Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-04-2009, 11:54 PM   #76
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
I bought an EPUB title from ReadWithoutPaper and it works fine on my Sony reader.
As it is an almost identical store to WHSmiths being an OverDrive store I have purchased a number of PDFs from them(before they turned their stupid regionalisation check on) and they read quite ok when you set font size to large to turn on reflow. Does the Hanlin have PDF reflow ? If not your reading experience might not be as good.
I try to buy EPUB when I can and only get PDFs if I can't avoid it but I have had no problems with DRM PDFs from 4 different ebook stores.
The only thing you have to put up with is sometimes weird line feeds and partial pages when reflow is turned on.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 12:35 AM   #77
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbell View Post
The email address is at the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page www.readwithpaper.com.
You mean www.readwithoutpaper.com, right?
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2009, 02:26 AM   #78
tezza
tezza is on a distinguished road

Device: EZ Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
So those of you who have purchased ebooks from readwithoutpaper, how do they look? Anyone have problems on the Hanlin line of ereaders? I'm not too concerned with epub files, I'm more curious how purchased PDFs look.

Edit: I guess with PDFs I'm concerned if they are formatted like the Suvudu freebies, those PDFs don't work well on my reader.
I have an Astak EZ Reader, which I hear is very similar to the Hanlin.

I have bought some PDFs that look fine... as the poster above says, you will get some weird page breaks, but nothing too annoying.

EPUBs are perfect every time. I believe that many publishers are phasing out PDF in favour of EPUB. Can't happen soon enough.

PDFs do work okay but the format was not developed for ebooks (unlike EPUB).
tezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 06:17 PM   #79
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-reader View Post
You mean www.readwithoutpaper.com, right?
hehe Yes, I do!
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 06:34 AM   #80
troykm
Connoisseur
troykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2
i want to buy the star trek voyager books, but there are geographical restrictions on them, i thought all books were available here?

i tried to email service but could not get the email address as i do not use an installed email program. can the address be displayed or a contact form added.

thanks
troykm
troykm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2009, 07:31 AM   #81
tezza
tezza is on a distinguished road

Device: EZ Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by troykm View Post
i want to buy the star trek voyager books, but there are geographical restrictions on them, i thought all books were available here?

i tried to email service but could not get the email address as i do not use an installed email program. can the address be displayed or a contact form added.

thanks
troykm
Hi Troy. I had the same problem with the geographical restrictions on Star Trek books. Apparently the Read Without Paper team are aware and trying to fix the problem. If you need it, their address is support@readwithoutpaper.com
tezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 06:54 PM   #82
troykm
Connoisseur
troykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enoughtroykm will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezza View Post
Hi Troy. I had the same problem with the geographical restrictions on Star Trek books. Apparently the Read Without Paper team are aware and trying to fix the problem. If you need it, their address is support@readwithoutpaper.com
thanks for that tezza, all i got when i clicked contact us was a message saying i dont have an email program on my pc. LOL

cheers

i want my geek reads lol
Old 12-10-2009, 12:57 AM   #83
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

As we've had so much interest in our ebook store from international customers, we've extended our range and added an "availability" button to each title.

There's some titles in our store that aren't available to Australians and New Zealanders, but the majority are still available to us.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:33 AM   #84
pwarren
Connoisseur
pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Irex Iliad (Dead), EcoReader (Smashed screen), Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbell View Post
All prices are quoted in Australian dollars and all titles are available to Australian and New Zealand based customers.
You'd better edit your first post then. Very Disappointing, I'd rather they not be available than be geographically restricted given what you originally advertised.
pwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 02:18 AM   #85
troykm
Connoisseur

so does that mean that the star trek books are not available to us??
Old 12-10-2009, 04:32 AM   #86
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwarren View Post
You'd better edit your first post then. Very Disappointing, I'd rather they not be available than be geographically restricted given what you originally advertised.
I've come to accept geographic restrictions, but what I don't like it reading about the book, adding to cart etc then finding out it is geographically restricted. Amazon.com is the only site I feel handles geographic restrictions well - you can choose to look at only the books you can buy.

I would like to see on the site the option under "Advanced Search" to be able to under "Format" select something like "eBook". Currently you either search all formats, or by epub, then PDF etc. Essentially give the option to search for all ebooks or audiobooks regardless of each categories file format.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:43 AM   #87
troykm
Connoisseur

so now cbell, how about telling us just how many of the titles in this so called 'Australian' ebook store can we actually get? its bad enough most of the world ignore us, but now we get screwed by an Australian company and that just bites the big one. i agree with pwarren, if they are not available to us, get rid of them! otherwise we might as well get a kindle.

*i think the only way we are going to get a full legal ebook store is to do what people did with mp3, use torrents! when publishers get the message like the music labels did - provide it or we will steal it- then we will finally catch up to the US and UK*
Old 12-10-2009, 05:19 PM   #88
cbell
Frenetic

All the ebooks that were available to ANZ in readwithoutpaper last week are still available to us.

It was an error that some Star Trek books that were listed previously were unavailable to us. We don't set the territory restrictions.

Troy, we couldn't ignore the international interest shown in our store.

Solicitious, I hear what you're saying and I agree. We'll pass your suggestions on to Overdrive.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:03 AM   #89
ostler99
ostler99 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ostler99 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ostler99 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ostler99 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ostler99 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony 700, iRex 1000s
@troykm
Apart from being immoral, torrents are a bad idea because the torrent software permits other users to download parts of the file from your computer.
This means that you are distributing (parts of) books that you do not own the copyright which is illegal.
ISPs can be forced to produce their records to show you did this and you can be sued.
That is what has happened in Australia and elsewhere to pirated movie downloaders.
A more interesting problem is this: is it illegal to do direct downloads of various movies/mp3s/ebooks from the warez sites? Because in a direct dl, unlike torrents, you do not distribute them to anyone else.
You are in possession of a pirated book but I am not sure that possession is illegal (like possession of heroin).
Interesting.
ostler99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:00 AM   #90
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ostler99 View Post
@troykm
Apart from being immoral, torrents are a bad idea because the torrent software permits other users to download parts of the file from your computer.
This means that you are distributing (parts of) books that you do not own the copyright which is illegal.
ISPs can be forced to produce their records to show you did this and you can be sued.
That is what has happened in Australia and elsewhere to pirated movie downloaders.
A more interesting problem is this: is it illegal to do direct downloads of various movies/mp3s/ebooks from the warez sites? Because in a direct dl, unlike torrents, you do not distribute them to anyone else.
You are in possession of a pirated book but I am not sure that possession is illegal (like possession of heroin).
Interesting.
On a technical note, most torrent clients have an option to disable seeding. Therefore you wouldn't be distributing anything.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
australia, ebooks, eco reader, new zealand, store