Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-16-2009, 02:52 AM   #1
Book Worm
Enthusiast
Book Worm doesn't litterBook Worm doesn't litterBook Worm doesn't litter

Device: Sony e Reader 505 *BLUE*
Post Sony's free 100 classics..... What to pick.....

Ok... I have 100 free books to pick from Sony's "classic" section.

Anyone have some good picks from there?

All ideas welcome!

Book Worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:02 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Don't bother. All are available for download right here on MR in MUCH nicer versions.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2009, 03:39 AM   #3
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
Hi Book Worm. Have you looked at the Guardian's recent "1000 novels everyone must read" list? It might be a good place for you to start looking for Sony classics to download if you're looking for suggestions. The list is divided into different categories. Here's the link:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/series/1000novels
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 04:17 AM   #4
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Look at the top of this page for the link E-books.
All ot the "free" ebooks that Sony offers are also here. They are much better formated and really free. And much more numerous ;-)
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 07:27 AM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Worm View Post

All ideas welcome!

Many of the books are indeed available here on MobileRead. (I'm not certain, actually, if all of them are, as my friend Harry states.) Some of us here are responsible for assembling them and making them available on MobileRead, as these titles are in the public domain.

In particular, you should look at Charles Dickens, Balzac, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Anthonly Trollope - just to name a few. The list is amazing and is growing by leaps and bounds.

Enjoy your ebook reader!

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2009, 08:32 AM   #6
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Book Worm- I actually like the Sony classic version (I love the giant margins), but since there is so much available here, you don't have to worry if you use them up. If you need somewhere to start and also hate yourself, you can try the list I put in excel from the book "1001 books to read before you die." See the link in my sig.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:47 AM   #7
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I never did download all my free Sony classics, I got a few and saw the crappy quality of them and forget about getting anymore.
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:54 AM   #8
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:

All ideas welcome!

No but I have a great pick from here....

Sherlock Holmes Omnibus.

Please download one of yours, and then one of ours.

Compare the formatting, and read quality.

Let us know your thoughts.........good or bad!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:11 PM   #9
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Book Worm- I actually like the Sony classic version (I love the giant margins), but since there is so much available here, you don't have to worry if you use them up. If you need somewhere to start and also hate yourself, you can try the list I put in excel from the book "1001 books to read before you die." See the link in my sig.
All right, Missy, I'm calling you out. It's been saying that your next book is A Modest Proposal for a while now. Get your nose into that book, Missy!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 01:15 PM   #10
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
All right, Missy, I'm calling you out. It's been saying that your next book is A Modest Proposal for a while now. Get your nose into that book, Missy!
But I dun wanna!!!
Old 02-16-2009, 01:43 PM   #11
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
But I dun wanna!!!
oh trust us, it's brilliant. seriously.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 01:48 PM   #12
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
oh trust us, it's brilliant. seriously.
It'll be the next classic I read, I promise

I just don't know when that'll be
Old 02-16-2009, 01:52 PM   #13
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
It'll be the next classic I read, I promise

I just don't know when that'll be
list overload, perhaps ? maybe you should pace yourself.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 02:01 PM   #14
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
list overload, perhaps ? maybe you should pace yourself.
I just keep buying books...can't....stop...
Old 02-16-2009, 03:02 PM   #15
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
Quote:

All ideas welcome!

Out of Sony's selection of classics, I liked the Charlotte Yonge books. Her style is along the same lines as Bronte and Austen.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote