Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 06-06-2012, 10:40 AM   #196
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I'm listening to (as a re-read) F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Beautiful and Damned.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:13 AM   #197
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I'm about 2/3 through the second book of David Eddings' Belgariad, but I think I'm going to cut it short. The characters are somewhat engaging, but not umpteen volumes worth. Otherwise, it's about as rote a sword-and-sorcery shtick as you can get, and seems to come from a worldview that puts absurdly strong stock in ethnic/national stereotypes.

I think I'll load up the second Harry Dresden book.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2012, 12:41 AM   #198
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I'm re-listening to the conditioning exercises of the "Silva Mind Control" seminars... for about the 200th time since 1975.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:34 AM   #199
way8lifter
Enthusiast
way8lifter began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
I'm about 2/3 through the second book of David Eddings' Belgariad, but I think I'm going to cut it short. The characters are somewhat engaging, but not umpteen volumes worth. Otherwise, it's about as rote a sword-and-sorcery shtick as you can get, and seems to come from a worldview that puts absurdly strong stock in ethnic/national stereotypes.

I think I'll load up the second Harry Dresden book.
I have listened to and read that series many times over the last 30 years..and the last time listening to it ..say 6 months ago .. I really was shocked at the racism ..I guess before I just let it roll off my back
way8lifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:13 AM   #200
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
I'm listening to "Holmes on the Range" by Steve Hockensmith. A cowboy, inspired by the "The Red Headed League" Sherlock Holmes tale, takes to some detectin' of his own in the Wild West. I love both genres, so this is perfect for me.

Thanks to WT Sharpe for the recommendation .

Last edited by orlok; 06-08-2012 at 04:27 AM.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2012, 10:13 AM   #201
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by way8lifter View Post
I have listened to and read that series many times over the last 30 years..and the last time listening to it ..say 6 months ago .. I really was shocked at the racism ..I guess before I just let it roll off my back
There's some "excuse" for it in the cosmology, with each nation created by and in some way reflecting a different god. Also, Belgarath is kind of the ultimate ornery grandad

Really though, it reads more like Eddings considers national origin a major determinant of personality and intelligence.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:22 PM   #202
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
I'm currently listening to Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. Great story, I'm a sucker for books about books. It's from my public library and I started it the day before he died.

Prior to that I listened to Baltimore Blues by Laura Lippman, the first of the Tess Monaghan PI series, also from the library. Flawed detectives are interesting, naive and passionless ones are not. Tess had the emotional range of a wet dishrag. I'll take a pass on the rest of this series.

Tears of the Giraffe by Alexander McCall Smith (from Audible) was not quite as good a story as the first Ladies No. 1 Detective Agency, but it would be hard to match the wonder of that first book. The narrator's soothing voice transports me to Africa and listening to these is a holiday for my mind. Morality for Beautiful Girls is waiting for me on my iPod Touch for the next time I need a getaway.

Others from Audible I've listened to in the past month: Way Station by Clifford D. Simak, old timey sci fi; Hard Rain by Barry Eisler, the Japanese setting for this hitman series was fascinating and I enjoyed it enough to put the next two in the series on my library wishlist and buy the one after that at an Audible sale a few weeks ago; Grave Peril by Jim Butcher, 3rd in the fun and escapist Dresden Files series, I'm alternating reading one book and listening to one book in this series; Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman, I enjoyed this fanciful journey to London Below and commented on it the bookclub thread.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:16 AM   #203
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Pocket Book, Kobo, Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
I gave the first audiobook a go (in English) solely because I enjoy Brandon Sanderson's work, and he finished out the series after Jordan's death, but it was such melodramatic pap. I didn't get far.
I have been on vacation for a week and even though I took my iPod with me, I didn't get a lot of listening done. I am about half way through The Eye of the World now, and so far it's been a low C (which is still acceptable), but I am thinking of dropping it. It's nothing like the dense atmosphere that George R. R. Martin creates from the beginning in his Song of Ice and Fire series. I think Robert Jordan just isn't for me.

I am also half way through The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss, and I am really enjoying this one so far. Rupert Degas is a great narrator.
Marrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:41 AM   #204
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrella View Post
I have been on vacation for a week and even though I took my iPod with me, I didn't get a lot of listening done. I am about half way through The Eye of the World now, and so far it's been a low C (which is still acceptable), but I am thinking of dropping it. It's nothing like the dense atmosphere that George R. R. Martin creates from the beginning in his Song of Ice and Fire series. I think Robert Jordan just isn't for me.
Actually book 2 and 3 are better than book 1 in my opinion. Book 4 is where it really starts going down hill. I'm thinking about starting book 5 now... That, or the Icewind Dales trilogy by R. A. Salvatore, since I just finished his Dark Elf trilogy, which I found mediocre.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:58 AM   #205
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Just finished Neon Rain by James Lee Burke didn't particularly like it found it quite a chore to stick it out all the way to the end. Now listening to Open Season by CJ Box not very far in so far I like the characters but hope it picks up pace.
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:11 PM   #206
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Me and the wife are listening to The Burglar on the Prowl by Lawrence Block. Find it highly enjoyable. Here is a review:

Quote:
Amazon.com Review
Bernie Rhodenbarr, burglar with a heart of gold, returns for this 10th installment in a reliable series from the versatile and prolific Lawrence Block (70-plus books to date). In Burglar on the Prowl, Bernie is recruited by an old friend to burgle the home of a crooked plastic surgeon, removing some off-the-books cash from a wall safe. A simple enough job, but Bernie complicates matters by going "on the prowl" one restless evening―-randomly cruising for an easy job. While he's pawing through a woman's empty apartment, she returns home; Bernie hides hastily, only to overhear an act of violence that draws him into a hunt for the perpetrator and a deepening role in the victim's life.
Lawrence Block's prose is merely serviceable, but his plotting and storytelling are first-rate. He constructs a complex puzzle, yet weaves in each new development so seamlessly that you almost don't see it happen. Like its Bernie predecessors, The Burglar on the Prowl is droll and charming, and at times you can feel Block trying a bit too hard with the charm. However, a few truly horrific bad guys and some ugly violence keep the sweetness from cloying. And it's impossible not to like Bernie, a gentleman criminal with few peers in contemporary fiction
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:46 PM   #207
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I'm listening to Redshirts by John Scalzi. While there is a degree of humor in it, it's not really a comedy. It's pretty good.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:54 PM   #208
taosaur
intelligent posterior

Dresden Files #2 was great fun, rolling straight into #3. Oddly, it's reminding me more of the tv series Supernatural than the short-lived DF show.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:18 AM   #209
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
Me and the wife are listening to The Burglar on the Prowl by Lawrence Block. Find it highly enjoyable. Here is a review:
I read some of these years ago, but had to sell them and boxes of my other books when we moved. We had already filled the largest truck the moving company had and it would have cost more than the books to have them moved with another truck by the company. I don't remember the stories, but do remember I found them fun to read.

Thanks for reminding me of them. I'll have to see if my library has them.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 03:59 PM   #210
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
iTunes U is a great source for audiobooks and all sorts of topics - classes, science, literature, nature, history, etc. Content is free and there's an iTunes U app for your iDevices.

For audiobooks, I like the Lit2Go series of classic literature from the Univ of South Florida. You can download from either iTunes U or the website.

Currently, I'm listening to a lecture series from Stanford Univ on Hannibal (~13+ hrs).
Thanks for Lit2Go. Already familiar with Tunes U.

This query is for all. Is An Audible subscripton worth it? TIA for any responses.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations