Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-15-2010, 01:39 PM   #1
MJK2111
FUBAR!
MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 S
It's about time they cleaned up their act...

PETA wants Pak's tainted trio to fix 'balls'
Indianexpress, Agencies, 15 September 2010

Condemned for their alleged involvement in spot-fixing scandal, the tainted Pakistani trio of Salman Butt, Mohammed Asif and Mohammed Aamir have been offered a chance to generate public goodwill by an animal rights group by starring in a different kind of promo - sterilising dogs and cats by "fixing with no-balls".

People Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) UK said in an open letter addressed to the trio and left-arm pacer Wahab Riaz who would be questioned by Scotland Yard in London tomorrow that they can help in sterilising dogs and cats by doing the ads to remove the 'balls' of the animals.

"Many of us here at PETA are big cricket fans, so we were saddened to hear the allegations regarding match-fixing. We would like to offer you an opportunity to generate public goodwill towards your team while helping to take the spotlight off this controversy: star in a PETA ad promoting a different kind of 'fixing' -- sterilising dogs and cats. No one would call you 'out' about that.

"No-balls may be a bad thing in cricket, but for dogs and cats, 'no balls' are a lifesaver. Because of unchecked breeding and a lack of good homes, millions of dogs and cats all over the world languish in animal shelters or are euthanised every year. Countless other animals, including many in Pakistan, struggle to survive on the streets - starving and being hit by vehicles and abused by cruel people. 'Fixing' dogs and cats by having them spayed or neutered is the key to ending this suffering," the letter said.

"Spaying just one female dog can prevent the births of 67,000 dogs in six years, and spaying one female cat can prevent 420,000 cats from being born in seven years. That adds up to millions of animals who will never be born only to suffer and have their lives cut tragically short. We hope you will take us up on this offer. It is a win-win situation."
MJK2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:48 PM   #2
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Okay, I understood almost but not quite none of that.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 02:07 PM   #3
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
Okay, I understood almost but not quite none of that.
I'm pretty sure I got even less out of it
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 02:10 PM   #4
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Why dont we let the cats and dogs multiply as use them to end world hunger?
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 02:18 PM   #5
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_terd View Post
Why dont we let the cats and dogs multiply as use them to end world hunger?
What are you going to feed them to fatten them up?
Old 09-15-2010, 02:20 PM   #6
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hamsters and guinea pigs.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:29 PM   #7
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post
What are you going to feed them to fatten them up?
Wave after wave of Chinese needle snakes.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:50 PM   #8
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
From spot fixing to fixing Spot!
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 02:54 PM   #9
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I have only two words to say about PETA: Sea Kittens.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:08 PM   #10
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
I have only two words to say about PETA: Sea Kittens.
that was so brilliant I almost gagged on my tongue

I couldn't read the drivel but can almost safely say if PETA is endorsing it I'm a'gin it!

I realized that sounded kind of snarky towards you and wanted to let you know that wasn't my intent. all snark was directed towards PETA

Last edited by kindlekitten; 09-15-2010 at 09:02 PM.
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:44 PM   #11
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
that was so brilliant I almost gagged on my tongue

I couldn't read the drivel but can almost safely say if PETA is endorsing it I'm a'gin it!
The drivel is some very painfully done cricket puns (and not painful in the way a good pun can be, but painful of the mind boggingly awful variety.

The general message is a good one (neuter your pets), spoiled by some very dodgy statistics:

Quote:
"Spaying just one female dog can prevent the births of 67,000 dogs in six years, and spaying one female cat can prevent 420,000 cats from being born in seven years.'
Which works out about right for dogs IF all of the following is true:
About a month between each pregnancy
An average of 3 female pups survive in each litter
None of the female offspring are neutered
None of the male dogs sire offspring (or only sire the offspring of their littermates)

I did start to model the numbers for cats based on average litter size and the number of cats who frequent our garden, assuming that we still had ours, and that none of the cats were neutered. I then decided I had better things to do
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:25 PM   #12
happy_terd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJK2111 View Post
"Spaying just one female dog can prevent the births of 67,000 dogs in six years, and spaying one female cat can prevent 420,000 cats from being born in seven years."
That is a lot of gooood eatin'.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:45 PM   #13
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
I did start to model the numbers for cats based on average litter size and the number of cats who frequent our garden, assuming that we still had ours, and that none of the cats were neutered. I then decided I had better things to do
Been done. Saw it mentioned on a blog that went into some detail on the math a few days back, but I don't remember which one. Here's the short version, though:

What is the population potential for one female cat?

The much-repeated quote that one female cat can produce 420,000 kittens in just 7 years is unbelievable and baseless. No science supports this projection, only hunches. Science disproves this projection by factoring in true birth rates along with newborn and juvenile mortality.

According to wildlife biologists, the reproductive and offspring mortality rates of free-roaming cats are similar to wild carnivores. One female cat averages six kittens per year and 75% of her kittens die before reproductive age. When using these criteria, math experts calculate that one female cat and her offspring will produce 100 cats in seven years, assuming that all adult cats remain alive for all seven years. Although still an overestimate, this figure is far less daunting and realistic.

http://www.feralcatproject.org/aboutthecats_myths.aspx
Old 09-16-2010, 08:05 AM   #14
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
Been done. Saw it mentioned on a blog that went into some detail on the math a few days back, but I don't remember which one. Here's the short version, though:

What is the population potential for one female cat?

The much-repeated quote that one female cat can produce 420,000 kittens in just 7 years is unbelievable and baseless. No science supports this projection, only hunches. Science disproves this projection by factoring in true birth rates along with newborn and juvenile mortality.

According to wildlife biologists, the reproductive and offspring mortality rates of free-roaming cats are similar to wild carnivores. One female cat averages six kittens per year and 75% of her kittens die before reproductive age. When using these criteria, math experts calculate that one female cat and her offspring will produce 100 cats in seven years, assuming that all adult cats remain alive for all seven years. Although still an overestimate, this figure is far less daunting and realistic.

http://www.feralcatproject.org/aboutthecats_myths.aspx
Apart from the science, it doesn't really seem to match any fact I'm aware of. Otherwise we would be drowning in kittens right now. Suburban trains would be stopped by kittens on the tracks. People walking alone at night would be attacked by hordes of kittens. Sewers and drains would be clogged by kittens. CO2 emissions would skyrocket because of all the kitten farts
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:31 AM   #15
dsvick
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
The general message is a good one (neuter your pets), spoiled by some very dodgy statistics
I hate people/organizations that do that sort of thing and manipulate stats and polls to show exactly what it is that they want them to but then fail to own up to it when called on it. Can't they see how it hurts their argument? It means they are either a flat out liar for not acknowledging it, or they are fraking stupid for not seeing that they did it. Of course I guess it only hurts them with the people that pay enough attention and not let themselves be led about by the nose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
Apart from the science, it doesn't really seem to match any fact I'm aware of. Otherwise we would be drowning in kittens right now. Suburban trains would be stopped by kittens on the tracks. People walking alone at night would be attacked by hordes of kittens. Sewers and drains would be clogged by kittens. CO2 emissions would skyrocket because of all the kitten farts
I agree!! The first thing that came to my mind when I read the 420,000 figure was Captain Kirk and starship full of tribbles.