Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Do You Read the Preface of a Book?
Always 67 37.02%
Usually 58 32.04%
Sometimes 44 24.31%
Never 12 6.63%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-23-2011, 11:46 AM   #1
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Do You Read the Preface?

I'm really just curious as to how many people actually read prefaces.

Why or why not?

I usually skip right over them .
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:02 PM   #2
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Yes, always. The only exception is if the preface or forward is clearly an excerpt from a later chapter. In that case I'll just skip it.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2011, 12:06 PM   #3
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I figure the author took the time to write it, so I might as well read it. I find it often gives me a good idea what to expect from a book.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:10 PM   #4
bumblesby
bumblesby has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bumblesby has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bumblesby has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bumblesby has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bumblesby has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-350
It depends on if you mean a real preface written my the author or an introduction written by someone else. Introductions tend to give too much away about a book. Unless it is a really complex book, I will skip it. It is best to read the introduction after you read the book. An author-written preface, yes I will read it.
bumblesby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:10 PM   #5
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I used to not read it, then I realized that there were HUGE parts of the book that could be dependent upon the preface. now the author's acknowledgements, etc., I usually skim right over
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2011, 12:11 PM   #6
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
I figure the author took the time to write it, so I might as well read it. I find it often gives me a good idea what to expect from a book.
So, have you ever read one that then made you question purchasing/downloading the book?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
I used to not read it, then I realized that there were HUGE parts of the book that could be dependent upon the preface. now the author's acknowledgements, etc., I usually skim right over
Really? How so?
Old 04-23-2011, 12:14 PM   #7
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Yes, I always read the preface, at least up to the point where the author says "this book wouldn't have been possible without the help of....".
Some prefaces are worth reading even if you are not going to read the book itself, like the Preface to the Ukrainian Edition of Animal Farm by George Orwell.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:29 PM   #8
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I chose "never" except for those times when it is interesting enough to catch my eye when I flip past it. BTW, prefaces in ebooks seem sort of iffy to me. Sometimes it is page 1, and sometimes a link in the TOC. The links are easy to ignore.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:29 PM   #9
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
I chose "sometimes" because it depends. If it's a re-issue, a new preface often offers some insight about the "life" of the book since its previous release, etc, or offers a perspective from another person (if not written by the author).

For non-fiction, I usually read it if it seems to contain more than acknowledgements.

For standard fiction fare... well, if it's important it should be in the darn book, not in the preface! It makes me wonder if the book was all done, someone said, "Oh crap, this wasn't explained and doesn't make sense!" so instead of fixing it, they stuck the info in the preface. (They should at least legitimize it by working it into a prologue so it's actually part of the main book text.)

Sometimes the preface is TMI. I was about to read an historical fiction novel that I was really looking forward to. The main character, according to the blurb, was being shunned by pretty much everyone, including her (arranged) husband, because of her inability to bear a child. The big question was, will she overcome this? Will she ever give her husband an heir? Or will she blah blah blah. The preface contained a few bits of info about the locations in the novel, including "The location where Main Character gives birth to the heir is now the site of... "

The author and the editor apparently had never heard of an afterword. Aaargh. That was a long time ago and it still irks me.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:31 PM   #10
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I chose "never" except for those times when it is interesting enough to catch my eye when I flip past it. BTW, prefaces in ebooks seem sort of iffy to me. Sometimes it is page 1, and sometimes a link in the TOC. The links are easy to ignore.
I had a much more involved poll in mind, to try to catch more of those if/then statements, but I felt it would have been too long.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:44 PM   #11
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
I will usually read a portion of the preface before deciding whether it is in my best interest to continue reading it.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:46 PM   #12
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
I marked 'Always' because, as SeaBookGuy says, the author took time to write it, I should take time to read it. I usually find them informative, both fiction and non-fiction.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 01:12 PM   #13
KenIsaacson
I am what I am
KenIsaacson understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'KenIsaacson understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'KenIsaacson understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'KenIsaacson understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'KenIsaacson understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'KenIsaacson understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'KenIsaacson understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'KenIsaacson understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'KenIsaacson understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'KenIsaacson understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'KenIsaacson understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle
Absolutely. I'm just as interested in what went into the making of the book as in the book itself, and the preface usually enlightens me in this regard.
KenIsaacson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 01:26 PM   #14
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
I usually read prefaces. Like KenIsaacson, I find them interesting in regard of the making of the book. Okay, the acknowledgements are for those who are mentioned there.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 02:04 PM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I always read the preface. In fact, I tend to read every single word in a book.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote