Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-02-2010, 04:45 AM   #1
nick101
Groupie
nick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-600 Touch, iPhone
All The Many Ways Amazon So Very Failed the Weekend

http://whatever.scalzi.com/2010/02/0...d-the-weekend/
nick101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:24 AM   #2
Tim32127
Tim32127 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick101 View Post
Thank You, That was the best one I've read yet.
Tim...
Tim32127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2010, 09:09 AM   #3
milaru
milaru began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
of all the blog posts from authors you picked the least informed, and most arrogant, of them. Why for the love of god does this man get credit for anything, let him go back to consulting for the rotting corpse of stargate and writing about elves or whatever he does. There are dozens of more informed writers blogging about this like adults.
milaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:14 AM   #4
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
After reading that blog, I just removed Scalzi from my "To Read" list. I kept waiting for something to indicate it was a joke or sarcasm. Ugg.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:21 AM   #5
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
After reading that blog, I just removed Scalzi from my "To Read" list. I kept waiting for something to indicate it was a joke or sarcasm. Ugg.
That's a shame I love Scalzi's books and would probably never dismiss a book because i agree disagree with its author about political/professional/personal issues.
eg orson scott card and his anti gay stuff, pratchett and his thoughts on assisted suicide etc etec

I didn't see anything particularly bad in there, was it something in particular?
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2010, 09:31 AM   #6
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Mostly it was how Scalzi talked about how Amazon messed up and the attitude that came across to me. Without visual cues it's very difficult to read tone but the more I read the less I cared for the author. The more I read about MacMillan the more I object to their strong arming the retailers/distributors into what I consider price fixing. Did you know that MacMillan does not allow their ebooks in public libraries? That alone erases doubt that I had that this is simply a ploy to prop up print books.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:39 AM   #7
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Mostly it was how Scalzi talked about how Amazon messed up and the attitude that came across to me. Without visual cues it's very difficult to read tone but the more I read the less I cared for the author. The more I read about MacMillan the more I object to their strong arming the retailers/distributors into what I consider price fixing. Did you know that MacMillan does not allow their ebooks in public libraries? That alone erases doubt that I had that this is simply a ploy to prop up print books.
I think the public library thing is different to here as in the UK you could just buy a book and put it in the library and our libraries accept donations too so that couldn't be an issue here.

Have you read his other posts on the manner and also take into account that he is a professional writer with a blog that is very successful(it in fact was successful way before he was recognised as an author.)

And as someone trying to have a successful blog exagerating and having a strong opinion is what creates hits and links.

he actually generally seems like a pretty good guy and his books are the best I have read since some of the greats, Asimov, Heinlen etc
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:32 AM   #8
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Scalzi does come off as an ass (IMO) regularly on his blog. I had to stop reading it in order to keep enjoying his published work (which I have, for the most part).
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:01 AM   #9
jmaloney
Connoisseur
jmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Reader Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
I think the public library thing is different to here as in the UK you could just buy a book and put it in the library and our libraries accept donations too so that couldn't be an issue here.
It's the same here in the US. But TallMomOf2 was talking about e-books, which is entirely different. You can't just buy and e-book and donate it to the library, unfortunately.

I don't see what's wrong with Scalzi's post. Putting aside whether you agree with Amazon vs. Macmillan's in regard to pricing (consumers want lower prices, naturally), Amazon acted like a petulant child who took his ball back because the other kids weren't playing the way he wanted to. Do they have a legitimate reason to disagree with Macmillan? Sure. But they way they handled it was awful. A lot of that could have been mitigated by simply coming out at the beginning and saying "Hey, we're removing Macmillan books from our site because we disagree with the pricing structure they want to implement, and we think you consumers deserve better." They kinda, sorta, did that later on, but by then it was too late.
jmaloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:12 AM   #10
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Scalzi's latest post, A Call For Author Support asks his readers to buy Macmillan authors from other sites and stores, since Amazon is still boycotting Macmillan. I agree that authors, like readers, got caught in the cross fire but with the exception of new releases I would not expect this to have a lasting impact on sales of paper books.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:18 AM   #11
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Here's what happened:

Amazon prevented consumers from buying books they wanted. This hurts consumers and authors. Amazon hurt John Scalzi and he and other authors did not take kindly to being hurt.

I don't necessarily agree with everything in Macmillan's proposal, but the idea of paying $15 for the e-books of new release hardcovers and $6 for the e-books of backlist paperbacks doesn't bother me. I won't pay $15 for all e-books, but there are some I will - same as with print authors. I can wait until the price drops to what I'm willing to pay for the rest.

Under the Macmillan plan, no one has to pay more than $10 for an e-book if they don't want to. You just can't buy the e-book on the same day as the hardcover release for $10.

If you want first crack at the latest Baen release by one of their bestselling authors in e-book form, you get the E-Arc for $15. If you don't want to pay that, you wait and either buy the single for $6 or get the bundle in webscriptions.

Macmillan's plan sounds suspiciously similar. They're just stretching it over more time and being more granular with intermediate price points.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:18 AM   #12
milaru

yet another reason why Scalzi is misguided in the whole thing. Calling for the support of Macmillian who is rapidly trying to screw their writers seems to be about par for the course for the guy. He doesn't seem interested in fixing the problem, he wants to sell books, but he doesn't get that his publisher is more interested in hurting his book sales than actually letting their product be sold.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:24 AM   #13
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by milaru View Post
yet another reason why Scalzi is misguided in the whole thing. Calling for the support of Macmillian who is rapidly trying to screw their writers seems to be about par for the course for the guy. He doesn't seem interested in fixing the problem, he wants to sell books, but he doesn't get that his publisher is more interested in hurting his book sales than actually letting their product be sold.
Macmillan isn't trying to screw their writers: Amazon is trying to pull a Wal-Mart and screw everyone upstream of them in the supply chain; including both publishers and authors.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:25 AM   #14
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
I don't necessarily agree with everything in Macmillan's proposal, but the idea of paying $15 for the e-books of new release hardcovers and $6 for the e-books of backlist paperbacks doesn't bother me.
What may bother Amazon the most is the loss of the ability to discount ebooks, because large stores can do this more effectively than small stores. On the other hand it isn't actually clear that this will be the case (is this really an agency relationship?) and there may be work-arounds (e.g. rebates like Books on Board and FictionWise use).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:37 AM   #15
milaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
Macmillan isn't trying to screw their writers: Amazon is trying to pull a Wal-Mart and screw everyone upstream of them in the supply chain; including both publishers and authors.
Selling the same product for more money and giving less to the authors sure doesn't sound like not trying to screw the writers, especially on a product that can be essentially reproduced for nothing. But hey, if you price it high enough that it won't sell, you don't have to worry about how much you pay the writers, you can blame amazon for it not selling rather than your screwing of consumers, and the format the publisher wants dead might even stagnate.

and trying to compare this to wal mart is pretty far fetched, Amazon wasn't trying to dictate what Macmillian sold books to them for and forcing them to cut back on their already lackluster ebook support in order to hit a price goal.