Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-05-2004, 10:46 AM   #1
Team7
Zealot
Team7 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Team7 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Team7 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Toshiba e755,Samsung i730
Coraline by Neil Gaimen

If you have ever read Neil Gaimen you know how he loves to talk about a world that exists with ours but only certian people are aware of it. This book is no exception. Check out what it is about here at fictionwise http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/eBook4664.htm The book was actually written for parents to read to their children but as his 16yr old daughter said, it is a book written for any age. neil summed this book up the best...

"It was a story, I learned when people began to read it, that children experienced as an adventure, but which gave adults nightmares. Its the strangest book Ive written, it took the longest time to write, and its the book im proudest of.

The book has extras for the ebook such as questions and answers. ALso there are many pictues added to the book which is a cool addition. Why he wrote the book, and many other things. I highly recomend this book and if you have kids, it is a must have. Well check it out.
Team7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 11:18 AM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Coraline is cool. I remember reading it and thought of it as a children story for adults. Please please, if you like your kids to have a good sleep, DON'T it to them before they are of age.

Did you read some of Neil's other books, Team7? My favorite is Neverwhere, a noir fantasy novel about dark places beneath London City, where dangerous and forgotten people dwell. A very entertaining read!
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2004, 12:17 PM   #3
Team7
Zealot
Team7 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Team7 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Team7 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

yea that was my first one of his books. I bought it at a gas station because I needed something to read on a trip and I have been hooked ever since. Although I read american gods and just hated it. I thought it was his worst book but I have seen it rated as #2 on a top 100 sf book list. did you read that one?
Old 10-05-2004, 01:05 PM   #4
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
While on the subject of Gaiman. I haven't read any of his books, but I was very much into his comics writing back in the days of Sandman. He also did some terrific collaborations with Dave McKean, including Black Orchid, Violent Cases, Mr. Punch and Signal to Noise. The latter is a brilliant work, but you have to read it several times to really understand it.
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 01:10 PM   #5
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I think there is a new comic movie coming out very soon by Neil Gaiman. Laurens, you should visit his blog if you are still interested.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2004, 07:46 AM   #6
Team7
Zealot

Yea coraline is illust. by dave. I read something about that movie at the end of the book but I cant find it now. Laurens I would recomend you checking out his books if you liked his comics. I wouldnt recomend starting with coraline though. Try neverwhere because it was just excelent.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:46 PM   #7
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiling_ling View Post
i've watched the movie coraline. it was awesome! and now start to get obsessed with the novel version. do you know any link that allow free download of the novel? if you know, plase share with me. just reply here or send me private message.
What you are asking for is in violation of copyright, illegal, and against MobileRead policies. We don't do that here, and you shouldn't ask for it.
______
Dennis
Wearing his Moderator hat for the moment...
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:48 PM   #8
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiling_ling View Post
hi guys!

i've watched the movie coraline. it was awesome! and now start to get obsessed with the novel version. do you know any link that allow free download of the novel? if you know, plase share with me. just reply here or send me private message.

thank you in advance
Not free, but the Kindle version is $4.74 and with the new free
Amazon kindle/pc download, .........anyone can read it!

Book link:

http://www.amazon.com/Coraline/dp/B0...7997706&sr=1-1

Kindle to Pc link

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000426311
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 03:40 AM   #9
PennyPie
Cocoa & Toast...mmmmmm...
PennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone
I've only recently discoverd Gaiman...I LOVE his writing!!!! Didn't see the Coraline movie, but am anxious to read the book. He was in Cleveland a few weeks ago...I wasn't able to go....was very disapointed. Did get to hear an interview he did on NPR...sounds like a very interesting guy.
PennyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 03:49 AM   #10
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
I loved the Sandmans series and I've read several novels by Gaiman, including American Gods, twice So yes, I liked it, and Coraline too. I also read The Graveyard Book not long ago, and thought it was OK but not as good as Coraline.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:30 AM   #11
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
For Gaiman fans, there's a hilarious scene in Diana Wynne Jones' Deep Secret that is said to be inspired by a real-life incident involving Gaiman eating breakfast at an SF convention. Suffice it to say that he does not appear to be a morning person.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:50 AM   #12
pikelet
girl from oz
pikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-300, Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
I loved the Sandmans series and I've read several novels by Gaiman, including American Gods, twice So yes, I liked it, and Coraline too. I also read The Graveyard Book not long ago, and thought it was OK but not as good as Coraline.
I loved the Graveyard book, especially after watching the author reading it in the book tour videos here: http://www.mousecircus.com/videotour.aspx
I didn't enjoy Coraline as much (although it was still very good),
but I loved American Gods and I thought that Stardust was charming too (even if a little predictable)
pikelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:52 AM   #13
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
I think it took me 4 or 5 tries to get into Neverwhere. Weird, because I really liked it once I got into it.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 03:16 PM   #14
chlorine
Addict
chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team7 View Post
Although I read american gods and just hated it. I thought it was his worst book but I have seen it rated as #2 on a top 100 sf book list.
I'm glad to hear this, because American Gods is the only Gaiman book I've read[*], and I didn't care for it much, even though all of his books appeal much to me. This inspires me to try other books by him, and Neverwhere and Coraline are high on my radar.
[*] I've read his biography of Douglas Adams, as well as Good Omens, which is only partly by him.
chlorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 04:40 PM   #15
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
American Gods is my favourite Neil Gaiman book, and in fact one of the best books I've read in the past 5-6 years or so. My husband loved it as well. It seems to be one of those either you love it or you hate it books. A lot of people have said that they strongly dislike it.

What age do you think Coraline is suitable for? I bought my 7 year old niece a copy, do you think she is too young for such a book? I thought it was just O.K. for her (my niece is a strong reader), but my brother thinks that it might be a bit too scary for a second grader. Any thoughts?
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote