Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 06-05-2012, 05:28 PM   #1
Jane Doe
Jane Doe began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Blank PDF tries to connect to amazon

I have pdf that was created on a mac. i have windows. it will open but it is blank and says tried to connect to amazon. The first time I blocked it and now it says cannot connect to amazon.com It is 2.3MB. I tried to convert to a word doc but get a blank word doc

PDF properties says
PDF producer MAC OS x 10.5.6 Quartz PDFContext
Fast web view yes PDF version 1.6.

Can someone tell me what this means and how to solve it please/

Thanks
Jane Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:19 AM   #2
Jane Doe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane Doe View Post
I have pdf that was created on a mac. i have windows. it will open but it is blank and says tried to connect to amazon. The first time I blocked it and now it says cannot connect to amazon.com It is 2.3MB. I tried to convert to a word doc but get a blank word doc

PDF properties says
PDF producer MAC OS x 10.5.6 Quartz PDFContext
Fast web view yes PDF version 1.6.

Can someone tell me what this means and how to solve it please/

Thanks
Anyone help with this? Tried opening with calibre to no avail. says protected mode on?

Last edited by Jane Doe; 06-07-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:30 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Seems like this PDF is protected as Calibre says. You need to get a copy from the Author that is not protected or get the original source file in whatever format it was in.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:41 PM   #4
Jane Doe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Seems like this PDF is protected as Calibre says. You need to get a copy from the Author that is not protected or get the original source file in whatever format it was in.
I turned off the protection in edit /prefs/change settingsand connected to amazon but it was still blank

Would it be because it was created on a mac
?
Old 06-07-2012, 06:26 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
I turned off the protection in edit /prefs/change settingsand connected to amazon but it was still blank

?
Did you create this yourself? You can't just turn off someone else's DRM. Mac and PC created stuff should be the same PDF and work the same.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:36 PM   #6
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:

?
It's not because it was created on a mac. The PDF must have some kind of code in it, javascript or similar, that tries to connect to Amazon. This looks like a virus or other malware embedded in the PDF.

If you have Acrobat Pro you might be able to find out what's hidden in it; otherwise, I'd suggest just deleting it, and maybe avoiding future documents from that source.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:58 PM   #7
Jane Doe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
It's not because it was created on a mac. The PDF must have some kind of code in it, javascript or similar, that tries to connect to Amazon. This looks like a virus or other malware embedded in the PDF.

If you have Acrobat Pro you might be able to find out what's hidden in it; otherwise, I'd suggest just deleting it, and maybe avoiding future documents from that source.
acrobat will not show. no virus. anyone suggest a way to view this?
Old 06-08-2012, 06:02 PM   #8
aware
aware began at the beginning.

thank goodness I found this thread. I have been downloading PDFs online at various websites and all of them come blank with Amazon opening.
aware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:13 PM   #9
Jane Doe

Quote:
Originally Posted by aware View Post
thank goodness I found this thread. I have been downloading PDFs online at various websites and all of them come blank with Amazon opening.
have you tried any of the suggestions here? What sites if you can say? Have you tried them on a kindle i thnk they are ebooks
Old 06-08-2012, 08:02 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Safe to say that these are advertised as free PDFs of brand-new authors/books that would usually cost money? Hopefully you're only being scammed and not infected.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote