Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-25-2012, 04:28 AM   #1
zavidos
zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Glo
Landscape in the future?

Hi, I just bought a Kobo GLO, and realize that I can't read in landscape mode the normal ebook, only the pdf. Is there a way (jailbreak, root, or something) to read horizontaly? Will it be possible in the future with original firmware?
zavidos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:04 AM   #2
markino
Connoisseur
markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
I have not heard that there are any plans to do this.

If it is important to you, you could add it to the Glo feature requests thread that I started.
markino is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2012, 09:07 AM   #3
zavidos
zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

sigh, it is very important cause I really would like to keep the kobo from the bottom part with one end, and horizontally occupy less space in front of me when I travel in bus with lot of people that hurt me.

Is kobo firmware release very frequent?
Old 11-25-2012, 09:43 AM   #4
markino
Connoisseur
markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
From memory, it varies - for the Touch, I think I have seen updates from two weeks apart, up to 6-8 weeks.

I have not seen many people asking for a landscape mode though, so if you want it I would suggest asking for it (either on this forum, or to Kobo directly).
markino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:10 PM   #5
zavidos

I will do , thank you very much
Advert
Old 11-25-2012, 05:42 PM   #6
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I wonder how the icons would be set if they implemented a landscape mode and whether it would be compatible with the way the light works because the black bar down compensates for irregularities due to the proximity of the diodes. But with landscape all this would be upset.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:52 AM   #7
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Quexos,

You can mostly determine how it'd look by rotating the touch. The bar would have to stay at the side nearest the LEDs. The main thing that would have to change would be how characters and the interface are mapped to the screen, including the touch areas in question... and whether they could easily map the other screens or just make you rotate to portrait mode for screens other than reading.

Really, I bet a lot of whether it'll get done probably hinges on whether the display driver allows for rotation and whether the existing code for writing the displays allows for flexibility or whether positions on the screen are hard coded as absolute rather than relative positions.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote