Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 09-29-2012, 01:47 AM   #1
intwtl
intwtl began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kobo H2O Ver2
Sony T2 Vs Kindle Fire HD

I am planning to upgrade from my Sony PRS-500 to a faster reader.

I am looking at the Sony T2 or the Kindle Fire HD.

As I use Calibre on my existing PRS-500 with no problems I am somewhat concerned if the Kindle Fire HD has the same capabilities.

Does the Kindle handle collections as well as the Sony ?

Thanks
intwtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:50 AM   #2
Moriarty's
confictura animus
Moriarty's ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moriarty's ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moriarty's ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moriarty's ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moriarty's ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moriarty's ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moriarty's ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moriarty's ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moriarty's ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moriarty's ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moriarty's ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
The Kindle Fire HD is a tablet, whereas the Sony PRS-T2 is an e-reader. Are you aware of this difference?
Moriarty's is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2012, 02:12 AM   #3
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Calibre just a few weeks ago got updated to do the Sony T2. Since no one has Fire HD yet & no telling IF it will be distribited for awhile out of the US dont.... Your Guess is as good as anyones as to them working together.
Your not going to Read on the Fire as well as the Sony esp outdoors.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:52 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Since no one has Fire HD
Many folks have the Fire HD. Automatically creating collections or updating metadata is still is not as easy as Sony devices. The Fire HD uses MTP to connect over USB so you need Linux or Windows 7 to connect to the device via USB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by intwtl View Post
I am looking at the Sony T2 or the Kindle Fire HD.

As I use Calibre on my existing PRS-500 with no problems I am somewhat concerned if the Kindle Fire HD has the same capabilities.
If you have Windows XP or a Mac sideloading books onto a Kindle Fire HD isn't straight forward.

I decided a long time ago I wouldn't go with a brand other than Sony until calibre was as well integrated with another device as it is with Sony devices. If you're open to a buying a tablet I would recommend the Nexus 7. Using the Calibre Companion (wireless router required) Android app I have integration with calibre as tight as I do with any of my Sony devices. This is because one of the developers for this app was the major developer of the calibre integration of Sony devices with calibre.

By default you would have the ability to group by Title, Author, Series, Tags, Publisher or any User Category (you can use custom columns here) and within each group be able to sort by Title, Author, Series, Date or Date read. This app can launch your books in your favorite reader app. I use Moon+ Reader and even though my eyes are very sensitive to backlit screens I was able to easily find a setting that allows me to read on the Nexus 7 without eye strain. Read this post for everything Calibre Companion can do.

Good Reading!

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 09-29-2012 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Added HD for clarification
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:15 PM   #5
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hes talking about the New Fire HD.
Advert
Old 09-29-2012, 08:13 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hes talking about the New Fire HD.
I was talking the HD too. Edited my post to prevent confusion.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:38 PM   #7
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

I didnt know that it has been released! Then saw another thread where there were gliches getting Fire HD to work with Calibre! Hopefully they will work it out.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:45 PM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
I didnt know that it has been released! Then saw another thread where there were gliches getting Fire HD to work with Calibre! Hopefully they will work it out.
They worked it out if you have Linux or Windows 7 you can connect via MTP (usb). If you have Mac or Windows XP for now you either need to email books to your device or use the content server.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:46 AM   #9
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
They worked it out if you have Linux or Windows 7 you can connect via MTP (usb). If you have Mac or Windows XP for now you either need to email books to your device or use the content server.
Fire HD runs a flavor of Android, so I'd assumed Calibre Companion (from Google Play) could run on it. But from your post, I gather my assumption was wrong? Also, that raises another question: are there any e-ink devices which, if jailbroken, Calibre Companion could run on?
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:04 AM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by unboggling View Post
Fire HD runs a flavor of Android, so I'd assumed Calibre Companion (from Google Play) could run on it. But from your post, I gather my assumption was wrong?
It may or may not run on the Fire HD, but currently Calibre Companion is only available from Google Play store. Additionally if the owner of the Fire HD managed to download from Google play to their Fire HD it may not (like other Android devices) be able to launch books directly into the Kindle app since on other Android devices it does not expose itself as a reader for any format. Most likely, as with other devices, the books would have to be directed to the correct directory and opened from within the Kindle App.

Quote:
Also, that raises another question: are there any e-ink devices which, if jailbroken, Calibre Companion could run on?
In theory any android v2.3 or higher. I know folks have run it on their rooted Nook Color ereaders. (Ooops I guess Nook Color isn't eInk)

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 09-30-2012 at 03:06 AM.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:15 AM   #11
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
It may or may not run on the Fire HD, but currently Calibre Companion is only available from Google Play store. Additionally if the owner of the Fire HD managed to download from Google play to their Fire HD it may not (like other Android devices) be able to launch books directly into the Kindle app since on other Android devices it does not expose itself as a reader for any format. Most likely, as with other devices, the books would have to be directed to the correct directory and opened from within the Kindle App.

In theory any android v2.3 or higher. I know folks have run it on their rooted Nook Color ereaders. (Ooops I guess Nook Color isn't eInk)
@DoctorOhh, thanks for the info. (It would be nice to combine the best of both worlds: Calibre Companion and e-ink reading device. If it were possible.)

Last edited by unboggling; 09-30-2012 at 03:18 AM.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:12 AM   #12
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Fire HD runs a flavor of Android, so I'd assumed Calibre Companion (from Google Play) could run on it. But from your post, I gather my assumption was wrong?
We intend to release CC on the Amazon market soon. Won't be this week, but could be next week.
Quote:
Also, that raises another question: are there any e-ink devices which, if jailbroken, Calibre Companion could run on?
Sorry, but I haven't heard of any.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:03 AM   #13
unboggling
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
We intend to release CC on the Amazon market soon. Won't be this week, but could be next week.

Sorry, but I haven't heard of any.
@chaley, thanks for the info.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:46 PM   #14
ellett
Connoisseur
ellett began at the beginning.

Device: Android
@intwtl, if you're already heaviliy invested in Amazon books then the Fire could be right for you, but the Nexus 7 runs an open Android platform onto which you can install Kindle Reader and be able to read Amazon books. But the N7's openness also means you can have access to anything on the Google Play store, including Calibre Companion, and you can read books and watch movies etc. that aren't from Amazon. Make no mistake, any Kindle is pure and simple an Amazon consumption device. If you get all your media from Amazon, that's all well and good, but if you want to be open to getting media from other sources you'd be better off with an N7. (The Nook tablets are in the same boat as the Fire tablets; they're "Android" but they're severely locked down, although still more open than the Fires.)

If you're considering a dedicated reader I can add to the Doctor's Sony recommendation with a wholehearted endorsement of Nook Simple Touch, with or without Glowlight. It connects as a disk drive and Calibre handles it flawlessly. And you can get in-store support for any B&N Nook product. I had the non-Glowlight model and passed it on to a family member and got the Glowlight model and love it. As passionate as I am about my N7, the Nook is much lighter and thus easier on the hand/arm over extended periods, and the ergonomics are well designed for reading. If you have a B&N anywhere near you, I'd go check it out before purchasing anything.
ellett is offline   Reply With Quote