Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > BeBook

Notices

Old 04-16-2011, 08:48 PM   #1
jorlin
jorlin began at the beginning.

Device: Bebook Club
Question Bebook Club: No Japanese chars after update to Firmware 1.5.120110224

Dear forum members,
I've bought a new Bebook Club (Hanlin V3) last week.
When I bought the device it was furnished with Firmware 1.420100625
I was delighted that I could read my Japanese ePub files on it, something no other reader in that store managed to do.
BTW, all my files are on SD, not the internal memory.
At home I excitedly followed the instructions and surfed to mybebook.com to download the latest firmware, which would have .cbz-support and greater battery life.
Needless to say I checked to see if I there were any files on the internal memory, so that I might make a backup before upgrading the firmware.
No files were visible, so I went ahead with the upgrade (marked MARCH2011)
Sure enough, after the upgrade my .cbz-manga's were readable

A sad by-effect of the upgrade however was that my Japanese ePub-files became unreadable, showing only placeholders, shown as diagonally crossed rectangles where the Japanese symbol had been using Firmware 1.420100625
Because I'm learning Japanese right now, I need the ability to read Japanese files. I would gladly downgrade to get that back.
A support request to the Bebook support team, was quickly answered with:
-----------------
Unfortunately we do not have a link to the first version available online. We ask you to be patient and to wait for the next update that should be launched soon.
-----------------

1- Does anyone have a solution for this problem using the current firmware?
(I'm a Linux guy who is quite comfortable with editing config. files and alike)
2- Does anyone here on the forum still have the old 1.420100625 firmware, or another firmware that allows one to read Japanese ePubs?
See:
This freely downloadable sample JP ePub to check if it will work.

On a sidenote:
The latest V3 firmware update from Hanlin itself, dating 2009-11-24, clearly states that:
"2.This version does not support PDF files in Chinese, Japanese and Korean."
It says nothing about ePub files, still this development is worrying.

--
Thanks in advance,

jorlin
jorlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:11 AM   #2
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
The BeBook Club is not a Hanlin Model, it is made by Onyx. Which model do you have?
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:59 AM   #3
jorlin

Stormchild, thanks for your reply!

On the BeBook Club Box I find the code BE-115, do you mean that with the "model"?
If not, how can I find out what the model code really is?
It is described on this page
I'm a bit confused, as your "Device"field shows that you also own a BeBook Club.
The BeBook Neo looks exactly like the Onyx, whereas the Bebook Club does not...
So the Bebook Club belongs to the Onyx family as well?
What does this mean in terms of firmware compatibility across devices?

--

Kind Regards,

jorlin
Old 04-17-2011, 10:06 AM   #4
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorlin View Post
Stormchild, thanks for your reply!

On the BeBook Club Box I find the code BE-115, do you mean that with the "model"?
If not, how can I find out what the model code really is?
It is described on this page
I'm a bit confused, as your "Device"field shows that you also own a BeBook Club.
The BeBook Neo looks exactly like the Onyx, whereas the Bebook Club does not...
So the Bebook Club belongs to the Onyx family as well?
What does this mean in terms of firmware compatibility across devices?

--

Kind Regards,

jorlin

I used to have a V5...sold to a friend. You can read PDFs in Japanese on a V5 and probably a V3.... did you have the correct Font?MS Mincho is quite popular.... Studied Japanese on my V5 with no problem.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:40 AM   #5
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Have a look here http://booxusers.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=746 and tell me if yours looks like the black one only in white.

EDITED. Just notice your link. Yes that is an Onyx not a Hanlin. Go to my link and have a look around that forum. They have a whole section on firmware development and many links to other firmwares that might help you out. Make a note that your model is the X60S.

Last edited by Stormchild; 04-17-2011 at 10:44 AM.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:17 PM   #6
jorlin

@hidari-san,

Thanks for your reply; good to have an answer from a native Japanese person.
どもありがとう
I have the following Fonts installed:
------------------------------
*Adobe Heiti Std.
*Adobe Ming std.
Adobe Myungjo std.
*Bitstream Vera Sans, Sams Mono, Serif
Courier Std.
*Dejavu Sans, Sans Mono, Serif
Minion Pro
Myriad Pro
*Ryo Gothic PlusN
Symbol Std.
I believe that the fonts marked with an asterisk(*) above all have support for Japanese. I am not sure about Minion/ Myriad, they might also include kana and/ or kanji.
There's one problem though, no matter how many fonts I'll install, this list only seems to represent fonts selectable for menu use, not for ePub/ PDF use.
I might try updating again with MS Mincho included, provided that I can find it.
A working V5 or V3 fro Japanese does not seem to be related to my device as Stormchild pointed out that it is from the same family as the Onyx.

@Stormchild:
Thanks for finding out that the Onyx X60S and Bebook Club are of the same family.

