Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-06-2010, 12:11 PM   #1
wher7118
wher7118 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Kobo can't read my ebooks

Hi All,

I don't know if some of you guys have experienced the same problem with mine. I just got my Kobo and start having the problem on it. My Kobo can not read the files that I added. The files appeared in the window explorer but did not appear at the Kobo library as I unplug from PC. I used different methods to add my personal ebooks to Kobo from drag and drops in windows explorer, using Calibre latest version (7.0.0) and ADE, but none were successful. The file size shown in Calibre indicated that the books were there, but it did not appear in my Kobo library. The amount of the books in the Kobo library also did not increase, it still 100. It also can not read the SD card and pdf file which is supposed to be located in Documents tab.

I ordered two Kobo on line and about to return the product now and has already processed to cancel the other one.

Thanks in advance
wher7118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 03:02 PM   #2
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
With respect, you must be missing a step.

Kobo e-books (that's ePub format, right?) transfer easily using ADE or sync with the desktop software that comes with the device for titles purchased from Kobo. I've had no trouble transferring ePub library books to the Kobo using the ADE software.

There is never any need to drag and drop files directly onto the device using Windows Explorer.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2010, 08:16 PM   #3
artificial
Groupie
artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kobo eReader
@wher7118 - you might need to tell us more. Are your files ePub format or PDF? (Those are the only two formats the Kobo Reader can display). Are they DRM protected ePubs, or unprotected?
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 08:41 PM   #4
wher7118

The files are in PDF and ePub format. I tried both. I am not sure whether the files are protected, maybe not, since I can open it in my laptop using ADE, Stanza or Acrobat reader.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:00 PM   #5
wher7118

@SensualPoet, I have tried using ADE. ADE can read the content of my Kobo properly; what I did is just dragged the files in ADE onto the Kobo icon in the left hand side of the panel. Not sure whether this is the proper way to 'sync' what's in ADE with Kobo. However, since ADE can read the content of my Kobo, I assumed that the copying process had been successful.

The problem is the Kobo reader itself can not read its own content.
Advert
Old 06-06-2010, 09:02 PM   #6
artificial
Groupie
artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.

It does sound fishy. I thought perhaps you were just trying to add books in a non-compatible format (mobi, lrf, txt or something).

The only other thing I can suggest is that one of your books/files is corrupt and that is causing the Kobo to 'choke'. Remove all the books you have put on the Kobo, and just copy one book to the device. Don't put it on your SD card, just put it at the root level of your Kobo. If that books appears in your library then you know it's one of the other books that is the problem.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:15 PM   #7
wher7118

Hi artificial, I've tried that one too. Even I removed all the preloaded books and tried to input several books or only one book just to figure out what the problem is. I tried also the books that come from different sources, but none seemed to work well. The Kobo just said no books detected or something. However, once I put back the preloaded books (sqlite file or something), those pre loaded books reappeared without having a problem, makes me wonder what sort of the file they are? they are not epub or pdf files. Apart from that, Kobo should be able to read epub and pdf, rights?
Old 06-06-2010, 09:31 PM   #8
artificial
Groupie

Well in that case it sounds like a fault with the device

Unless someone else has another suggestion.

The only other thing I can think of, and this is a long shot, but try running 'sync' in the Kobo desktop application. I personally don't use the desktop software, but I did run it when I first set up my Kobo Reader - maybe that is an important step to get your kobo working?
Old 06-06-2010, 09:49 PM   #9
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
The only other thing I can think of, and this is a long shot, but try running 'sync' in the Kobo desktop application.
This is a good suggestion. The sync seems to reset the dbase data pretaining to epub files, forcing a reprocess afterwards... might work.

If it doesn't work, copy the database file to your PC and then delete it from the device. Unplug and then reconnect the Kobo. Then do another sync. This will at least eliminate the possibility of a corrupt database.

If you're next step is exchanging the device, might as well go gung-ho first

Last edited by Stinger; 06-06-2010 at 10:58 PM.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:52 PM   #10
artificial
Groupie

One other thing occurs to me - you could try a factory reset (poke a paper clip into the small hole in the rear of your Kobo).

EDIT: Read Stinger's post below for correct way to do a factory reset.

Last edited by artificial; 06-06-2010 at 10:34 PM.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:55 PM   #11
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by artificial View Post
One other thing occurs to me - you could try a factory reset (poke a paper clip into the small hole in the rear of your Kobo).
That's actually just a hard-reboot Arti (the button on the back). I don't think anything is really reset, the system is just retarded/rebooted.
He might have more luck with the "Restore Factory Defaults" option from the menu however.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 10:56 PM   #12
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by wher7118 View Post
Even I removed all the preloaded books and tried to input several books or only one book just to figure out what the problem is. I tried also the books that come from different sources, but none seemed to work well. The Kobo just said no books detected or something. However, once I put back the preloaded books (sqlite file or something), those pre loaded books reappeared without having a problem, makes me wonder what sort of the file they are?
You removed all the pre-loaded books and, later, put back "sqlite file or something"? That sounds like major surgery and certainly not using the desktop application to sync with your library on Kobo or using ADE to manage the collection of non-Kobo files on your e-reader.

The factory reset option is worth a try. You'll find it by turning on the device, clicking the menu button, scrolling to settings, and scrolling to advanced: click "reset device now".

BTW, what did Kobo tech support suggest? Perhaps you just need to swap for a brand new unit with virgin software active.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:36 AM   #13
wher7118

I have done all of your suggestion guys, but my Kobo still has the same problem. Just can't get it, how come it can not read its own content while ADE and Calibre can. Most likely there is a fault, so I will return it to the supplier.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:09 AM   #14
Aimon
Aimon began at the beginning.

I just bought my Kobo, and had similar problems (in uploading files).
However, I fixed the problem by dumping new files onto the root directory of the Kobo in Windows Explorer. As well as the EPUB file, I had to load on an associated JPEG file and OPF file (which came with the EPUB file). It seemed that the Kobo wouldn't just read the EPUB file without these other associated files.
While I can't verify it, I read somewhere that it seems to be that the OPF file tells the kobo what the EPUB file is, and how to read it, etc (although I could be completely wrong with this). Either way, dumping on the OPF and JPEG files worked for me.
Aimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:14 AM   #15
wher7118

Aimon, I just tried it, it didn't work in my Kobo. Thanks for your sharing though.