Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-27-2010, 05:05 PM   #1
raenedaz
raenedaz began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
PRS-600 does not read Calibre tags as collections

I, like many others, prefer to look for my books by collection. I've spent the past month figuring out a lot of Calibre and still have no luck getting a collection to show on my reader. I do not connect the reader to the computer. I use it strictly through the 16GB SD card.
I've gotten the metadata straightened out on over 1500 books and finally figured out how to do the regex to read it off the file name.
I've got everything set up as far as series names, numbers, and a tag that matches the series name. I've tried epub vs. lrf. I've tried leaving the series name off. I've tried using different SD cards. I've tried it between the PRS-505 and the PRS-600. Yes, I've even spent hours looking through the threads here for some idea.
I get all of my books loaded, but not one collection shows on the reader.
Help! What am I missing?
raenedaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 07:57 PM   #2
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Are they working on the 505 but not the 600? Or can't you get collections to show on either one?
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:04 PM   #3
raenedaz

I haven't gotten collections to work on either one. I think there might have be a software problem with the 505, due to what I've read on here, which is why I've been working with the 600 for the past week. Nothing I do works. I'm at a total loss.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:09 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
got to preferences->plugins->device interaface plugins and customize the prs 600 driver. Make sure tags are in the set of metadata from which collections should be created.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:41 PM   #5
raenedaz

I've already done that. The save template string reads: {author_sort}/{series}/{series_index:0>3s}. I have 'series,tags' in the field for collection metadata. Have I done something wrong here?
Old 04-27-2010, 09:50 PM   #6
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Which version are you using? I have used Calibre ever since I found it here on MR and never had any problems organising my books with tags into collections that are all transferred to my reader.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:53 PM   #7
raenedaz

I just started with 6.48 and am now using 6.49
Old 04-27-2010, 09:57 PM   #8
raenedaz

Update: I just changed driver customization to only have series in the metadata collection field. No luck. I've also tried tags alone in the field. No luck either.
I don't doubt that Calibre works. I just can't figure out what I've got wrong that's keeping it from loading on my reader. Should I plug in my reader? I've never plugged it into the computer. As I said, I run strictly off my SD card.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:05 PM   #9
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Hm, sounds bizarre. Not sure where you are going wrong.

I import the books into Calibre - then make changes, adding tags etc. I have found it doesn't work too well with books that have DRMs though. If I add tags to a book with DRM in Calibre I can't read it.

I export all the books onto the reader - never worked with SD card but it should work as well.

Not sure what all the strings mean - I haven't done any changes there - just installed Calibre and started adding the tags.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:12 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
are you getting empty collections on the device or no collections at all?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:12 PM   #11
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I transfer directly to the Reader (and its SD card, if one happens to be in there) and my collections work fine. I don't think that should be the problem, but you have nothing to lose by trying it.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:20 PM   #12
raenedaz

OK. I get no collections. I did plug in my reader and, of course, Sony auto installed the driver. I still have no collections showing. And Calibre doesn't recognize it being plugged in.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:23 PM   #13
Katti's Cat
Wizard

I stopped the Sony Reader software as soon as I can.

Calibre does take a while to recognise the reader on my puter too but it does eventually. Sorry I can't help you anymore - this sounds way too technical for me.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:47 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by raenedaz View Post
I've already done that. The save template string reads: {author_sort}/{series}/{series_index:0>3s}. I have 'series,tags' in the field for collection metadata. Have I done something wrong here?
That is not what Kovid said to do :/ in the message above yours.

There are device plug-ins for your device.
The settings you made are for simple devices that do not use meta-data to display book info, like mine.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:17 PM   #15
raenedaz

I believe I followed is instructions to the tee.
I went to 'preferences'-'plugins'-'device interface plugins' and selected the plugin for PRS-600 and clicked 'customize' which only has three options to work with: what file types and their order (all are checked), the save template (which is the string I gave that I put in due to the fact that I look for my book files that way), and the collection metadata (which has "tags, series" in it.
Are you reading something else in Kovid's instructions? Please explain, because the above is what I saw and clicked on according to his instructions. If there is something I missed, I'm willing to look for it.

Tags
collections, prs-600, series, tags