Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-13-2010, 11:35 PM   #1
Smalis
Smalis began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Add bookshelf view?

First, thank you, thank you for the ability to create custom columns - I have always wanted a yes/no column for whether I have read a book or not.

2nd, I have always liked the bookshelf views of reader programs such as Adobe Digital Editions - for example:

Could such a browser be added to Calibre, with different size options for the book covers? I find that view much more useful than the current cover browser view.

Thanks!
Smalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:03 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalis View Post
Could such a browser be added to Calibre, with different size options for the book covers? I find that view much more useful than the current cover browser view.
Kovid has stated that this is somewhere on his ever growing To Do list. I like this view also, but I don't see how it is "more useful" then the current cover browser/book list combination. I guess I'd have to use it a while to see which would work best for me.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 09-27-2010 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Quotes added
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2010, 08:09 AM   #3
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Kovid has stated that this is somewhere on his ever growing To Do list. I like this view also, but I don't see how it is more useful then the current cover browser/book list combination. I guess I'd have to use it a while to see which would work best for me.
It would provide an at a glance view of more covers than calibre's current cover views. Many people, when searching for a books vaguely sticking in their memory, more often remember how the cover looked than the actual title or author. This kind of a view of one's books could be faster for manual searches in that kind of a situation (personally, it wouldn't be of much use to me that way). Others may want a flashy display of their books, sort of a cyber books on the wall display to impress people with. An auto page turn option, like a slide show, would be useful here (again, I would have little use for something like that but then, I'm not everyone).
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:12 AM   #4
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
+1 for this concept. It's about the only thing I like about ADE ....
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 02:31 PM   #5
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Love this idea, as well. I was disappointed when I found it hadn't already been implemented, after a stray remark Kovid posted back in ... I think it was March? While I realize Kovid's "to do" list probably rivals the to do list equivalent of the Empire State Building, ... it'd be REALLY nice to have it as an option.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2010, 08:31 PM   #6
Kaitou Ace
Zealot
Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just wanted to add that I would love having this view also, I often remember a cover and not a book title, but I don't know how many other people have that issue.
Kaitou Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:30 PM   #7
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
I must be the only one who hates the bookshelf view paradigm that has taken over. Do you line up your paper books with the cover facing out on bookshelves? No, you line them up with the spine facing out so you can read the title and author easily. Doing it the other way takes up too much space.

In the digital realm of ebooks, at least for me covers are much less important. I see the cover once when I first open a book to read it and then never again, unlike a paper book where I see the cover every time I pick it up. I'm much less likely to associate a specific cover with an ebook than I am the title or author.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 11:39 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddos View Post
I must be the only one who hates the bookshelf view paradigm that has taken over. Do you line up your paper books with the cover facing out on bookshelves? No, you line them up with the spine facing out so you can read the title and author easily. Doing it the other way takes up too much space.

In the digital realm of ebooks, at least for me covers are much less important. I see the cover once when I first open a book to read it and then never again, unlike a paper book where I see the cover every time I pick it up. I'm much less likely to associate a specific cover with an ebook than I am the title or author.
I am with you. Bookshelf view is a "Selling Tool".

Use the cover browser, It lets you see parts of the adjoining covers.

You can also click on the Book Browser window and see a larger cover and the Summary, Scrolling is provided.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:27 AM   #9
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddos View Post

I also do not have any use for a bookshelf view. I don't even like to view books on a shelf with the spine out. It's too hard on this old lady's neck! A list I like!
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:46 AM   #10
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I think you could achieve the same thing by saving books to a single directory and dragging them to ADE.

I find calibre's cover browser more than adequate and wish that more space was allocated for the comment section. I like the pretty shiny covers but don't actually find them useful.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:08 AM   #11
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
When people talk about a "bookshelf" view I think they really mean a grid view with the cover fully visible (as used in something like iBooks). I find this works very well as long as the number of books is not too large, but it tends to become cumbersome as the number grows. As a result I find it tends to work quite well on the reading device, but not on the main library.

What might be nice to have is a variant of the list view with a column for thumbnails added. However although this might look nice and be usable from a user perspective I think it may have unacceptable performance implications unless a very sophisticated method is used to populate the thumbnail column.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:20 AM   #12
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
As long as the book list will be available as it is today, I don't care either way. I've switched cover flow on once, found it very nice and pretty, and switched it off never to be used again. Same with bookshelf view, I guess.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:54 AM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
As I've said before, it's on the TODO list and for those of you that dont like it, it will be optional
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:06 PM   #14
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
As I've said before, it's on the TODO list and for those of you that dont like it, it will be optional
For Pete's sake Kovid, make up your mind. Everything in this program is optional, for once try committing to something.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:39 PM   #15
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
For Pete's sake Kovid, make up your mind. Everything in this program is optional, for once try committing to something.
He did... the database and folder structure!
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote