Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 11-18-2008, 06:59 AM   #1
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505
Convert RTF to Sony reader with Images

Hi,

I currently have a document which is loaded with images. From what I understand, in the RTF format, the Sony Reader will not see the images.

Having seen a few LRF files that do have pictures, I thought it would be a simple case of converting.

I have only tried calibre to convert, but this dumped everything except text.

I don't like using PDF as this loses a lot of the formatting.

Is there a way I can format the RTF to how I want and then convert to LRF keeping all pictures (there are no tables or anything so I'm not worried about that!)

Many thanks,
PieOPah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 07:36 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Try rtf2lrf which is part of Calibre. That may do what you want.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 07:42 AM   #3
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Isn't that what I am doing when I convert using the calibre convert button?
Old 11-18-2008, 07:46 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieOPah View Post
Isn't that what I am doing when I convert using the calibre convert button?
You could then try to save it as HTML and use html2lrf. Or you could install Book Designer, the Book Cleaner files, and then load the RTF into Book Designer.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:16 AM   #5
PieOPah
Addict

Thanks, I'll give that a go
Old 11-18-2008, 09:59 AM   #6
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You could then try to save it as HTML
If you do this step, and plan on using Calibre's GUI you need to save the HTML and images as a ZIP if you want your images to show.

Also if you have Word you can use a tool called BookCreator(link).

Just import your RTF file and create an LRF.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:18 AM   #7
PieOPah
Addict

Looks like BookCreator has been updated since I downloaded it - I use it quite a lot to help with my formating.

Thank you for the heads up
Old 11-18-2008, 10:33 AM   #8
PieOPah
Addict

Ignore this post!!!!

Last edited by PieOPah; 11-18-2008 at 10:41 AM.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:40 AM   #9
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Just upload the RTF to BD and create LRF.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 11:17 AM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Just upload the RTF to BD and create LRF.
But BD creates terrible graphics, only black and white I believe, with huge amount of dithering.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 04:44 AM   #11
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
But BD creates terrible graphics, only black and white I believe, with huge amount of dithering.

Dale
I am not sure I follow you.
We are talking about images in RTF file - pictures.
BD inserts them as they are - colour or b/w. I have not noticed any quality issues as well.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 10:51 AM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
I am not sure I follow you.
We are talking about images in RTF file - pictures.
BD inserts them as they are - colour or b/w. I have not noticed any quality issues as well.
That is good to know. My experience with BD is that it modifies them but perhaps it was the output conversion that did the nasty deed. I don't have a Sony so I don't know exactly what BD does to LRF files.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 11:41 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
If you do this step, and plan on using Calibre's GUI you need to save the HTML and images as a ZIP if you want your images to show.

Also if you have Word you can use a tool called BookCreator(link).

Just import your RTF file and create an LRF.

=X=
No, you don't need to zip the html and images. All you need do is run html2lrf from the command line.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:46 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
That is good to know. My experience with BD is that it modifies them but perhaps it was the output conversion that did the nasty deed. I don't have a Sony so I don't know exactly what BD does to LRF files.

Dale
Images in BD are just fine when outputting to LRF. But if you want the LRF to be smaller, convert allt he graphics to at least 256 grey scale before loading them.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:35 PM   #15
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
No, you don't need to zip the html and images. All you need do is run html2lrf from the command line.
Hi Jon,
Yes you are correct, if you look at my original post, I was specifically stating out if he used the GUI he would have to zip up the file. Which from post #3 the poster implies he that is how he uses calibre.

(It took me a while to figure this out, I just want to save some head ache for future users)

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote