Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-13-2016, 02:29 PM   #1
jswinden
Nameless Being

iOS 10 has been released, but use caution

iOS 10 has been released. However, I will wait a few to several days before upgrading. MacRumors is reporting that several users have had their iPads and iPhones put into recovery mode while updating to iOS 10. Especially hard hit seems to be the iPad Pro 9.7. As usual, use caution with brand new updates, especially a major one like this.

I still haven't decided if I will update my iPhone 6 Plus. I haven't seen much new in iOS 10 that grabs my attention. I definitely will NOT be upgrading my older iPad Mini 2.
Old 09-13-2016, 02:45 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I always wait at least a month before installing a major new iOS release to give app makers a chance to iron out incompatibilities.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2016, 03:09 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

That is another good reason to wait.

Apple now claims they fixed the issue of bricking when installing over-the-air iOS 10 update. We will see.

I just hope they don't push the darn update to our iThingies since it is a large file at 1.2 GB. No big deal with my 64 GB iPhone 6 Plus, but my old iPad Mini 2 only has 16 GB and it is nearly full. I had to delete stuff last year just to install iOS 9 on it, but I have no desire to install iOS 10 on it. I'll probably upgrade to a newer iPad Mini in a year or two.
Old 09-13-2016, 03:18 PM   #4
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I have updated my IPhone 5s and IPAD air 2 with no issues, and I love it.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 03:56 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Will iCloud work if you have a mix of releases on different devices? 9 and 10.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2016, 04:23 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Will iCloud work if you have a mix of releases on different devices? 9 and 10.
Yes, because (other than for things like backups) it works at the app level.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 02:11 AM   #7
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
I have updated my IPhone 5s and IPAD air 2 with no issues, and I love it.
What are the new features you love? (i.e., what am I missing? )
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 02:39 AM   #8
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
Updated my 5s and iPad last night. No issues at all. I always update everything as soon as it's available. I have been fortunate so far. Never had an issue not even once with any computer or device.

Notes can now be shared. I like that one. My partner and I can share shopping list and so on. I used to have an app for that but use notes a lot so this is better for us.
The predictive text and auto correct seems to be much improved.
The music app on the phone is cleaner and easier to use.
I like the bedtime thing under alarms. Wakes you up gently and you can set desired sleep times. Good for me because I habitually don't get enough sleep.
Messages has a lot of fun type enhancements.
A home app to control home automation. I deleted it. And that's another thing. You can now delete all this apps that come pre installed that I used to nest into a junk folder.
Lots of little things. Interface and gestures. I am not going to go into it all.

I like it very much
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:26 AM   #9
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I updated my iPhone 6 plus, iPad pro and iPad mini, all with no problems.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:59 AM   #10
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I intend to wait for a few weeks to see what issues are reported.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 01:05 PM   #11
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
My ipad updated with no problems.
My 6s plus update failed and I had to use itunes (after updating it) to download and install ios 10.
I was without the use of my phone for a few hours.

Last edited by BenG; 09-14-2016 at 01:07 PM.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 04:47 PM   #12
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
I'll update in a couple of weeks. I think I read somewhere that 10 will have auto language detection, I'm looking forward to this.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 06:38 PM   #13
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMartin View Post
A home app to control home automation. I deleted it. And that's another thing. You can now delete all this apps that come pre installed that I used to nest into a junk folder.
Ooo, now that's a plus! I currently nest a bunch of stuff in a junk folder too.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 09:59 PM   #14
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Since I seem to end up being first line tech support for about a dozen different friends and family with iThings I went ahead and updated my iPhone 6 today. Update installed perfectly.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 02:32 AM   #15
DaveFalcon73
Connoisseur
DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Voyage, Kindle PaperWhite
It is safe to update, I got burned with the connect to iTunes, Apple basically screwed up the IPSW OS files that were being sent to iPhone 6S, 6S Plus and iPad Pro's within the first hour, so if you were unlucky to install the OS straight away you could get burned. They fixed it after the first hour of a lot of bad social media press and I have updated several more devices without any problems.
DaveFalcon73 is offline   Reply With Quote