Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-10-2010, 08:56 AM   #31
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
I have no use for the iPad, but I don't think that's the case at all.

Apple makes a significant portion of their revenues from the iPhone -- around $5.6 billion in 2009 (and they only started selling 'em in early 2007), and the iPod pulled in another $3.4 billion. Even if the iPad is a total flop, the iPhone/iPod makes so much money, expanding that product line is a no-brainer.

If Apple puts out an iBackScratcher, then I'll agree with you.
Just for reference: In 2005/2006, Siemens did pull the plug from their mobile phone division. Back then, their revenue was about $ 5 billion. Way too low in Siemens' mindset. For a "startup" (in that area), Apple's figures certainly are okay. And of course their profit lies in iTunes. But it's quite interesting, how sales figures, that are mediocre at best, are considered revolutionary by some.
Still one has to admire Apple's rise from the ashes, being close to chapter 11 not so long ago.

Last edited by mgmueller; 03-10-2010 at 08:59 AM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:46 AM   #32
Beserka
Beserka began at the beginning.

Device: Thinking about Bebook Neo
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
I think I will sit out the early tablet wars and wait for better screens and battery life. I have decided that I don't really need it if it is just another browsing and media device. And how good these things really are for reading, that we will find out from all you early adopters in a month or two. So just sit back and relax while they get better and better, hopefully.
I agree totally.
The battery life for the IPAD will be absolute rubbish compared to a dedicated E-Reader.
Beserka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:05 AM   #33
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beserka View Post
I agree totally.
The battery life for the IPAD will be absolute rubbish compared to a dedicated E-Reader.
And the battery life on an ereader will be rubbish compared to a digital watch.

why compare battery life on completely different devices?
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:56 AM   #34
FireRunner
eAddict
FireRunner is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
And the battery life on an ereader will be rubbish compared to a digital watch.

why compare battery life on completely different devices?
The comparison is needed if we are talking about eReaders. If we're looking at the iPad as an eReader it has to be compared to current eReaders. And, it doesn't stand up in both readability and battery life.

What I love about a five day battery life is not having to charge my eReader every night. With an iPad you will have to charge it every night. It's a matter related devices.
FireRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:01 PM   #35
FireRunner
eAddict
FireRunner is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook
Quote:
The problem being though that currently removing THOSE limits introduces OTHER limits!

add usb port, HDMI out, higher resolution screen,equals heavier machine and higher cost.
add multitasking, flash = shorter battery life

those are two very big selling points to the user!

THAT is why Apple have focused on a very simple form of device that is NOT and was never intented to be a full fledged portable computer, but IS an effective media web video reading device. the tablet PC market is clearly not what Apple are aiming at.

adding all of the above would add no value to the product for me and many basic users that want this device for movies music and apps but WOULD reduce battery and increase Weight/Size that would be imo a stupid move.
From what I've read, viewed, and researched about the HP Slate the price is about $300 to $400. That is lower than the iPad. Also, the weight is minimal at best. Over time no one notices the weight, similar to the Nook/Kindle/Sony (once you choose one and use it the weight is a second thought because you are accustomed to it).

In regards to Flash, the battery life argument doesn't work for me. If I'm streaming video I know it will drain the battery. It should be the consumer's choice to what they wish on the web, not some company's choice. Apple isn't giving the consumer the option which I don't like (and I have two MacBooks and iPhone). Apple doesn't like Flash because it cuts into their profits and competes with iTunes.

Last edited by FireRunner; 03-10-2010 at 12:05 PM.
FireRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:09 PM   #36
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireRunner View Post
The comparison is needed if we are talking about eReaders. If we're looking at the iPad as an eReader it has to be compared to current eReaders. And, it doesn't stand up in both readability and battery life.

What I love about a five day battery life is not having to charge my eReader every night. With an iPad you will have to charge it every night. It's a matter related devices.
This isnt about e-readers though is it? its a thread on the iPad which clearly ISNT an ereader! even if it were then most people I would assume do less than 10 hours of reading on an ebook and if teh battery claims made by jobs are true that its 10 hours inc video and other use then it may be even longer! 20 hrs of batt for reading would easily last me a week! in fact 10 hours in a normal week would do me for at least 5 or 6 days, and recharging once a week doesnt seem a big issue.?

if this is about ereaders and we are looking at the iPad as an ereader then I could point out that I can look at colour book illustrations and read comics ect ect

but its not an ereader its a tablet that you can read on and its a slightly silly comparison to point out some of the more obvious differences that exist purely because they are different devices.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:13 PM   #37
stustaff
Wizard

Quote:
From what I've read, viewed, and researched about the HP Slate the price is about $300 to $400. That is lower than the iPad. Also, the weight is minimal at best. Over time no one notices the weight, similar to the Nook/Kindle/Sony (once you choose one and use it the weight is a second thought because you are accustomed to it).

In regards to Flash, the battery life argument doesn't work for me. If I'm streaming video I know it will drain the battery. It should be the consumer's choice to what they wish on the web, not some company's choice. Apple isn't giving the consumer the option which I don't like (and I have two MacBooks and iPhone). Apple doesn't like Flash because it cuts into their profits and competes with iTunes.
but again it doesnt matter about you as you clearly know that Flash can impact battery life! the average person will not know taht and will blame the iPad for the short battery life and not get that potentially its an externally made software that is partly to balem. so Applle chose not to have it. the option is there because you dont have to have Apple! however windows mobile 7 also doesnt have flash i believe?

The HP slate for me seems similiar to the Archos and they just don have a big enough screen for me as Comic reading is an important feature for me.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:27 PM   #38
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
however windows mobile 7 also doesnt have flash i believe?
The word seems to be that Windows Mobile 7 won't support Flash at its initial launch, but that Microsoft and Adobe are working together to release it for the platform as soon as possible.

However, is Mobile 7 intended for devices the size of the iPad or larger, or is it aimed purely at phones?

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:53 PM   #39
stustaff
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
The word seems to be that Windows Mobile 7 won't support Flash at its initial launch, but that Microsoft and Adobe are working together to release it for the platform as soon as possible.

However, is Mobile 7 intended for devices the size of the iPad or larger, or is it aimed purely at phones?

Graham
Courier is rumoured to have win 7 mob on it isnt it? or is that zune software? dont think that has flash?

have to admit that I understand why some people miss flash but to me its a complete non issue as I dont use it now (I have iPhone and use firefox with flashblock on my computer) and have never in my everyday use come across a site that uses flash! Also its so well known now that people will be able to at least know that the iPad doesnt have it.

[
Old 03-10-2010, 03:03 PM   #40
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Apparently Mobile 7 is to be used in the Microsoft Courier project:

http://mashable.com/2010/03/05/more-...urier-details/

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:40 PM   #41
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beserka View Post
I agree totally.
The color screen and video playback on e-readers are rubbish compared to the iPad. Apples and oranges?
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:52 PM   #42
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:

You're planning on watching video for 10 hours straight on an iPad? The device isn't even out yet so you have no idea what battery life would be like for just ereading.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:00 PM   #43
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I don't think I'd prefer to read ebooks on an iPad, but I imagine they'd be great for writing; both with the stylus and the virtual keyboard. I would prefer a fatter stylus, however, than the ones I've seen in the pictures and videos.

For reading, I'll take a device that's approximately 10 inches and utilizes e-ink any day of the week over a 1.5 lb. device with a backlit screen.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ipad