--

Kind Regards,

jorlin

Last edited by jorlin; 04-17-2011 at 01:21 PM.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:51 AM   #7
Stormchild
Evangelist

Quote:
There's one problem though, no matter how many fonts I'll install, this list only seems to represent fonts selectable for menu use, not for ePub/ PDF use.
I
jorlin
Unfortunately it is not possible to user select the font for Epub/PDF without recoding the books. Well not easily. The firmware uses Adobe Reader which prevents this. There are alternatives but the simple answer is get your books already in Japanese or use another format.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:57 AM   #8
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Moderator Notice
Moved to BeBook sub-forum

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:57 PM   #9
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post
Unfortunately it is not possible to user select the font for Epub/PDF without recoding the books. Well not easily. The firmware uses Adobe Reader which prevents this. There are alternatives but the simple answer is get your books already in Japanese or use another format.
Not quite true. On the Bebook Club you can select to open Epubs in FBReader, and then you can select fonts (although for some reason this does not work for all epubs). And it's also very easy to convert epubs for instance to mobi or fb2, formats which are always opened in FBReader and which always allow you to select a font.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 05:03 AM   #10
Stormchild
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetmolm View Post
Not quite true. On the Bebook Club you can select to open Epubs in FBReader, and then you can select fonts (although for some reason this does not work for all epubs). And it's also very easy to convert epubs for instance to mobi or fb2, formats which are always opened in FBReader and which always allow you to select a font.
On the latest BeBook firmware, which the OP is most likely to have, that option is no longer available.

Last edited by DaleDe; 04-20-2011 at 12:56 PM. Reason: fixed endquote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:57 PM   #11
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Quote:
On the latest BeBook firmware, which the OP is most likely to have, that option is no longer available.
Ah, didn't know that. Need to check that on my wife's Club. But then the option more than likely to come back in the next version. All recent Onyx firmware versions have it, as far as I know.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:50 AM   #12
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Not a native..just a gauche gaijin in the upper wilderness of Japan.... Snow is finally melted and a balmy +5C on my bike ride home tonite...Wife if Japanese...but I study Japanese on My OPUS these days..>Sold my PP to a mate here in Hokkaido... Happy reading on on your Bebook Mini....Amazing machine............even with the flaws....

Quote:
@hidari-san,

Thanks for your reply; good to have an answer from a native Japanese person.
どもありがとう
I have the following Fonts installed:
*Adobe Heiti Std.
*Adobe Ming std.
Adobe Myungjo std.
*Bitstream Vera Sans, Sams Mono, Serif
Courier Std.
*Dejavu Sans, Sans Mono, Serif
Minion Pro
Myriad Pro
*Ryo Gothic PlusN
Symbol Std.
I believe that the fonts marked with an asterisk(*) above all have support for Japanese. I am not sure about Minion/ Myriad, they might also include kana and/ or kanji.
I might try updating again with MS Mincho included, provided that I can find it.
A working V5 or V3 fro Japanese does not seem to be related to my device as Stormchild pointed out that it is from the same family as the Onyx.

@Stormchild:
Thanks for finding out that the Onyx X60S and Bebook Club are of the same family.

--

Kind Regards,

jorlin
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:22 PM   #13
jorlin

Thumbs up

First of all: Thanks for all the helpful replies.
I already feel at home in this forum, even though I have just joined.
Thanks to Zetmolm I now have a useful workaround

Quote:
The link I have included in my First post points to a Japanese ePub, as does the freely available A Japanese guide to Japanese grammar
, so I am afraid that answer doesn't describe a solution, thanks for the suggestion and thinking with me though.

@Zetmolm:
Forcing fbreader on it by converting it into .fb2 or .mobi format?
Hmm, interesting suggestion, result(conversion through Calibre):
tae-kim:
-mobi: works!
-fb2: works!
e-pub-sample:
-mobi: works!
-fb2: works!
Note that in the tae-kim document tables are messed up in both mobi and fb2-format.
The table works fine in the original ePub, apart from the slight inconvenience that all the characters are missing...
nevertheless, so much for this!
I guess I was too stubborn to forsake my favorite file-format.
You helped me over that hump.

So what it boils down to is this:
The regression is fortunately limited to ePub format only, which means that I can take advantage of the better battery life and .cbz-support, while still being able to read my JP books after conversion.
I can live with that just fine, while waiting for the firmware version that will fix this.

I'll post this workaround on all the forums that I've queried so far, so that other students of Japanese might benefit from this :-)

@hidari-san:
>I might try updating again with MS Mincho included
The basic flaw of both these test-files might be that they assumed the presence of MS Mincho, while omitting a more general fallback solution to font family instead.
I might look into this once I delve deeper in the structure of the ePub-format.
During a quick search through all the files contained in the ePub, I could not find any explicit reference to MS Mincho. Still, I might have missed something. Any pointers are welcome.

--

Kind Regards,

jorlin

Last edited by jorlin; 04-21-2011 at 09:59 PM.

Tags
bebook, firmware, hanlin, japanese, v.3