Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-26-2009, 07:31 PM   #1
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Killed my Reader :(

While buying lunch, I juggled my coin purse & reader & dropped the wrong one. Dead ebook reader. The substrate is shattered.

I have been using it almost daily, generally for several hours each, since I got it. I want to scream.

Have to decide between:
--Give up on ebook readers; learn to drag laptop around with me.
--Get tiny hand-held thing like an old Clie or new iPhone/iTouch; deal with short battery life
--Replace with another PRS-505 (cost is prohibitive)
--Replace with Jetbook (costs less, which is good; smaller screen good; shorter battery life not good; no DRMd formats is iffy.)
--Replace with Cybook/Hanlin (roughly equivalent to Sony; unknown minor changes)
--Replace with used Sony PRS-500 (much cheaper; can't read ePub.)

--Don't replace/substitute. Carry physical notebook & pen & attempt to channel former reading time into writing time.

:: ponders what I can sell on ebay that's worth the cost of a new ebook device ::

ETA, 6/15/09: I talked to Sony's customer service, discovered I was covered by the 1-year parts warranty, and paid the $29 labor fee to have it repaired. It was returned and is working fine!

Last edited by Elfwreck; 06-15-2009 at 11:05 PM.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:35 PM   #2
F1Wild
Addict
F1Wild doesn't litterF1Wild doesn't litter

Device: Paolo-my Kindle2, Blackberry Curve
Total bummer!!!
F1Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2009, 07:51 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
One choice is to get it repaired. Expensive but cheaper than a new device.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:53 PM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Oh no!!!!!!! I'm so sorry to hear that

I know if *knock on wood* I broke my 505, I'd just get another one right away. I'm addicted to mine. I wouldn't even be able to wait for a cheap one to ship, I'd just scurry over to Borders.

Sorry again That's awful
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:55 PM   #5
kellynj
kellynj began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
While buying lunch, I juggled my coin purse & reader & dropped the wrong one. Dead ebook reader. The substrate is shattered.

I have been using it almost daily, generally for several hours each, since I got it. I want to scream.

Have to decide between:
--Give up on ebook readers; learn to drag laptop around with me.
--Get tiny hand-held thing like an old Clie or new iPhone/iTouch; deal with short battery life
--Replace with another PRS-505 (cost is prohibitive)
--Replace with Jetbook (costs less, which is good; smaller screen good; shorter battery life not good; no DRMd formats is iffy.)
--Replace with Cybook/Hanlin (roughly equivalent to Sony; unknown minor changes)
--Replace with used Sony PRS-500 (much cheaper; can't read ePub.)

--Don't replace/substitute. Carry physical notebook & pen & attempt to channel former reading time into writing time.

:: ponders what I can sell on ebay that's worth the cost of a new ebook device ::
This is why I splurged on all the insurance/protections that Sony made available since between dropping, spilling, breaking things I'd be a mess. I just got mine back today after it going back to Sony for over 2 weeks and I went through crazy ass withdrawal every day it was gone!
kellynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2009, 07:55 PM   #6
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
One choice is to get it repaired. Expensive but cheaper than a new device.
They repair them? That would certainly be better. (And then I'll look at whether I can get the extended warranty.)

Umm... any idea where I'd find repair info? The Sonystyle website is atrocious for searching for specific details.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:57 PM   #7
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
They repair them? That would certainly be better. (And then I'll look at whether I can get the extended warranty.)

Umm... any idea where I'd find repair info? The Sonystyle website is atrocious for searching for specific details.
Call the support line. But I'd make them open a case and have them give you a quote for replacing the screen. If they don't, I'd stay away. I wouldn't want to send it back and have them tell you it's more than a new one.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:18 PM   #8
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer

Called support; they suggest a hard reset & recharge (which they don't expect to work, but sometimes it does, and that doesn't cost me anything); otherwise, call them back & talk exchange/repair prices.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:20 PM   #9
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Oh no! Let us know if the hard reset & recharge works - I'm keeping my fingers crossed it does, however unlikely it is!
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 10:57 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
http://eservice.sony.com/webrma/web/index.do

Using the above link, you may be able to get a refurbished 505 for $99.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:50 AM   #11
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: my two eyes, KLiiK, Sony PRS-700
Ow! Sorry about that! Yeah, this is a general weakness of digital devices. I was at the beach on memorial day and I had thought about bringing something to read with me. I couldn't consider my PRS-700 because the sand and salt would get to it. It totally wouldn't affect a physical book though.
thibaulthalpern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 05:08 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I believe the repair cost is about $170. Expensive, but still cheaper than buying a new device.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 06:37 AM   #13
Labib Rahman
Enthusiast
Labib Rahman will become famous soon enoughLabib Rahman will become famous soon enoughLabib Rahman will become famous soon enoughLabib Rahman will become famous soon enoughLabib Rahman will become famous soon enoughLabib Rahman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PSP and an age old Dell Inspiron 1150
Okay, I am a totally new member and it feels weird being the only 16 year old in a forum with members mostly older than me. But I broke my PRS-505 too.

What I did was, since I didn't have a warranty, I asked for a refurbished one, without the warranty, which cost me a 100 dollars. Not very easy on a teenager's wallet but way cheaper than getting a new one.

So, why you don't try getting a refurbished PRS-505? That should hopefully work and seems like a lot of other people have done that too.
Labib Rahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:16 PM   #14
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Called support; they suggest a hard reset & recharge (which they don't expect to work, but sometimes it does, and that doesn't cost me anything); otherwise, call them back & talk exchange/repair prices.
I'm so sorry about your reader. I've never broken one but I've seen a few pictures here and it seems that when the substrate is cracked, it's quite visible. Can you see breakage? If so I'm surprised they advised the reset route.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:55 PM   #15
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer

Called them, and it turns out I'm still under the first year parts warranty; I just have to pay for labor--$29--to get it fixed.

So yaaaay!

I've attached a pic of the problem. (Don't have a digital camera, but I have a scanner.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BrokenSony.png
Views:	478
Size:	235.3 KB
ID:	29872