Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 01-03-2011, 01:12 AM   #1
amybobamy
Befuddled Neophyte
amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Nook Color
Red face Hello! In Need of Literati Help!

Hello everyone and happy new year!

How on earth can I get my Literati to read PDF files? I have figured out how to download them from the library, and to load them onto the Literati, but the device itself does not acknowledge that they even exist.

I purchased a Literati device because I wanted to give e-reading a try, but this thing has been nothing but trouble. The idea was to cut back on my book expenditures by downloading books from the library. Had never done this before, so it did not begin to occur to me that there are so many different formats!

I'll bypass the problem that it is virtually impossible for me to get kobo books downloaded to my device. Or, that it barely holds a charge. Or, that it was supposed to be preloaded with 150 books, and it came with 25.

MY BIG PROBLEM: I have electronically borrowed several books from the library, and downloaded them onto my "Adobe Digital Editions." Then, they were transferred to the device using ADE. But the device cannot read them. I tried to use Calibre to reformat them, but ... it says they are DRM, and cannot be reformatted.

Any help here? I am reading that DRM is the sticky tar of no-access-permitted, but I did read in another thread that someone was able to do it.

Thank you in advance!
amybobamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:57 AM   #2
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Hi Amy, welcome to the board!

WRT the DRM issue, you'll need to google to find ways around that issue. As it's ethically questionable, it's a subject that is not allowed to be discussed on this forum, but if you google, you'll see there is info.

You might want to try looking for a sub forum on the forum list to see where you can find some help for your specific device.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2011, 04:07 AM   #3
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, Amy. Morally justified as it might be at times, stripping DRM is not legal. So, as Grace says, we can't discuss it here. But you can find out how with a quick Google search. Also as Grace says, you might want to ask about your Literati problems in another thread for experienced user advice. There's a fix for pretty well everything within the generous membership here. Good luck and best wishes for the year ahead. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:27 AM   #4
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW

Welcome to mobileread....

I don't know that device you've got but from your description of the problem, you may not have a pdf reader on the device?

What format are the books already on the unit?
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:52 AM   #5
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
Hello and welcome to MR!

Imogen
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2011, 09:11 AM   #6
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Amy and welcome to MobileRead
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:25 AM   #7
Valmore Daniels
Grand Sorcerer
Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
welcome
Valmore Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:27 AM   #8
amybobamy
Befuddled Neophyte
amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Wow, What a Great Friendly Group!

First, I must say that I have participated in many, many discussion boards but not ONCE have I ever received such a gracious welcome!

I wanted to clarify that I am not interested in "stripping" the DRM from the files, I just want the reader to be able to read the books.

So ... IS there a reader out there that will read both epub and pdf books (plus a variety of other formats)?

I'm probably going to return the Literati, but I can see that it would be neato to HAVE and use an e-reader. My resolution this year is to spend LESS money on books by borrowing from the library both physically and electronically (school teacher, budget cuts, furlough days, etc.).

Any and all advice is gratefully received.

Amy
Old 01-03-2011, 02:56 PM   #9
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Hi. Amy, welcome to MR from the Netherlands. There's a thread on the Kindleforum about DRM.
For which reader to choose, I would look around on the forum.
There's lots of info here and also a huge library of good formatted free classic ebooks, that you might already begin to read on your PC.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:17 PM   #10
ashleecrazee
ashleecrazee began at the beginning.

Device: Literati
Quote:
Originally Posted by amybobamy View Post

How on earth can I get my Literati to read PDF files? I have figured out how

I'll bypass the problem that it is virtually impossible for me to get kobo books downloaded to my device. Or, that it barely holds a charge. Or, that it was supposed to be preloaded with 150 books, and it came with 25.

MY BIG PROBLEM: I have electronically borrowed several books from the library, and downloaded them onto my "Adobe Digital Editions." Then, they were transferred to the device using ADE. But the device cannot read them. I tried to use Calibre to reformat them, but ... it says they are DRM, and cannot be reformatted.
Hey Amy, I just got Literati also, about 2 weeks ago. At first, it gave me nothing but trouble and after hours of aggravation, i gave up and exhanged it for a new one. Then I THOUGHT this one was working...it isn't. Not only does Kobo software suck, My Adobe DIgital Editions doesn't read the device. I am at a loss of what to do, I think I may return it. I really think this device...well, I think it is of no real use. If you find any REAL helpful information, you should definetly contact me, and I will do the same.
ashleecrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:40 PM   #11
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Hello and welcome to mr.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:50 PM   #12
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by amybobamy View Post
First, I must say that I have participated in many, many discussion boards but not ONCE have I ever received such a gracious welcome!

I wanted to clarify that I am not interested in "stripping" the DRM from the files, I just want the reader to be able to read the books.

So ... IS there a reader out there that will read both epub and pdf books (plus a variety of other formats)?

I'm probably going to return the Literati, but I can see that it would be neato to HAVE and use an e-reader. My resolution this year is to spend LESS money on books by borrowing from the library both physically and electronically (school teacher, budget cuts, furlough days, etc.).

Any and all advice is gratefully received.

Amy
There are several e-ink readers that read both epub and pdf books. The Sony readers all do, the Pocketbook readers, the Kobo readers, and there are likely more that I am forgetting. Best of luck finding a device that you like. I am not familiar with the Literati device, so I can't help you with your problem.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:51 PM   #13
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Oh, and welcome to MR! This link might help you a bit:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_devices
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:51 PM   #14
amybobamy
Befuddled Neophyte

Okay -- Hey, wait!!!

The Sony readers can "read" both pdf and epub? Is that true?

What are the Sony readers???

I am asking my husband to return the Literati tomorrow. The thing is just monstrous.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:15 PM   #15
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
There is a lovely sony sub forum here! I myself love my 505 (not readily available any longer), but dream about a 650 (currently very difficult to find)... Sony can easily read library books as well.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adobe digital editions, drm, literati