Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Non-English Discussions > Forum Français > Assistance

Notices

Old 07-31-2016, 02:36 AM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Yet more help with French, please

I'm preparing Notre-Dame de Paris by Victor Hugo in the translation by Isabel F. Hapgood for the MobileRead library. There are several occasions in which 'Noel!' is used, and several other occasions in which 'Noël!' (with an umlaut over the e) is used.

Are these two different words?

If they are the same word should it have the umlaut, or not?

What does it mean anyway? In an English speaking culture the word relates to Christmas, but in the 15th century French setting it has nothing to do with Christmas.

Thanks in advance.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 09:42 AM   #2
bernard.ryefield
Connoisseur
bernard.ryefield does all things with Zen-like beautybernard.ryefield does all things with Zen-like beautybernard.ryefield does all things with Zen-like beautybernard.ryefield does all things with Zen-like beautybernard.ryefield does all things with Zen-like beautybernard.ryefield does all things with Zen-like beautybernard.ryefield does all things with Zen-like beautybernard.ryefield does all things with Zen-like beautybernard.ryefield does all things with Zen-like beautybernard.ryefield does all things with Zen-like beautybernard.ryefield does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Desktop, Kindle Desktop, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
I'm preparing Notre-Dame de Paris by Victor Hugo in the translation by Isabel F. Hapgood for the MobileRead library. There are several occasions in which 'Noel!' is used, and several other occasions in which 'Noël!' (with an umlaut over the e) is used.

Are these two different words?

If they are the same word should it have the umlaut, or not?

What does it mean anyway? In an English speaking culture the word relates to Christmas, but in the 15th century French setting it has nothing to do with Christmas.

Thanks in advance.
Only Noël is correct nowadays (with the e tréma, not related to the german Umlaut). There are multiple meanings to this word:
  • Christmas
  • gift for Christmas
  • a Christmas carol
  • a male first name (used at least once in Notre Dame de Paris)

The other instances of this word refer to Christmas or a Christmas carol (maybe also a nativity scene, today called a crèche de Noël)

Last edited by bernard.ryefield; 08-01-2016 at 02:13 PM.
bernard.ryefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 09:41 PM   #3
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernard.ryefield View Post
Only Noël is correct nowadays (with the e tréma, not related to the german Umlaut). There are multiple meanings to this word:
  • Christmas
  • gift for Christmas
  • a Christmas carol
  • a male first name (used at least once in Notre Dame de Paris)

The other instances of this word refer to Christmas or a Christmas carol (maybe also a nativity scene, today called a crèche de Noël)
Merci, Bernard. I haven't got to the character by that name yet. And none of occasions where it's used in the book have anything to do with Christmas - though some of them are in the winter time. So I'm still confused.
Old 08-02-2016, 11:33 AM   #4
Arios
A curiosus lector!
Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Touch
Hi Alex and Bernard,

From an orthographic point of view Bernard is right: according many sites the word must always be written «Noël» with the tréma regardless of its meaning.

However, Noël that is mainly connected to the feast of Jesus birth, may also be the first name (prénom in French) of a man, as in the novel, Noël = first name Lescrivain = last name.

When people scream: "Noël! Noël!" it is an acclamation, if I'm not mistaken. (I have no time to re-read the novel, so if someone can validate!)

Alex, Gallica has online many versions of the novel. Personally I prefer the one from 1865 (illustrated), but there are also the 1831 one. The consultation of one of them could perhaps clarify some typographical things about the intentions of Hugo, who knows?

1) The 1865 edition: http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt...e%20de%20Paris

2) The first edition (1831):
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt...e%20de%20Paris

Last edited by Arios; 08-02-2016 at 04:13 PM.
Arios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:28 AM   #5
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arios View Post
Hi Alex and Bernard,

From an orthographic point of view Bernard is right: according many sites the word must always be written «Noël» with the tréma regardless of its meaning.

However, Noël that is mainly connected to the feast of Jesus birth, may also be the first name (prénom in French) of a man, as in the novel, Noël = first name Lescrivain = last name.

When people scream: "Noël! Noël!" it is an acclamation, if I'm not mistaken. (I have no time to re-read the novel, so if someone can validate!)

Alex, Gallica has online many versions of the novel. Personally I prefer the one from 1865 (illustrated), but there are also the 1831 one. The consultation of one of them could perhaps clarify some typographical things about the intentions of Hugo, who knows?

1) The 1865 edition: http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt...e%20de%20Paris

2) The first edition (1831):
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt...e%20de%20Paris
Thanks again, Arios

Since I first posted I've come across a definition of 'Noël!' as the French form of the English 'Hurrah'. That seems to fit.

Thanks for the reference to Gallica; I may have just enough French left to be able to make my way around, and check typos. I'll try it out.
Old 08-03-2016, 11:55 AM   #6
Arios
A curiosus lector!
Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Touch
It is to me to thank you Alex!

In delving a bit, I have found many interesting information about Christmas (particularly at medieval times) and it would certainly be a fascinating historical research to do, but already done no doubt!

You have certainly the right answer for "Noël! Noël!" meaning Hurrah.

References to the French versions: it was simply for the format, the look. One possible source of inspiration for your ebook?

Have a nice week Alex.
Arios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 01:53 AM   #7
AlexBell
Wizard

More help please: One of the vagabond/truand characters is called in the English text

'king of Thunes, grand Coësre' What does that mean? I can't find it on the internet or in my Penguin dictionary. The text I'm working from has many typos, so it may be coesre
Old 08-09-2016, 07:36 AM   #8
septentrion
Addict
septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.septentrion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2014, Kindle Voyage and Kindle Oasis 2
king of thunes = king of beggars
Source: Littré dictionary, a French dictionary of the 19th Century http://www.littre.org/definition/thune

le grand Coësre is more or less a synonym of king of thunes
https://fr.wiktionary.org/wiki/co%C3%ABsre
septentrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 12:45 AM   #9
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by septentrion View Post
king of thunes = king of beggars
Source: Littré dictionary, a French dictionary of the 19th Century http://www.littre.org/definition/thune

le grand Coësre is more or less a synonym of king of thunes
https://fr.wiktionary.org/wiki/co%C3%ABsre
Thanks, that's most helpful.