Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-07-2012, 08:26 AM   #1
country0129
Country0129
country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, PC
New: 64 Bit Version of Calibre for Windows

So happy to see a 64-Bit version of Calibre for Windoze. I just uninstalled old Calibre version, installed new version, and I was happy to see that all my plug-ins and the DRM tools were still active and working. Checking the RAM usage while converting some books still only used 3.99 M, but the conversion seemed to be 4-5 times faster than before. CPU usage % seemed to drop slightly. I have 4 cores, and the program was using all 4 cores.

Only converted 6 books, but I use this program every day to perform conversions, remove DRM's, download metadata, edit...best piece of software I've ever used.

I am not a software writer. I wouldn't know where to start today. I have to say that Mr. Kovid and all the developers of the project are sensitive to the needs and suggestions of the Calibre users group. I cannot recommend enough for every user that likes the software to make a donation to this worthy group to keep the fires burning!
country0129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:21 PM   #2
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool How to safely uninstall the 32bit version

I used my regular method to install a new version. First shut down the running version and then start the msi file. When done the old version still existed and the install hadn't followed my settings (I had a desktop icon for the first time in years!)! What should be my procedure to rid my computer of the old 32bit version without damaging any of my multiple libraries and settings.

alansplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2012, 12:29 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The 64 bit and 32 bit are completely separate. If you want only one, uninstall the 32 bit first and then install the 64 bit version. Uninstalling does not touch your libraries/settings/etc. And you will have to tell the 64 bit installer you dont want a desktop icon by clicking the advanced button in the installer.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:48 PM   #4
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The 64 bit and 32 bit are completely separate. If you want only one, uninstall the 32 bit first and then install the 64 bit version. Uninstalling does not touch your libraries/settings/etc. And you will have to tell the 64 bit installer you dont want a desktop icon by clicking the advanced button in the installer.
Thank you.

But...

Are you saying that I must uninstall the already installed 64 bit version and then uninstall the 32 bit version and then re-install the 64 bit version?

Never-mind, I just did it!

Last edited by alansplace; 12-07-2012 at 01:16 PM.
alansplace is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre 64-bit