Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-12-2010, 10:51 PM   #1
bluejoni
bluejoni began at the beginning.

Device: Libre
Pandigital Novel vs. Pocketbook IQ

I know the specs for these two are very close (from what I can tell the buttons on the Pocketbook are about the only difference between the two?)

I am not looking for an iPad. I am looking for an ereader that is not locked to one place for buying/ downloading books. And gives me a few other options. This is not a device I plan on using all day every day. Just for reading and tinkering around with when I'm bored and want to check e-mail/faceboook/ read in bed

I was looking at the b&n nook color, but I really don't want to put that much into something that I am not going to use that much.

Any help (pros/cons other ideas) would be awesome!

Thanks!
bluejoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 11:08 PM   #2
bookratt
Wizard
bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS505 & PRS600, iPad, Pandigital Novel, iPad 2
I just bought a white Pandigital Novel with Barnes & Noble app about a month ago. With my coupons & rebate it'll only be $100.00 + tax.

I do love my Sony reader, and find it is the best for reading ebooks (less stress on the eyes).

I am enjoying the Pandigital, and have downloaded a good variety of B&N ebook freebies that I can't get for the Sony and find it works well viewing PDF files. I like it for various reports, maps etc in PDF format that are AWFUL on the Sony reader (sizing and viewing work wonderfully!). The wi-fi is fast (I take it McDonalds for the free wi-fi ;D ), and I can surf the web faster than my regular computer. I have had to reboot it a couple of times, it is probably because of my impatience when waiting for something to process.

It also syncs up fine with Adobe Digital Editions, and I use that to put all my ePub & PDF files onto the Pandigital.

It does have a touch screen, and I ended up buying a packet of Nintendo DS stylus' - I don't like using my nails as they suggest as an option - it's not a finger slide like the iPad. The stylus works well, and I recommend its use!

I would buy this ereader again.
bookratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2010, 11:26 PM   #3
beespeckled
Zealot
beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!

Device: KOBO Aura One; Kindle Oasis 3
bookratt, how has the battery life been so far? The battery life advertised was 6 hrs.

I saw the Pandigital in person for the first time a couple of days ago, it was set to demo so I couldn't actually test it. I haven't researched how this compares to the color nook, but the Pandigital seems to pack a big bang for the buck as far as features if a person wants a multi function reader. Interestingly, the shop that had it is not B&N but the display featured B&N bookstore tie-in.
beespeckled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:33 AM   #4
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
none of the better known ebook readers are locked into buying from one place. it's the ebooks themselves that are the problem - you can buy books from baen and smashwords that can be read in any ebook reader because they don't use drm and do offer their ebooks in multiple formats.

ebooks that are best sellers or from major publishers are the problem as they are DRM-protected, and each ebook reader tends to read 1 or 2 formats. but as long as you're going with free ebooks and those from places like the ones i already mentioned, there are formats that can be read on all the major ebook readers.

as long as you buy non-DRM books, you can buy them anywhere for the kindle, the sony readers, bookeen cybook and opus and the rest of them.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:16 PM   #5
speedtouch
eBook Newbie
speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
I have a PocketBook IQ and you can definitely do what you want to with it. I use it often for reading and surfing in bed. I added my email account to it very easily. PocketBook does not lock you into any one bookstore. You can buy from their bookstore, Bookland.net, or you can buy books somewhere else and transfer them to the IQ.

I really enjoy my IQ now that PocketBook has released some decent firmware updates for it. I regularly get 6 hours or so out of my IQ.
speedtouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2010, 11:41 PM   #6
bookratt
Wizard
bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beespeckled View Post
bookratt, how has the battery life been so far? The battery life advertised was 6 hrs.

I saw the Pandigital in person for the first time a couple of days ago, it was set to demo so I couldn't actually test it. I haven't researched how this compares to the color nook, but the Pandigital seems to pack a big bang for the buck as far as features if a person wants a multi function reader. Interestingly, the shop that had it is not B&N but the display featured B&N bookstore tie-in.
I'd say the battery life is 5 - 6 hours per charge. I use more battery online or playing the game it has on it, but the battery lasts longer just reading books. It charges pretty fast, faster than my Sony. For the price I can't complain.

The B & N function is fast, and I've downloaded many freebie and cheap books.

I just downloaded the latest update last week, and so far everything is running smoothly.

Old 12-13-2010, 11:48 PM   #7
bookratt
Wizard

With the Pandigital Novel I am not locked into just the B & N books. With Adobe Digital Editions I can put any ePub or PDF book on it, so I can purchase any book from any provider.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:57 PM   #8
bluejoni
bluejoni began at the beginning.

Device: Libre
I typed out this long reply to explain why this matters to me but to put it simply...

I don't want to have to worry about where my ebooks come from and if my ereader will take it or not. Having a device that allows me to shop around is more important. An ereader that allows me to download the apps for several retailers knocks out half my ereading issues off the bat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by basschick View Post
none of the better known ebook readers are locked into buying from one place. it's the ebooks themselves that are the problem - you can buy books from baen and smashwords that can be read in any ebook reader because they don't use drm and do offer their ebooks in multiple formats.

ebooks that are best sellers or from major publishers are the problem as they are DRM-protected, and each ebook reader tends to read 1 or 2 formats. but as long as you're going with free ebooks and those from places like the ones i already mentioned, there are formats that can be read on all the major ebook readers.

as long as you buy non-DRM books, you can buy them anywhere for the kindle, the sony readers, bookeen cybook and opus and the rest of them.

everyone thank you so much for the feedback. I am going to get the white one because I saw on one of the threads here that it works a bit better. I did get to play with a pandigital novel today and it seemed like it will work fine for what I want.

So thanks again everyone!
bluejoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 02:33 PM   #9
v1k1ng1001
Addict
v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook 620
FWIW--The IQ seems superior in terms of software/firmware, no question. Furthermore, spending the extra cash on the Nook Color is totally worth it.
v1k1ng1001 is offline   Reply With Quote