Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-17-2012, 03:07 PM   #1
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
B&N prepping new tablet with 'revolutionary screen technology'

Quote:
Now we're getting word from a credible source that Barnes & Noble, a 7-inch pioneer with its Nook Color and Nook Tablet, is set to bring out a new 7-inch model that features "revolutionary screen technology."
The source, who's proven reliable in the past, wouldn't elaborate on the specifics of that technology but said that it was developed in-house by Barnes & Noble (with the help of "another company") and had not been seen in another product before.
So it looks like Amazon won't be the only one with a new 7 incher. It's getting crowded, and that's only good for the consumer.

Source
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:22 PM   #2
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I was ready to order a Nexus 7, but with so many interesting tablets about to come out in the same price range I decided to wait. I'm interested to see what B&N can come up with. I wonder it the "revolutionary" screen could be viable color e-ink?
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2012, 03:31 PM   #3
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
"I wonder it the "revolutionary" screen could be viable color e-ink? "
That would be very cool indeed
Anabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:44 PM   #4
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
I was ready to order a Nexus 7, but with so many interesting tablets about to come out in the same price range I decided to wait. I'm interested to see what B&N can come up with. I wonder it the "revolutionary" screen could be viable color e-ink?
A new tablet was expected from them to keep up with the Jones but with a REVOLUTIONARY display? :-)

I did not order the Nexus either but I know I will take a look when either Walmart or BB gets them.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:53 PM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Revolutionary or not, it'll be locked down. That rules it out just as the lack of a card slot ruled out the Nexus 7. The new Fire is also ruled out, because it too will be locked down.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2012, 04:00 PM   #6
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Revolutionary or not, it'll be locked down. That rules it out just as the lack of a card slot ruled out the Nexus 7. The new Fire is also ruled out, because it too will be locked down.
I thought the Nook Tablet could be flashed with a new rom and all that? I haven't really been keeping up with it.

Will the new Fire be locked down any differently than the old one? I've actually just rooted my Fire, and I'm looking into to putting a new rom on it.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:00 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Maybe it will be LCD that can be viewed quite well in the sun. That would be very nice.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:15 PM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
I thought the Nook Tablet could be flashed with a new rom and all that? I haven't really been keeping up with it.

Will the new Fire be locked down any differently than the old one? I've actually just rooted my Fire, and I'm looking into to putting a new rom on it.
I'm tired of rooting. I got the original NC and rooted it, because there were no other options in that price range. Things are different now and full Android access is readily available. That means new Fires and Nooks are non-starters for me.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:28 PM   #9
DarkScribe
Apprentice Curmudgeon.
DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Touch, Paperwhite, Sony, and Nook.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anabran View Post
That would be very cool indeed
Have you seen colour eInk? It is pale, washed out, pastel-like. Unless they can make it much more vibrant - and so far they can't - it would not be popular.
DarkScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:45 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkScribe View Post
Have you seen colour eInk? It is pale, washed out, pastel-like. Unless they can make it much more vibrant - and so far they can't - it would not be popular.
Even if they could make color eink looks very bright and vibrant, it's too slow to use for a tablet.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:53 PM   #11
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
There is no revolutionary tech that BN has that others don't have.
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:58 PM   #12
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Revolutionary? Must be 3D touchscreen technology so that you can actually feel the objects that are displayed!
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:09 PM   #13
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
I'm kind of skeptical about this revolutionary screen. I'm thinking it'll be some marginally improved LCD or possibly AMOLED screen.

B&N is in a pretty hard position now. If this is a tablet, can they make it either cheaper or better than the Nexus 7 or upcoming new Kindle Fire? (and then there's the rumored mini-iPad)
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:39 PM   #14
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotiaBurrell View Post
There is no revolutionary tech that BN has that others don't have.
True.
But if the tech is only available in limited quantities it might not be deployable by other, bigger players. (Like the flexible eink screens from LG; there are theoretically available to the bigger players like Amazon or B&N, but not in a quantity needed for a next-gen product.)
B&N's tablets don't need the same volume of screens as a Samsung or Apple product so a component supplier ramping up a new display (say a new generation transflective panel http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transfl...rystal_display) might only be able to provide a few thousand panels a week -- enough for a Nook but nowhere near enough for an iPad.
And if B&N is willing to pay a higher per unit cost...

That said, I tend to take claims of "revolutionary" products with a pound of salt until the product actually appears. Otherwise it could be a marketting ploy to freeze the market until the vendor can play catch up. So the "revolutionary" tech could simply be a hyped-up incremental improvement.

Caveat emptor applies to these kinds of rumors.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:49 PM   #15
StoryEnthusiast
K. C. Lee
StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone
During this period of drastic changes, I'll wait. Competition is good and will bring better but cheaper tablets to us consumers.
StoryEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote