Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-06-2013, 10:13 AM   #1
Zannie
Zannie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Unhappy Errors in text

I downloaded a number of books and converted them to Kindle. In some of these books, words containing a double "l" such as parallel, will be typed as paral el. Some sentences will also randomly be repeated throughout the books. Is there a way to rectify this problem?
Thanks
Zannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:15 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zannie View Post
I downloaded a number of books and converted them to Kindle. In some of these books, words containing a double "l" such as parallel, will be typed as paral el. Some sentences will also randomly be repeated throughout the books. Is there a way to rectify this problem?
Thanks
Before answering, what books and where did you download them from?

The reason I'm asking is we've has a number of new members come here to ask for help on pirated/stolen eBooks and I won't help with such. If the eBooks in question are legit, I'll be happy to try to help.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2013, 11:31 AM   #3
Zannie
Zannie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hi! It is just general fiction. The person I got it from says it was from an open site, which he subsequently joined. These however, are from before he joined.
Zannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:52 AM   #4
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Some of the online converters do a terrible job. I converted some of my own text to mobi format using an online converter, and it produced the same kind of errors. Calibre should do a better job than most online converters. I'm sure some online converters are good, but I don't know which ones.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:29 PM   #5
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Sigil can probably do some correcting via search and replace I would think but a good amount of such correcting will probably still be via old fashioned eyeballing of the text. That's how I do correcting of epubs from Gutenberg and Internet Archive when I see that there are broken sentences and such.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2013, 02:14 PM   #6
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Agree with using Sigil to correct the text. When I read on my reader, I just bookmark the pages where I notice errors, then later on I'll go back and correct them when it's convenient in Sigil.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:07 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
Some of the online converters do a terrible job. I converted some of my own text to mobi format using an online converter, and it produced the same kind of errors. Calibre should do a better job than most online converters. I'm sure some online converters are good, but I don't know which ones.
When I last looked at on-line converters, most of them were using calibre to do the conversion. And versions they were using were fairly old.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote