Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 10-28-2006, 04:03 PM   #1
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Important Note to everyone hacking their iLiad

Please install a safety net into your rc.d!

Design256 showed how to do this in his "I survived the 2.7.1 update" thread.

Personally I have an MMC card with a tested emergency dropbear console script that I check for in the rc.d sequence prior to iRex's start.sh entry. That way if I hose my iRex startup I can insert my special MMC card, reset, power on and it will launch a lifeline console for me even if iRex's code gets so scrambled it can't work. I do it this way so I can still have a low power iLiad to read on the bus (I just don't put the card in during boot).

But this will only save you if you have it installed and tested prior to needing it.

Let's be safe out there.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 05:25 PM   #2
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024
Please install a safety net into your rc.d!

Design256 showed how to do this in his "I survived the 2.7.1 update" thread.
Another temptation is to put some mods in /old-root/linux-lc. Albeit, this is the mode dangereous thing to do because it is the init script. It hangs, your iLiad hangs, and heavily. Not even the misterious auxiliar terminal will lauch. And it is dangereus becasue during old-root you can not mount the whole filesystem, so you lack of basic utilities. For instance, I failed to survive 2.4 because I did not notice the absence of "mv".

The third point to put a safety net is in the register.txt, not the one in etc, and hope do_updates.sh will mix both register files.
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2006, 05:40 PM   #3
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
now, scotty, for the release of idjvu (in seven days, say?) I would propose to have a memorial/credits screen of all the bricked iLiads. Kind of hommage.
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 05:48 PM   #4
vranghel
Addict
vranghel began at the beginning.

Device: Proud Iliad owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by arivero
I would propose to have a memorial/credits screen of all the bricked iLiads. Kind of hommage.
Rest In Peace iLiad
vranghel is offline   Reply With Quote