Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-08-2009, 02:47 PM   #31
tiemeyer
tiemeyer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Great mod, Jesse.

Does the new beta image (4-8) do image generation as well, or just text generation?
tiemeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 03:01 PM   #32
jesse
Connoisseur
jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

It does both text and images. The next thing I want to do to the image generation is to do automatic border trimming. What's the best-current-practice for that that doesn't require a windows excecutable?
jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2009, 04:13 PM   #33
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse View Post
It does both text and images. The next thing I want to do to the image generation is to do automatic border trimming. What's the best-current-practice for that that doesn't require a windows excecutable?
There's the pdfcrop utility (available on Debian in the 'texlive-extra-utils' package, of all places) for cropping PDFs directly. The netpbm pnmcrop will let you do auto-cropping of image files as part of a shell pipeline. HTH.
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:30 PM   #34
Gopal
Gopal began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
Success!

Over the past few days I have tried all three version and finally .08 showed the magic.

I noticed that it does a PDF-to-text conversion. So, some information is lost in the process.

It does a better job when the PDF if produced in Adobe PDF maker. OSX built-in PDFs are badly mangled.

Regards,
Gopal

PS: Thank you for all your efforts. Hope you continue developing this wonderful utility.
Gopal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 11:27 PM   #35
rbhamilton
rbhamilton began at the beginning.

Ok... maybe I'm a nOOB (ok I am) but I can't get it to work with PDF's. I had installed the .06 version so I did an uninstall. Then I grabbed the .08 version. I don't see an Install BIN file for the .08 so I used the one from the .06 (perhaps my problem?)

It said it had installed the update but I don't know how to check my version (told you I'm a nOOb).

Any ideas?

Amazing product and I know I'm going to love it when it gets working for me. Keep up the good work!

--DB
rbhamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2009, 03:40 PM   #36
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Jesse is it possible for you to update your blog page with the most current download. I didn't realize I had installed an older version until I cam here for troubleshooting (Kindle not seeing the pdf files in my documents folder). I'm downloading and installing the newer version.

Thanks.

EDIT: BTW, after I ran the removesavory.bin, the savory-image.ext3 file was still in my system folder. Should it have been removed?

Last edited by daffy4u; 04-10-2009 at 04:25 PM.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 04:45 PM   #37
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've installed the new version. Here are my results so far:

- Savory does not see pdf files I placed in the "documents" folder via drag and drop.

- It did allow me to download one with the browser but when I would try to open it, the Kindle told me the file was deleted and removed from my Kindle even though it still showed on my home screen as "Converting nameoffile.pdf". I deleted it since I couldn't open it.

- When I reconnected the Kindle via USB, I found a copy of the pdf I downloaded in a folder called "savory-archive". I dragged the pdf from that folder back into "documents". It was recognized (none of the original drag and drop pdf files were). I was able to open it but Savory seems to not like pdfs created by CutePDF. The pdf contained a table (the original source file was nested tables) with text and images. There was no table and the text was separated from the images. There was some gibberish which I think represented the table itself. I was able to zoom the images which is great!

- I also see another folder labeled "savory-conversion-temp" which contains a text file with the same name as the recognized pdf (nameoffile.txt).

Not sure what else I can try.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:08 PM   #38
jesse
Connoisseur
jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Savory now uses better fonts and crops PDFs for improved display

http://blog.fsck.com/2009/04/improve...or-savory.html
Old 04-11-2009, 11:37 AM   #39
Gopal

This update is a nice improvement! Thank you Jesse!

So, here's a brief review (since every one likes a review now-a-days):

Upon installing, the ver0.10 finds the PDF and creates 2 versions of converted PDFs. One is a text-conversion and the other is PNG conversion. The text-version is great for simple text-only PDFs. Loads fast and refreshes fast. However, it loses all the pictures. The PNG conversion is snapshots of each page of the PDF and displays them page-wise. This is the choice if you need to read PDFs with pictures (most scientific papers). Pressing the 'menu' button in PNG-mode reveals a list of options enabling one to move around in the PNG to improve the readability. However, the refresh rates are slow (perhaps due to the limitations of Kindle's processor and built-in RAM? - just a guess).

This is a quantum-improvement over previous versions and it makes leap towards making Kindle2 a self-sufficient PDF reader. It covers up some of the deficiencies that Kindle2 came with.

I haven't used it enough to know about the long-term stability. If you are adventurous with your Kindle2, I would definitely recommend installing this version of Savory. The risks (as per my experience) are minimal-to-nothing. The installation is completely reversible. That said, YMMV.

Suggestions:
1. Perhaps a lower resolution PNG conversion would allow faster refresh rates?
2. Can the 5-way key be enabled to move around the page in PNG mode? That would make it so much more convenient.

Regards,
Gopal

PS: Just in case someone is wondering how to move from 0.06/0.08 to 0.10 (new version): replace the old ext3 file with the new one and restart the kindle.

Last edited by Gopal; 04-11-2009 at 08:30 PM.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:51 PM   #40
jesse
Connoisseur

@gopal - it's PNG, not PGN. Otherwise, thanks for the writeup
Old 04-11-2009, 07:35 PM   #41
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

I started from scratch and added the new image file from April 10. This time it worked.

I added a pdf script that I've been using as a sample with PDFRead with some success in landscape mode. I added the file to my "documents" folder and also downloaded it via the browser.

I realized I have confused my results by having 2 copies of the same file on my Kindle. Its hard to tell which is doing what. Here is what I think is happening.

- The file I added via USB showed up on my home screen with author listed as "User Windows..." (can't see the whole name). This file split into 2 versions. One with the correct title and one with percent (%) signs where the spaces should be between words. Both of these files lost their formatting.

- The file I downloaded via the browser also split into 2 files. Both had percent (%) signs where the spaces should be between words. One of those files has the word "Converting" in front of it. Can't see an author name because the titles are too long.

The file without "Converting" in front of the title, looks perfect. All the formatting is intact.

The files *with* "Converting" in front of the title, is full of conversion instructions and a list of all the page numbers.

If I haven't confused myself too much with the double files, I think it's better to download the file via the browser than to add it to the Kindle via USB.

A few things I noticed with the file that converted properly:

- I was unable to bookmark any pages
- Moving the joystick just causes the top info bar on the screen to blink
- Just for fun I tried to see if I could change the font size, the font was disabled and nothing happened.

I still have more experimenting to do but so far Savory really rocks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-17022.gif
Views:	840
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	27453   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-17025.gif
Views:	771
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	27454   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-17024.gif
Views:	774
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	27455   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-17020.gif
Views:	835
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	27456   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-17021.gif
Views:	780
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	27457   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-17023.gif
Views:	778
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	27458   Click image for larger version

Name:	savory script files.JPG
Views:	715
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	27459  

Last edited by daffy4u; 04-11-2009 at 07:37 PM.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:33 PM   #42
Gopal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse View Post
@gopal - it's PNG, not PGN. Otherwise, thanks for the writeup
yes, it is PNG! Thanks! I corrected it in my post.

Regards,
Gopal
Old 04-11-2009, 09:37 PM   #43
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Anyone tried epub yet? I downloaded two epub books from Feedbooks and neither shows up on my home screen.

Edit: The ePub books showed up on my home page. I put the Kindle down for a couple of hours and when I came back the books were there. I guess it just takes a while for them to convert before they show up. They look great!

Another thing I noticed is that I was unable to download an epub book via the browser from MobileRead even though Feedbooks worked. See the image below for the error message I received.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-17026.gif
Views:	585
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	27462  

Last edited by daffy4u; 04-12-2009 at 12:32 AM.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:24 AM   #44
meep!
meep! began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
This looks really cool, but I still can't get it to work. I'm having the same problem as the people above me seem to be having; I put savory-image.ext3 into the 'system' folder, and installed update_Savory-0.06.bin, but my Kindle doesn't seem to be able to recognize PDF's I put in the 'documents' folder. When I go to settings the bottom bar says "Version: Kindle 2.0 (291330095) UNSUPPORTED SAVORY-0.06)".

I've tried both the version on this page http://blog.fsck.com/2009/04/savory.html and "savory-image-2009-04-10.zip" from the Google Code page. Could someone point me in the right direction?

Jesse, thank you for your work.

Edit: I forgot to mention, I have also tried doing a factory reset and using the Savory uninstaller before updating to the 04-10 version, but to no avail.

Last edited by meep!; 04-12-2009 at 09:26 AM.
meep! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 09:53 AM   #45
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by meep! View Post
This looks really cool, but I still can't get it to work. I'm having the same problem as the people above me seem to be having; I put savory-image.ext3 into the 'system' folder, and installed update_Savory-0.06.bin, but my Kindle doesn't seem to be able to recognize PDF's I put in the 'documents' folder. When I go to settings the bottom bar says "Version: Kindle 2.0 (291330095) UNSUPPORTED SAVORY-0.06)".

I've tried both the version on this page http://blog.fsck.com/2009/04/savory.html and "savory-image-2009-04-10.zip" from the Google Code page. Could someone point me in the right direction?

Jesse, thank you for your work.

Edit: I forgot to mention, I have also tried doing a factory reset and using the Savory uninstaller before updating to the 04-10 version, but to no avail.
Here's what I did my last go around. First uninstall everything using the update-removesavory.bin. You'll have to remove the savory-image.ext3 file yourself. Re-install Savory .06 BUT use the .ext3 file from 4-10-09 in your system directory..

When you either download or drag and drop your PDF or ePub files into the "documents" folder, wait. It takes a little while for Savory to recognize and convert the files. I'd give it at least 5-10 minutes (though I haven't put my stopwatch to it yet).

Tags
epub, kindle 2, kindle conversion, savory