Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-06-2012, 04:33 PM   #1
fred_yu_job
Connoisseur
fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: kobo
transfer books from computer to KOBO touch via WIFI?

Sorry if this topic has been discussed . . .
But I didn't see any post discussing on:
Is it possible to transfer books from computer to KOBO touch via WIFI?

Or can we hack the Kobo touch to get books from computer via WIFI?

(I'm not talking about sync the books from the kobo account)

Any idea?
thanks!
fred_yu_job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:40 PM   #2
touring
Connoisseur
touring began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara
I believe you can using Calibre
touring is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2012, 05:05 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Fred; as long as the books are DRM free there is no issue downloading (via the browser) ePub's to the Touch. I presume it should also work for Mobi format files, but I don't think many of us read Mobil format on the Touch.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:16 PM   #4
voom
Just me :)
voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Touch
I have a collection of books on my FTP and drop stuff for the Kobo in there via the FTP-dir connected in windows explorer... Then I can download the books easily with Kobos browser whereever I have WiFi. One could also use a Dropbox-folder or alike to drop books in and fetch them from there with the Kobo-browser.
voom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:22 PM   #5
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring View Post
I believe you can using Calibre
Yes, you can.

First, you must turn on the content server on the Calibre software.

You can then connect to the Calibre content server using the Kobo Touch's web browser. You must go to the following link - http://yourIPaddress:8080. I have this bookmarked on my Kobo, so I only had to type it the first time.

8080 is the default port that Calibre uses, but you can change this on Calibre if it doesn't work to something else (I use 2020 because my husband uses 8080 and I wanted a quick way to visually see if I'm connecting to his Calibre or mine.)

To find the IP address for your computer (note, this will be different for every computer in your house) do the following:

- from the start menu select "run" (on windows 7, typing "run" into the search box will find the "run" application for you)

- type cmd and click on "ok"

- in the DOS window that pops open, type ipconfig and hit "enter"

- Looking at my husband's XP computer, the IP address is listed beside "IP address". On my Windows 7 machine it's listed beside "IPv4 Address". You need to use this IP address, and not the one that says "Default Gateway".
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2012, 09:00 PM   #6
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I use DropBox, that way I can access all of my books no matter where I am.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:09 PM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Dropbox on thee touch would be acccessed via the Web browser interface, and not via any Dropbox application on the unit.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:16 AM   #8
fred_yu_job
Connoisseur
fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.

So, the basic idea to get books into the Touch is via the web browser. . .
Thanks for the help!
Old 02-07-2012, 10:39 AM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

With the original Kobo (with Bluetooth) you could also tranfer books via a Bluetooth file xfer; but until you forced a rescan it did not update the library.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:09 PM   #10
yhamm
Zealot
yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h20
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
I use DropBox, that way I can access all of my books no matter where I am.
How do you transfer the file onto the touch? I can access my files through the web browser but haven't figured out how to get the file into the kobo? Thanks!
yhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:34 PM   #11
voom
Just me :)
voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Touch
When I tap on a file in the browser, it asks me if I want to download, after confirmation it is downloaded and can be found in the library; also it shows directly on the homescreen. Sometimes my KT gets stuck after download with a "processing content"-screen. After waiting a little while I then just press the homebutton and the newly downloaded book is there...
voom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:26 PM   #12
fred_yu_job
Connoisseur

Any idea into which folder the downloaded book saved?
Old 02-07-2012, 07:45 PM   #13
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

The downloaded book appears to go into the root directory of the accessible drive on the Touch.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:03 PM   #14
fred_yu_job
Connoisseur

Thanks guys for your help!