Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-18-2009, 07:53 PM   #1
ZJH
Hanlin Agent in Singapore
ZJH began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
Smile Plastic Logic under the cover of Barnes and Noble?

Barnes and Noble's e-book reader has hit the FCC. See links here.

Engadget indicates that the e-book reader may well be from Plastic Logic, as Barnes and Noble is Plastic Logic's "exclusive eBookstore provider".

I hope Plastic Logic will roll out its large size e-book reader soon, so that the fat price tag of large screen readers will be slimmed down.

Last edited by Nate the great; 09-18-2009 at 08:15 PM.
ZJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:22 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
If the diagram of the FCC sticker on the back is to scale, the device's overall dimensions are about 140x200 mm. In other words about the size of the Kindle 2. So this isn't the Plastic Logic reader. It could be the 8.1" iRex DR800 or a 6" screen.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:04 PM   #3
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
But the K2 has a ginormous bezel and the keyboard. If it is the same size as the K2 from the back, it could be much larger than a 6" screen.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 01:31 AM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Personally, I do not think this is the Plastic Logic device.

Plastic Logic has announced a partnership with B & N already. Why would B & N be applying for FCC certification of the Plastic Logic device?

Of course, time will tell.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 08:20 AM   #5
zacheryjensen
Addict
zacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
But the K2 has a ginormous bezel and the keyboard. If it is the same size as the K2 from the back, it could be much larger than a 6" screen.
Right, which as the previous poster points out it could be the new iRex device. In fact, I'm guessing that myself without hesitation as other sources already point to a relationship between BN and iRex and this manifestation of it would fit the niche that is ignored by the announced large screen Plastic Logic reader.

My guess is that the only reason Plastic Logic is openly advertising their partnerships is because they are desperately seeking market acceptance before their product launches. My guess is that it's going to be way more expensive to produce than they imply and so they need to build up investor support so they can sell it at cost or loss for a short time while production quality ramps up.

Since iRex already has experience, they can bring a reader to market faster. BN might have an 8.1" reader out in time for Black Friday...
zacheryjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 08:23 AM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
If it is the same size as the K2 from the back, it could be much larger than a 6" screen.
It could be an 8.1" screen. In fact, iRex has already said their DR800 is about as large as a Kindle 2. It could not be a 9.7" screen, since there would then be no room for a bezal, or the even larger Plastic Logic screen.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:12 AM   #7
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I'm not familiar with iRex devices other than knowing that they exist. If it is an iRex device, is the screen eInk or LCD?

I'm also wondering what formats a B&N device will support other than eReader. I've repeatedly written to B&N (I send an e-mail each time I order a hardcover pbook that B&N also offers as an ebook) saying how I am a longtime B&N customer, a member of B&N's discount club, a holder of the B&N mastercard, and a member of their Fictionwise club, who would like to buy this book in ebook as well as in hardcover (2 sales) but that the eReader format is unusable to me and most of the ereading world (i.e., those who prefer to read on something other than their cell phone). So when will B&N offer ebooks in a format compatible with most dedicated ereading devices like Sony? So far -- except for one response -- the response are uniform: an ignoring of the question by responding that they offer Secure eReader.

The one nonconforming response said that Sony won't permit competing formats on its devices, to which I responded that Sony does permit ePub with ADE which B&N could also offer. But my response must have gotten lost in the netherworld.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 09:59 AM   #8
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
I'm not familiar with iRex devices other than knowing that they exist. If it is an iRex device, is the screen eInk or LCD?
It is EInk, see E-book Reader Matrix: Larger Devices. The DR800 will be a relatively high-end device with an 8.1" EInk screen and Wacom touch input (so no screen issues from the touch capability). The biggest problem with iRex Readers has been battery life. We know that the DR800 will read eReader ebooks from the B&N store, with direct 3G (AT&T?) wireless downloads (IREX “consumer” eReader to feature Barnes & Noble eBookstore).

It is not just iRex and (perhaps) Plastic Logic - Astak wants to add eReader to all its Readers in addition to Adobe Digital Editions. My guess is that B&N's lawyers will sit on the Astak agreement until their own device is available. In the long term, there will be a choice of EInk devices supporting B&N (eReader) ebooks. These will not include Sony or Amazon devices though.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:49 AM   #9
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera
Faenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300 & HTC HD2
While the Wacom touchscreen do not add glare, it need more power than a normal touchscreen.
Some Irex automatically power off the touchscreen when the stylus is inside it's hole, which helps, but not all.
Also you can't use your finger directly on it.
Faenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 10:51 AM   #10
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera
Faenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300 & HTC HD2
Could a Irex owner tell us how is the PDF support on their most recent devices/firmwares?

I hope it's as good or better than the Sony readers.
Faenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 01:11 PM   #11
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Thanks, Wallcraft, for the information. I've been waiting to see the PlasticLogic device before I upgrade from my 505, but what I'm really looking for is a larger format device that will enable me to receive my daily New York Times wirelessly rather than in print form as I currently do, plus give me access to the B&N store (I happen to like buying hardcover pbooks at B&N, and assume that the experience would be similar when buying ebooks; but who knows). Ultimately, the big decider for me will be availability of the New York Times (and The Economist would be a nice bonus); I'm getting tired of having to wait for the carrier to deliver the printed version.

I know Calibre can deliver the Times, but what gets delivered isn't the same as the daily paper and isn't all that easy for me to read on my Sony 505. Plus it means I have to boot up my computer and hook up the Sony, which I prefer not to do first thing in the morning.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 01:17 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Thanks, Wallcraft, for the information. I've been waiting to see the PlasticLogic device before I upgrade from my 505, but what I'm really looking for is a larger format device that will enable me to receive my daily New York Times wirelessly rather than in print form as I currently do, plus give me access to the B&N store (I happen to like buying hardcover pbooks at B&N, and assume that the experience would be similar when buying ebooks; but who knows).
Yep, I'm wanting one to (not for newspapers though).

I think once the Plastic Logic is out I will decided between the Kindle DX the PL or the DR1000SW (are they ever going to sell this).

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 05:48 PM   #13
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Thanks, Wallcraft, for the information. I've been waiting to see the PlasticLogic device before I upgrade from my 505, but what I'm really looking for is a larger format device that will enable me to receive my daily New York Times wirelessly rather than in print form as I currently do, plus give me access to the B&N store (I happen to like buying hardcover pbooks at B&N, and assume that the experience would be similar when buying ebooks; but who knows). Ultimately, the big decider for me will be availability of the New York Times (and The Economist would be a nice bonus); I'm getting tired of having to wait for the carrier to deliver the printed version.

I know Calibre can deliver the Times, but what gets delivered isn't the same as the daily paper and isn't all that easy for me to read on my Sony 505. Plus it means I have to boot up my computer and hook up the Sony, which I prefer not to do first thing in the morning.
A shame that the Times Reader (the new version) is not to be had for an ereading device. We like it a lot and enjoy the full paper rather than a print sub, though we have one of those as well.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 08:00 PM   #14
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
The one nonconforming response said that Sony won't permit competing formats on its devices, to which I responded that Sony does permit ePub with ADE which B&N could also offer. But my response must have gotten lost in the netherworld.
I think some people have gotten Sony confused with Mobipocket. It is the latter, or perhaps more accurately their parent company Amazon, that will not permit DRM for competing formats on devices that license theirs. So while for instance you can have a device that supports protected ePub and eReader, one that supports SecureMobi cannot support anything else (excluding DRM-free formats).
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:35 AM   #15
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quote:
Channel Number : IEEE 802.11b/g: 11 Channels
Operation Frequency : IEEE 802.11b/g: 2412MHz—2462MHz
hmmmm....
I like the sound of that! I only wish Sony and Amazon included such functionality..

Last edited by AprilHare; 09-20-2009 at 07:39 AM. Reason: fixer upper
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barnes and noble, plastic logic