, 02:06 AM   #10
AdrianM
Connoisseur
AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: nook, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiwt View Post

thanks
Don't hit it with a hammer.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:29 AM   #11
dcptcons4evr
Avid Reader
dcptcons4evr began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiwt View Post

Don't play frisbee with it
dcptcons4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:29 AM   #12
matt314159
Groupie
matt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheese

Device: KSO, NookColor (CM7.1), Samsung Mesmerize
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
Don't hit it with a hammer.
thanks for making me snort lemonade.
matt314159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:47 AM   #13
AdrianM
Connoisseur
AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: nook, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt314159 View Post
thanks for making me snort lemonade.
Not over the kindle I hope? That'll do it too.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:52 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Treat it with a certain amount of respect and you'll be fine. I've had innumerable book readers and only once had a problem (with a Sony PRS-600) and that was a hardware fault that had nothing to do with anything I'd done to it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 04:19 AM   #15
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Don't get tripped while carrying it. (That's how my son killed my EZ Reader)
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote