Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-23-2017, 11:38 AM   #811
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxmom03 View Post
I have decided that almost all the cookbooks on Amazon that are "on sale" for $0.00 are scams. I used to download a lot of those but never found anything that I couldn't get by searching the internet. Just made me glad I never paid money for any of them!
I did the same thing. I even coined a new term for them and the self-stolen from others books. I call them scamlets. Self-help and organizing are the other bad ones. I probably wouldn't have reviewed but this one was exceptionally bad.
Now the $1.99 cookbooks are usually a good deal.
Oh and if Open Road publishing does a free sale, those are good. But they are a backlist publisher.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 05:16 PM   #812
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Ginger: Teach Me Everything I Need To Know About Ginger In 30 Minutes - free
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OQUCV6G/

Coffee Roasting at Home - 99 cents
https://www.amazon.com/Coffee-Roasti...dp/B00I3SQXAW/
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 05:39 PM   #813
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Highly Rated Soup Cookbook, from a Reputable Publisher, for Only 99 Cents!

Great price (99 cents) and markdown (84% to the digital list price), great ratings (4.6 stars), good size (225 pages), and from a reputable publisher (Sonoma Press). It looks like it might be a winner.

I love hot soup on cold days. Chilled soups in the summer? Not my thing. But despite the implication of the title, this book has some recipes for those, too.

Soup & Comfort: A Cookbook of Homemade Recipes to Warm the Soul. By Pamela Ellgen. Rated 4.6 stars, from 52 reviews at the present moment at Amazon. Print list price $16.99; digital list price $6.29; Kindle price now $0.99. Sonoma Press, publisher. 225 pages. https://www.amazon.com/Soup-Comfort-.../dp/B017BAD3T6.

Book Description
The answer to your dinnertime dilemma. Family-friendly soups to satisfy your soul—and stomach.

To close the coldest, bone-chilling day or soothe the roughest afternoon, turn to Soup & Comfort for hearty classics, international favorites, and inventive updates.

Packed with pages of nourishing, emotionally satisfying soups and stews using affordable, fresh, easy-to-find ingredients (No bouillon cubes here!), every recipe in this soup cookbook caters to a wide variety of dietary preferences and tastes, from tantalizing vegetarian versions to gluten-free options.

Featuring full-color photos,
Soup & Comfort explores the many ways that homemade soup can nourish body and soul, with:

135 mouthwatering recipes, from comfort classics like Grandma’s Chicken Noodle to international flavors like Chicken Faux Pho
Time-saving tips for making great stocks and preparing perfect garnishes
Convenient fix-and-forget slow cooker recipes plus handy soup tips to liven leftovers
From chilled soups to chowders,
Soup & Comfort offers something for everyone to enjoy—one spoonful at a time.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 07:13 PM   #814
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, Gtrs! Consuming more soup is a New Year's resolution of mine.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:38 PM   #815
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Thanks, Gtrs! Consuming more soup is a New Year's resolution of mine.
What is/are your favorite store-bought soup(s)?
Old 01-24-2017, 09:47 PM   #816
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Most store bought soups are to salty for me. I prefer to make my own. My wife made pasta fagioli last week. It was wonderful.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 10:25 PM   #817
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Most store bought soups are to salty for me. I prefer to make my own. My wife made pasta fagioli last week. It was wonderful.
Apache
Sounds delicious. I haven't had pasta e fagioli soup in quite a while. And when I do eat it, it is almost always at Olive Garden. Their's is good, of course.

Funny story that could only come from a backwater town like I live in. There was an Italian restaurant in town, that actually had very good food. They had quite a bit of turnover in employees, as most restaurants probably do. One time they had this young lady who would pronounce minestrone soup as mine - strone soup. It was obvious that she didn't know much about the food that she was serving. Of course, to a non-Italian it's hard to see how "fagioli" is pronounced the way that it is (I won't attempt to write out the correct pronunciation).

Olive Garden's minestrone soup is good, too. Well, everything is, IMHO.

Was the weather where you are at in South Georgia bad a couple of days ago? Adel, where 12 or more were killed, is just up the road from Valdosta, where I have several friends. Thankfully, damage was minimal there. I know 3 or 4 people in Nashville, too, but I didn't hear of any damage there, either, thankfully.

