Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-07-2011, 07:06 PM   #1
LeapinLar
LeapinLar began at the beginning.

Device: kindle, ipod touch, Kindle for Android
Modifying metadata in .mobi files

I know that you can change the metadata that is stored in the Calibre database, but Calibre does not write that metadata to a specific book file unless it has just been converted by Calibre or sent to device or saved to disk.

I routinely change the author field in the Calibre database for my newly added Kindle (.mobi) files to First Name Last Name so that it sorts properly in my catalog. (The default Kindle author field is Last Name, First Name.)

I download my books to my android device by using content server. That means the file is downloaded exactly as it exists in the Calibre Library, without metadata modification. And since Calibre has not changed the metadata in the original file, it still is in the LN, FN format. This screws up my file sort in my android device.

I have tried to use Mobi2Mobi to modify the file's metadata manually, but I get error messages that do not let me do that.

My question is: Is there a way to get Calibre to modify the metadata of an original (deDRM'd) file without either converting, downloading to device or saving to disk? If not, then how do I ask to get this feature added to Calibre?
LeapinLar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 02:32 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeapinLar View Post
I download my books to my android device by using content server. That means the file is downloaded exactly as it exists in the Calibre Library, without metadata modification.
From what I know, the content server does, in fact, try to change the metadata.

Quote:
I have tried to use Mobi2Mobi to modify the file's metadata manually, but I get error messages that do not let me do that.
Mobi2Mobi has been replaced by ebook-convert since at least the last two major versions, I think.

Quote:
If not, then how do I ask to get this feature added to Calibre?
See this. There might be a plugin as well.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2011, 02:36 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
From what I know, the content server does, in fact, try to change the metadata.
Only for epub not mobi.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 05:06 PM   #4
LeapinLar
LeapinLar began at the beginning.

Device: kindle, ipod touch, Kindle for Android
I appreciate the input guys.

Manichean, I'm not sure what you meant by ebook-convert, unless you meant the command line version of Calibre.

I finally solved my problem with a workaround. I use a Hex file editor to manually edit the .mobi file. I just make sure the new FN LN is the same length by adding a space at the end to replace the comma.

It would still be nice to have that option in Calibre to update the metadata of the file directly without converting.
LeapinLar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:05 PM   #5
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeapinLar View Post
Manichean, I'm not sure what you meant by ebook-convert, unless you meant the command line version of Calibre.
Yep. Isn't Mobi2Mobi the old command to convert a MOBI file to a new MOBI file?
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert