Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 05-08-2012, 11:33 PM   #1
GeckoFriend
Guru
GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad Mini4, Kindle Voyage
Received Fire today - several issues/questions

Today I received my refurbished Fire and already have several problems I need help with.

Battery charging - plugged in and charged; light was orange for a very brief time, then turned green. Battery indicator on status bar does not indicate any battery status.

Page turning - I cannot access menu items, such as settings, beyond the first page so I cannot access the Device menu. Swiping the page does nothing and I can't see any other options. What am I missing?

App download - has been stuck at 10% for two hours (ES File Explorer). This can't be normal and I can't find any way to cancel. I tried downloading a book and it took seconds.

Tried contacting customer support using "Call Me". Message "connecting your call" appeared, phone did not ring, message "your call with us has ended" appeared. Tried several times with same result.

As you can imagine, I am very frustrated with my new toy. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ETA Update:
Just finished "chatting" with support and the end result is they're sending me a replacement.

Last edited by GeckoFriend; 05-09-2012 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Update report
GeckoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:28 AM   #2
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Good to see it kinda sorted! The battery status thing is kinda annoying, I agree. It's hidden in the settings page. I think because the thing lasts so long on one charge and that people would charge it before it got empty is why they didn't bother theming it for the Kindle.

The settings can be accessed at the bottom where the menu bar is. It's the button next to the arrow that looks like a piece of paper with lines. That is universal for every app keep that in mind.

Quick settings, (ex. device info, brightness) is the little circle button next to the Wifi icon.

App downloads can take a bit to download for whatever odd reason like the server being overloaded or the internet connection timing out. I have this happen a lot on my iPhone. It's a problem with the internet in general. A simple reboot of the device can usually fix that.

Read the KF's user guide: http://kindle-fire-updates.s3.amazon...User_Guide.pdf It will help you understand the device a lot better and covers the UI very well.

It also comes preinstalled on your Fire if you need to reference it later.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:27 AM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoFriend View Post
ETA Update:
Just finished "chatting" with support and the end result is they're sending me a replacement.
Sounds like they left the 'furbish' out of your unit and just re-sent a defective one.

Glad it's sorted out.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:00 AM   #4
GeckoFriend
Guru
GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Sounds like they left the 'furbish' out of your unit and just re-sent a defective one.

Glad it's sorted out.
Yes, I think this sums it up nicely.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:09 AM   #5
GeckoFriend
Guru

@ Jessica Lares

Thanks for the response. The battery indicator that doesn't work is the icon on the status bar. Even when fully charged it is empty. I couldn't access Device in Settings to confirm the battery was charged until after a factory reset.

Usually when I download something to my PC and it times out for any reason I get a message saying so. Does the Fire not give any notification?

Any clue why the "Call Me" function did not work?

Bottom line is I'll play with this one until the new one arrives and hope the touch screen is much more responsive.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:21 AM   #6
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
That is so unfortunate and such a bad experience for a new user.

Karma for that.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:31 AM   #7
GeckoFriend
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
That is so unfortunate and such a bad experience for a new user.

Karma for that.
Thanks Kenny. It certainly doesn't make me rave about Kindles
Old 05-09-2012, 01:00 PM   #8
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
A quick way to contact customer service is by calling 1-866-321-8851. When you get the recording, hit 5.

Amazon CS is excellent, and I think if you ask for a replacement for your refurb, they will quickly do so.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:16 PM   #9
GeckoFriend
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlondikeGeoff View Post
A quick way to contact customer service is by calling 1-866-321-8851. When you get the recording, hit 5.

Amazon CS is excellent, and I think if you ask for a replacement for your refurb, they will quickly do so.
Replacement due to arrive Friday.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:51 PM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I use this app to keep track of my battery. It puts the percentage in the notifications area.

It does sound like you got a lemon. Hopefully the next one will work fine. Amazon is great about replacing problem Kindles. My first Fire after a firmware update wouldn't go past the start logo. I called Kindle support and the next day I had a new one in my hands. I am much more careful now what I put on my KF. I've had no problems with it. It's not so much a Kindle thing but Android devices specially tablets are finicky.

I once bought a Coby tablet and it was defective from the time I turned it on. The battery gauge went up and down like a yo-yo. I sent it back to Amazon and got my Kindle Fire instead.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:14 PM   #11
GeckoFriend
Guru

@Blossom,

I did download the free version of Badass Battery Monitor and added it to Favorites but I don't find it as intuitive as I hoped. I'm sure the pro version is better but I'll wait for a fully working Fire before I actually pay for any apps. I think I've downloaded the free version of all the apps I'll need for awhile, even sideloaded a couple.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:19 PM   #12
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
@Blossom,

I did download the free version of Badass Battery Monitor and added it to Favorites but I don't find it as intuitive as I hoped. I'm sure the pro version is better but I'll wait for a fully working Fire before I actually pay for any apps. I think I've downloaded the free version of all the apps I'll need for awhile, even sideloaded a couple.

Thanks again for your help.
The free version is not really compatible with the Kindle Fire. The $1.99 app I linked to works great. There's even a extra icon pak you can purchase to add to it that will replace the battery gauge with the percentage of the battery. The app sucker part of the app will tell you what apps use most of the battery and it will also tell you how many hours you have left. It takes a few charges for it to be really accurate but it works great.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:40 PM   #13
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Replacement due to arrive Friday.
So sorry this has happened but, honestly, it is indeed the exception and not the rule. Amazon's customer service is absolutely top-notch and they will make it right so that you will be enjoying your new Fire as soon as possible.

I also can add to the recommendation for the BB Monitor for the Fire. It's a must-have app and well worth the price.

Enjoy your new Fire and report back when it arrives!
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:55 PM   #14
GeckoFriend
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
The free version is not really compatible with the Kindle Fire..........
That's interesting; Amazon shows it as compatible. I think I'll forget about trying to configure it better and just wait to buy the pro version and icon pack.

@Skydog
Thanks for the support; I'm crossing my fingers that everything works on the next one.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:36 AM   #15
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
I did download the free version of Badass Battery Monitor and added it to Favorites but I don't find it as intuitive as I hoped.
I use the free version on my Galaxy Players and it works great for me.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote