Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-26-2013, 02:57 PM   #46
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I refuse to buy any cover that has elastic anywhere, including holding a reader in place. It always stretches out eventually (and I just hate the look and feel of the elastic on the front of the reader when it's also used to hold it in place). And for the Kobo, the way they extended the four corners past the reader made it bigger than it needed to be.

I've had original covers on my Sony for 2.5 years now that are as perfect as the day I bought them... they have no elastic.

It's not the "sleep" function that adds any significant weight to the reader, the only difference is the tiny magnet. It's the fact that you have full protection for the reader, including the screen, so I don't mind the extra weight. The neoprene cases usually just fit around the reader and don't cover the screen at all. You will eventually end up with scratches and probably a broken screen in just a neoprene cover.

The 3 covers I've used and can recommend:

Magnetic Ultra Slim Sleep Cover - this is the cover being discussed in this thread and it's my favorite, great price, great protection, although a few have had problems with the correct magnet placement.

Gecko Slimfit Cover - great cover even though pricier, but the flap used to close it bothered me, it's just something I wasn't used to before.

Magnetic sleep cover - great cover if you like that design (the reader will actually slip inside so it really adds another layer to the cover making it a bit thicker than the other), great price, great protection for the reader.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 07-26-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:22 PM   #47
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post

The 3 covers I've used and can recommend:

Magnetic Ultra Slim Sleep Cover - this is the cover being discussed in this thread and it's my favorite, great price, great protection, although a few have had problems with the correct magnet placement.
I got one of those, and mine is not good quality. I would not recommend it.

Edit: I contacted the Amazon seller and they are sending me a replacement.

Last edited by booklover6; 08-01-2013 at 06:52 AM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2013, 06:56 AM   #48
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I refuse to buy any cover that has elastic anywhere, including holding a reader in place. It always stretches out eventually (and I just hate the look and feel of the elastic on the front of the reader when it's also used to hold it in place). And for the Kobo, the way they extended the four corners past the reader made it bigger than it needed to be.
That makes me glad I sold my official Kobo cover!
Old 08-01-2013, 07:00 AM   #49
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
My ideal case would be Gecko slimfit style, but with a wide, very hardy, replaceable (even if it involves sewing!) elastic. I found the idea of the elastic the best bit of the Glo, because when I flipped it back while reading my hand fit comfortably there to hold the reader without having to grip it. In reality, though, it wasn't going to last long. But there are elastics that could.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:25 PM   #50
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

I just got one of these covers Amazon link and it's ok...don't know how well it will hold up. And the magnet was too strong, but luckily, several layers of foil between the back of the Kobo and the cover blocked it.
Advert
Old 08-01-2013, 03:44 PM   #51
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I just got one of these covers Amazon link and it's ok...don't know how well it will hold up. And the magnet was too strong, but luckily, several layers of foil between the back of the Kobo and the cover blocked it.
That's the same cover as in my first link above (Magnetic Ultra Slim Sleep Cover) except that you found it in blue! It's my favorite cover, the one I had to file a bit because the USB cord I use was a bit too bulky around the connection to fit while in the case, but otherwise it's been perfect.

Now I might have to order another one so I have it in blue! hehe

Edit: Yes, I just ordered it! It's even the same price as the one in black (actually was $.99 more when you added in shipping). Thanks for the find!

Last edited by Ripplinger; 08-02-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:35 PM   #52
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

No, your first link is sold by "coodio." Though they do look like the same case. I have the coodio in brown, and they are sending me a replacement.

The link I used is one sold by GMYLE and that's the blue one I got today.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:32 PM   #53
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

Since you have them both now, can you check them? Don't they look identical except for the color? I realize they are sold by 2 different people, but the images sure look the same except for the color.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:22 PM   #54
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Since you have them both now, can you check them? Don't they look identical except for the color? I realize they are sold by 2 different people, but the images sure look the same except for the color.
Actually, yes, they do appear identical in every way.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:11 AM   #55
byblo
Traumatized
byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: paper, Kobo Glue
Well, if you re looking for a specific color, maybe check this seller, he is proposing various colors (black, red, light blue, hot pink, purple,brown):
http://www.befr.ebay.be/itm/29092638...84.m1439.l2649

I would have liked a yellow color, or flashy green, to avoid to sit on my ebook while laying somewhere, but well ^^;
byblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:03 PM   #56
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by byblo View Post
Well, if you re looking for a specific color, maybe check this seller, he is proposing various colors (black, red, light blue, hot pink, purple,brown):
http://www.befr.ebay.be/itm/29092638...84.m1439.l2649

I would have liked a yellow color, or flashy green, to avoid to sit on my ebook while laying somewhere, but well ^^;
Those are the same identical cover colors as the cover linked above, but he never had a true blue in those 6 colors. I would suspect it's probably the same seller in fact that set up at another site for sales.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:28 PM   #57
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

My blue cover came today, very quick shipment on it. I think the multi-colored covers shipped from China so it took at least 3 weeks; the blue one ships from California so it's a matter of days.

It's a nice dark shade of navy blue. It actually looked a bit lighter in the images, but I prefer the darker navy, so I'm very happy with it, I love it. I did have the problem in this one of it shutting off the reader when I flipped the cover back, but folding some aluminum foil and placing it behind the reader in the lower right corner stopped that easy enough. The magnet seems in the same exact position as the black cover, maybe one is stronger than the other.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:21 PM   #58
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Yes I am having the magnet issue. I thought I had fixed it. I need to put in more foil.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:31 PM   #59
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Yes I am having the magnet issue. I thought I had fixed it. I need to put in more foil.
Aluminium foil will only increase the distance to the magnet; aluminium is not magnetic...

Maybe a small piece of iron or steel, which would ensure the case would stay open...
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:06 PM   #60
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

The aluminum foil folded over several times does indeed work. Without taking the reader out again, I'm pretty sure I folded a thin strip of it 3x so it was 8 layers thick and that did the trick. Only 4 layers still let some of the magnetic pull get through, that's when I folded it once more and the 8 layers worked perfectly, the light never shuts off anymore when I fold the cover back to read.