ADDENDUM: To clarify, I was speaking of Nashville, Georgia.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 01-25-2017 at 01:00 AM.
Old 01-25-2017, 12:01 AM   #818
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

Around here the selection of store-bought soups is not wide. My favorite so far is the Bear Creek brand.

My sister each Christmas sends me some Alessi Italian soups which I always enjoy.
Old 01-25-2017, 12:59 AM   #819
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Around here the selection of store-bought soups is not wide. My favorite so far is the Bear Creek brand.

My sister each Christmas sends me some Alessi Italian soups which I always enjoy.
I have heard of Bear Creek. It is sold in a dried form, isn't it?

There are a lot of choices of brands and kinds of soup if you are willing to shop on the Internet. I may order some Bear Creek and Alessi soups from somewhere, based upon your opinion of them.

Although Progresso soup is widely available in local stores, Target.com had a sale on them for $1.50 and, later $1.25 each, at the same time that they had a promotion of free shipping on an order of any amount (usually it is $50 minimum, I think). I used that as an opportunity to stock up on them.

But very cold weather is pretty rare here, even in the dead of winter, so I have to be careful and not buy so much that have cans of soup cluttering the shelves and counters until next winter.
Old 01-25-2017, 06:24 AM   #820
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
My wife's family speaks an obscure dialect of Italian. They pronounce it Pasta Fazool. Their version of the soup is also a lot thicker than the version that Olive Garden serves. It has a lot more pasta in it and that absorbs more of the liquid.
Apache

Last edited by Apache; 01-25-2017 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Stupid Autocrorrect
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 11:45 AM   #821
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
I have heard of Bear Creek. It is sold in a dried form, isn't it?

There are a lot of choices of brands and kinds of soup if you are willing to shop on the Internet. I may order some Bear Creek and Alessi soups from somewhere, based upon your opinion of them.

Although Progresso soup is widely available in local stores, Target.com had a sale on them for $1.50 and, later $1.25 each, at the same time that they had a promotion of free shipping on an order of any amount (usually it is $50 minimum, I think). I used that as an opportunity to stock up on them.

But very cold weather is pretty rare here, even in the dead of winter, so I have to be careful and not buy so much that have cans of soup cluttering the shelves and counters until next winter.
Check your local Big Lots for Bear creek.

I keep cream of chicken, cream of mushroom and chicken noodle. Not cold here but we eat soups year round.
Oh and I nearly always have cin's jambalaya in the freezer. This latest batch is a cajun, Chinese, Mexican fusion.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 04:32 PM   #822
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
My wife's family speaks an obscure dialect of Italian. They pronounce it Pasta Fazio. Their version of the soup is also a lot thicker than the version that Olive Garden serves. It has a lot more pasta in it and that absorbs more of the liquid.
Apache
It's sounds like you have a wife who is a good cook. You're blessed.
Old 01-25-2017, 04:44 PM   #823
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Check your local Big Lots for Bear creek.
I think that they are available at our local Walmart, also. But it seems like I remember them coming (dried) in bags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Not cold here but we eat soups year round.
I have my quirks, like everyone else, and one of them is that I don't eat soup unless it's cold outside/inside. I also don't drink hot chocolate or hot coffee unless it's cold outside/insid . Now iced coffee is a different matter--I've got one of my iced coffee concoctions sitting right next to me right now. It's pretty good, if I do say so myself.

I'm getting way off topic, I know, but I haven't found any store-bought iced coffee better than Gevalia's. Yum. You can get it in mocha (the mocha taste is subdued), vanilla, and caramel. My preference is the mocha. If anyone is interested in them, let me know and I can tell you how to save a lot of money on them, and get them a lot cheaper than even Wally World has them.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 01-25-2017 at 07:40 PM.
Old 01-25-2017, 06:43 PM   #824
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
I think that they are available at our local Walmart, also. But it seems like I remember them coming (dried) in bags.

I have my quirks, like everyone else, and one of them is that I don't eat soup unless it's cold outside/inside.
How about cold soup ?

And how easily can you obtain fish soup?
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 07:39 PM   #825
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post
How about cold soup ?

And how easily can you obtain fish soup?
Nope, no chilled soup. Not even in the summer. There's just something about that just seems aberrant, if not unnatural. ha

I don't know how easily fish soup is available here, and I don't intend to find out. ha It sounds gross. I'm the same way about fish tacos. Now a good bowl of New England clam chowder, now that's a different matter . . . .