Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-23-2011, 02:28 PM   #1
well69
well69 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Using Wifi on top of Registration Hack

I'm interested in bypassing Amazon all together. I have a Kindle 3 3g that I'd like to use only the Wifi on. I cannot register the device.

Is it possible to use the wifi to have Calibre send books over my wifi without connecting to amazon's servers?

thanks in advance.
well69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:29 PM   #2
jeromedevine
Zealot
jeromedevine doesn't litterjeromedevine doesn't litterjeromedevine doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3 3G Graphite, Sony PRS-505
Why don't you register it?
jeromedevine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2011, 03:05 PM   #3
well69

I cannot register it. Please read the original post. Mods, please delete this and the post above. This doesn't need to be a flame thread about registering. I will not be registering this device. Ever. Period.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:11 PM   #4
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
In other words - its a bricked Kindle you got from somewhere. If that's the case, you might as well drop the snit and just say so.

Okay. No, I really don't know of a way to move books via the WiFi network but maybe ask in the Calibre forum. You can of course sideload using the USB cable.

Or just buy a working model and get full functionality.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:21 PM   #5
well69

This is a Kindle Specific request. I want to know how to utilize the kindle Wifi functionality on a "bricked" kindle
Advert
Old 02-23-2011, 05:03 PM   #6
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
The basic answer is that you can't.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:28 PM   #7
well69

Thanks Koland, what an informative answer.

Now would someone who actually knows how to read post a response?
Old 02-24-2011, 01:21 AM   #8
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
It is possible. Install usbNetwork, configure it for wi-fi & ssh only and let it autostart.
Then use this Calibre plugin to send your books to Kindle over wi-fi.
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:37 AM   #9
wigm
Enthusiast
wigm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX, K3, Nook, TouchPad
I believe you can. Just use the server option in Calibre and point your kindle browser to the IP of that computer. You will have to pull the books from your Kindle by clicking on the books you want to download, they have to be in the right format. If you are worried about the Kindle connecting to Amazon just block the Kindle MAC address at your wifi router from going to the internet, or block the kindle from going to Amazon.
If i'm wrong please let me know.

Last edited by wigm; 02-24-2011 at 11:39 AM. Reason: minor correction.
wigm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:58 AM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by well69
Now would someone who actually knows how to read post a response?
Gee, I wonder why you haven't been inundated with hundreds of helpful responses already.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:01 PM   #11
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Gee, I wonder why you haven't been inundated with hundreds of helpful responses already.
I was trying to figure out why his Karma was so low given his friendly nature.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:30 PM   #12
ski_power
Book eater
ski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3 G 3G (<-lol)
I'm not trying to be *that* guy but with the complacence with which the OP says "I will not be registering the Kindle. Ever." makes me think he stole someones Kindle. I may be wrong though. *shrug*
ski_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:25 PM   #13
well69

Every time ANYONE wants to know how to do something without registering their Kindle there are several dozen jerky and unhelpful responses asking why they don't just register it.
I don't need those responses, and I don't want an otherwise useful thread to fall prey to self-righteous trolls.
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/ele/2192667341.html
I am trying to return the lost/stolen kindle to the rightful owner. I have called Amazon, who will not help! Moving on, I am going to wait until the craigslist ad expires then consider the lost/stolen kindle mine.

So, you have your information. Now GO AWAY unless you have useful, relevant information!

To DSMID, thank you very much. I'm reading the link and information as soon as I click send. Thanks for your helpful and informed reply.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:16 PM   #14
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
So, you have your information. Now GO AWAY unless you have useful, relevant information!
Doesn't work that way, Sport. You get to create the thread... you don't get to police or censor it.

Your request wasn't actually that unique or special. You could have left the whole "This Kindle will never be registered" drama out of it, and simply asked how to wirelessly access your Kindle's documents folder on your home network (Most likely, the "Kindle developer forum" would have been your best bet).

There was just no need to start with "pissy"... now you've got nothing to build towards.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:47 PM   #15
ballen
ballen began at the beginning.

Device: treo 600
Lost Kindle?

So I responded to the Craigslist ad of Well69 because my wife left her kindle on a plane last year. However, Amazon said they couldn't trace a re-activation of this kindle in case there was some kind of dispute after it was sold to someone else, etc. So I find it interesting that it can't be activated. Anyway I since bought her another one but will try to find the serial number if nothing else for curiosity's sake.
ballen is offline   Reply With Quote