Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 06-28-2012, 11:57 PM   #1
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Is Smashwords July Sale A Good Idea?

Just wondering if the Smashwords July sales event they're holding here very soon is a good idea. I'm thinking it is, but I just wanted to check with you guys on how much benefit it offers, and if it's worth bothering with.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:51 AM   #2
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Depends how many sales you get direct from Smashwords rather than where they distribute to. I think I've had 3, so I don't really have anything to lose. Only worry would be if the sale extended to the distribution sites, then Amazon started price-matching.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2012, 07:03 AM   #3
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
If the sale is anything like the eBook week sale, then yes, it is worthwhile. This past eBook Week I bought nearly 100 titles that I wouldn't have bought in the absence of the sale.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:20 AM   #4
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
I cut both of my $2.99 ebooks down to free for the duration of the sale. This is the kind of event I've been looking for to try and generate a bit more attention.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:25 PM   #5
Edward M. Grant
Zealot
Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Asus Transformer
For readers, certainly. For writers, not so sure.
Edward M. Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2012, 06:37 PM   #6
eskimo49
Addict
eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I have recently published a book on Smashwords (and Amazon) and am participitating in the Smashwords sale, think there is a better chance of increasing my sales by using this promotion. Feel there is good and bad points in the way the promotion is run, requires a coupon which probably means that no-one will be able to get the discount just by reaching the book from Smashwords itself, would require to get it from my website - where I have added it.
eskimo49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:46 PM   #7
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
I've been with Smashwords since June 09, and I've participated in the Summer/Winter sales everytime, usually making at least one of my books free. I can't really quantify the effect on overall sales, because its just one of the things I do to try and build my brand (that sounds really pompous ), but it seems to help.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:34 PM   #8
Edward M. Grant
Zealot
Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Asus Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskimo49 View Post
Feel there is good and bad points in the way the promotion is run, requires a coupon which probably means that no-one will be able to get the discount just by reaching the book from Smashwords itself, would require to get it from my website - where I have added it.
If it's anything like previous sales the coupon to use is listed on the book page during the sale and there are only four different ones across the site for the four different discounts. You don't need to give it to people yourself.

The one thing I would say is that if you're going to make your book free, do it by using the 100% discount coupon; if, say, your book is $0.99 and you give a 25% discount it will still become free, but people won't find if when they search for 100% discount books.
Edward M. Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:56 PM   #9
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, I went ahead and joined the promotion. Hopefully this will give my book sales a bit of a kick in the pants.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:26 PM   #10
SadieF
SadieF is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.SadieF is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.SadieF is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.SadieF is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.SadieF is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.SadieF is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.SadieF is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.SadieF is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.SadieF is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.SadieF is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.SadieF is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: kindle
I figure anything that gets my book into the hands of readers is a good thing. Definitely put my book up for it.
SadieF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:25 PM   #11
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author

Wow, I'm glad I jumped in! Since going up this morning my books have been flying off the shelves! Well, digital shelves. The point is, this is day one and the promotion has already generated more sales in a single day than I get in a week! I'm happy. I'm also definitely going to do this again next year.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:53 AM   #12
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
How much did you mark it down?
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:57 AM   #13
Spacejock
Hal Spacejock & yWriter
Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I tipped most of my stories & novels into the promo. The plus is that unlike changing the price, it doesn't affect your Amazon listings.
Spacejock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:58 AM   #14
WatchAdam
Enthusiast
WatchAdam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WatchAdam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WatchAdam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WatchAdam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WatchAdam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WatchAdam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WatchAdam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WatchAdam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WatchAdam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WatchAdam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WatchAdam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lake View Post
Wow, I'm glad I jumped in! Since going up this morning my books have been flying off the shelves! Well, digital shelves. The point is, this is day one and the promotion has already generated more sales in a single day than I get in a week! I'm happy. I'm also definitely going to do this again next year.
Did you promote the fact your book was on sale or did people just find your book on their own?
WatchAdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:17 AM   #15
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacejock View Post
I tipped most of my stories & novels into the promo. The plus is that unlike changing the price, it doesn't affect your Amazon listings.
I noticed you have a good bundle deal on your website. I am going to try and read the freebie book 1 this week so I can see if I'll enjoy it.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote