Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-18-2008, 09:14 AM   #91
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
oddly enough, this is the ad i get on the bottom of this page :

Attachment 18007

i'm not sure what it means, but probably it's a sort of general, universal warning to be kind to humans and other animals whatever their size, and never never mention killing anything ever again ever for your whole lives, at least in my presence or anywhere i might happen to pass by.

Bottom of my page is for Weight Loss !!!

Fat chance .....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:19 AM   #92
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
oddly enough, this is the ad i get on the bottom of this page :

Attachment 18007

i'm not sure what it means, but probably it's a sort of general, universal warning to be kind to humans and other animals whatever their size, and never never mention killing anything ever again ever for your whole lives, at least in my presence or anywhere i might happen to pass by.
Do plants count?
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2008, 10:22 AM   #93
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
And I still get an ad for ringtones. (Ringing in the ear?)
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:40 AM   #94
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
I put live Cane Toads in a plastic bag in the freezer. Does that make me good or bad?

(Honestly, it's considered by "authorities" to be the most "humane" way of killing the introduced pest)

Cheers,
Marc
I'm not certain the words "humane" and "killing" ever belong in the same sentence. Probably not even in the same concept.

And, just curious how they would know. Shall we assume that several of them have frozen to death .... and lived to talk about it??? Does anyone else see a logic problem there??
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:03 PM   #95
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
It goes...

"I'm a Barbie girl in the Barbie world
Life in plastic, it's fantastic
You can brush my hair, undress me everywhere
Imagination, life is your creation..."

There's even a video!
My first thought was "that is just wrong," but then I saw this one:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
Maybe VR's human could build him one of these for Christmas and he can play catch.

Disclaimer: Barcey does not condone the making of this video. Beer and engineering should not be mixed.
And it put the barbie thing in perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
You're in a minority of 3 now. I am telling myself the same thing, too.
I don't approve either, but it's not really out of concern for the squirrel -- the little buggers are pretty tough and weigh very little. If it didn't catch itself on a handy tree limb it probably just hit the ground, rolled a few times and developed a mortal fear of pasta strainers.

Quote:
A catapult you (and VR) might approve of more...

I'd love to build something like that for one of my dogs -- he'll litterally chase a ball 'till he keels over if you let him. But he's such a ninny he'd be scared of the ruddy thing.

Quote:
(squirrels sound like chickens ? that's just weird.)
You should hear some of their other sounds. There's one that's kind of a wheezing squawk -- took me years to figure out it was squirrels making the sound, but I finally spotted one while he was doing it. Their whole bodies swell up like they're trying to breath in a whole baloon and then they cut loose with this indescribable sound. It's just a bit creepy to see, actually.

Actually, here's a small collection of squirrel sounds, the one I'm describing is the first one on the list (over on the right).
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2008, 01:11 PM   #96
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
I'm not certain the words "humane" and "killing" ever belong in the same sentence. Probably not even in the same concept.
Well, I think we're all likely to agree that killing can be done in a slow, painful, lingering way which would obviously qualify as "inhumane."

From that context, anything that's painless or at least quick could be considered at least relatively humane.

The very few things I've had to kill, I've tried to be quick about it ... except of course for the spawn of demons known as roaches. Actually ... I s'pose I'm quick with them too, but it's only 'case the faster they're dead the better, not out of any sense of sympathy for the vile things.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:27 PM   #97
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
one really wonders the definition of humane ... after what we are capable of doing to one another

- never mind the 4-legged species !!!!
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:47 PM   #98
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I don't approve either, but it's not really out of concern for the squirrel -- the little buggers are pretty tough and weigh very little. If it didn't catch itself on a handy tree limb it probably just hit the ground, rolled a few times and developed a mortal fear of pasta strainers.
i'm going to believe you're right about that because it makes me feel better.
Quote:
You should hear some of their other sounds. There's one that's kind of a wheezing squawk -- took me years to figure out it was squirrels making the sound, but I finally spotted one while he was doing it. Their whole bodies swell up like they're trying to breath in a whole baloon and then they cut loose with this indescribable sound. It's just a bit creepy to see, actually.

Actually, here's a small collection of squirrel sounds, the one I'm describing is the first one on the list (over on the right).
heh. well now i'm sure they're planning to take over the world. any creature that makes that many different (weird) sounds has got to be up to something.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 02:55 PM   #99
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
i'm going to believe you're right about that because it makes me feel better.
I'm pretty confident of it, I wouldn't have said it if I weren't, of course, but I've watched the rascals quite a lot over the years. Pity we don't seem to have enough trees close enough to our house for them to visit us presently, though we do get yard bunnies from time to time. The wife and I have discussed planting ornamental cabbages to attract them more, but I digress.

Squirrels seem to be pretty tough for their size, I've seen them fall fairly far out of trees (it's bound to happen occasionally, as much time as they spend up there) and pop back up and run off with no more than a shake of the head to clear the ringing. I think it's a function of not weighing much and having a fairly efficient physical/muscular structure. And that doesn't even take into account their evil super-powers.

Quote:
heh. well now i'm sure they're planning to take over the world. any creature that makes that many different (weird) sounds has got to be up to something.
Well, do note that there are several different species represented in that list, it's not like all squirrels can make all those noises. But I'm sure that they manage to communicate well enough for their global domination conspiring purposes.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:08 PM   #100
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
I was sent a link to that video because a squirrel fell jumping from the top of a telephone pole to a tree and almost him my dog on the head. He fell about 20ft and landed flat on his back and bounced up and ran straight up the tree before my dog knew what happened. My dog still looks up in that tree every time we walk by. It's like he thinks it's a squirrel tree and another ripe one is going to drop at any time.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 03:15 PM   #101
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Bottom of my page is for Weight Loss !!!

Fat chance .....
The previous page I had the very boring Pocket PC database tools. This page is offering me an unsecured loan. I haven't actually read all the posts yet to see if that has any relevance on anything at all...
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 03:17 PM   #102
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 03:19 PM   #103
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
paaa hahahaha !!!!

(that's patricia !!! when she visited toronto !!!)

zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 03:32 PM   #104
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
The previous page I had the very boring Pocket PC database tools. This page is offering me an unsecured loan. I haven't actually read all the posts yet to see if that has any relevance on anything at all...
Perhaps this thread is so totally random that the contexter thingy can't figure out what sort of ads would be relevant to it.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:06 PM   #105
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Perhaps this thread is so totally random that the contexter thingy can't figure out what sort of ads would be relevant to it.
Ad on this page: "Save on Adorable Kitten Checks". Yep, we definitely have them confused.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue one next to the fish, bone, chocolate, doggie, giving, hurricane, kingdom of bacon and bone, rfid, unutterable silliness, vivaldirules