Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-31-2011, 10:41 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
How many people have you 'converted' to ebook reading?

Just curious who in your life has either purchased an ebook reader or been given one thanks to your intervention I can't take credit for my sister (she was reading on her old Palm years before I even thought about it!) but I did get both of my parents reading. I had a Kobo which I gifted to Mom (she loves it, but has yet to plug it into the computer herself; I am still buying all the books for her); Dad (I campaigned for this to be a joint sibling father's day gift---he loves his Kobo but has yet to progress beyond the 100 freebies); my aunt (showed her my Kindle and she bought one immediately) and possibly my other aunt (she saw the Kindle as well and is possibly buying one for her birthday). My uncle also reads on an iPad but I think he discovered that on his own. And my boss is very close to buying one for herself; I have showed her a few in the past and she bought our admin a Sony for Christmas but has not bought one yet for herself). So, that's about 4 for me. Any for you?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:44 PM   #2
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
No-one so far but not for want of trying!

Cheers,

Anne
amward is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2011, 10:47 PM   #3
Pickering
Connoisseur
Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle 3
well I'm not sure. I've showed my Kindle to two people who later bought one of their own... but I think they would have done it anyway
Pickering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:49 PM   #4
hgwlackey
Zealot
hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle Touch, HTC Thunderbolt
I've given away seven readers, helped two people purchase readers, and ages ago I got my husband reading on his phone (which he's perfectly happy with--he doesn't want a dedicated reader).

Yup. I'm a pusher.
hgwlackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:59 PM   #5
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Two good friends got Sony Readers after I showed them how well mine worked; my daughter's got a Kindle and my husband a Sony PRS-300. I've got a few friends at Dreamwidth that I've encouraged while they were thinking about ebook readers, and a couple of people in the office that I've pitched them to.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2011, 12:27 AM   #6
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
I've given Kindles, a Nook and an iPad, but I dunno that I converted anyone. I give people what I think they might like, but I don't follow up. I figure no one wants to be put on the spot if they don't like a gift, lol. And I don't mind at all if people return gifts if they don't like 'em, and get something they do like.

I did hear from one friend -- whose husband I'd given a Kindle -- that it had changed their lives. He had been incapacitated by a traumatic illness, couldn't hold a book, and was able to read again with the Kindle.

Elsewise, I don't lobby people to switch to e-reading. If they ask, I will answer.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:38 AM   #7
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
I've bought 3 Kindles for other people, who expressed a desire for one, and converted another person to ebooks - he's buying a nook color or a sony.

One of my doctors had a Sony, but bought himself a Kindle after playing with mine. I hadn't tried to convert him to Kindle at all - actually told him to check out the newest Sonys (which I just love).
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:16 AM   #8
Jcas
Zealot
Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle PW2,Kindle DXG,iPhone 4
After seeing my Kindle, both Hubby and Sister also purchased one, in fact Sister purchased 2 ..
Jcas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:56 AM   #9
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Three so far and still trying for more
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:25 AM   #10
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Two people bought Sony PRS-505 because of me, or my Sony Reader? Dunno.
Have they been converted to ebook reading? No. Not at all.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:38 AM   #11
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Since I got my Gen3, both my parents have bought ebook readers, as well as four of my uncles and aunts. I've heard some other relatives have got one, but they didn't see mine. There are also a few friends and work colleages with an ebook reader, but they weren't influenced by my having one either. My brother-in-law wants me to get a new reader and give him mine
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:40 AM   #12
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
I only made an effort with my wife to "convert" her as you put it.
Other 4 people bought e-readers on their own, after seeing mine.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:53 AM   #13
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Only one so far (a good friend), but I'm working on others. Also, my husband has been promised my PRS-505 as soon as I upgrade it. I'm sure I could convert more, though; I blame the lack of availability of e-book readers and their inflated prices here in Croatia.

I saw my first ever e-book reader in a store here in Croatia yesterday! It was a Presagio Libretto, selling for about $200 USD. There was only one left (It was in the electronics section of a grocery store), but it was all locked up so I couldn't play with it. It seems to take every format under the sun.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:03 AM   #14
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
I gave away my Sony 505 (to my uncle) and my Sony 600 (to my son). A good friend bought a Sony 350 after seeing my 650.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:03 AM   #15
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post

I saw my first ever e-book reader in a store here in Croatia yesterday! It was a Presagio Libretto, selling for about $200 USD. There was only one left (It was in the electronics section of a grocery store), but it was all locked up so I couldn't play with it. It seems to take every format under the sun.

My third convert got one. They are 250€ here in Germany. I also liked it, when she showed it to me as it seems to be very versatile.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote