Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-09-2010, 06:39 AM   #1
mylesau
Enthusiast
mylesau began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Thumbs down Borders Australia (~ Kobo Canada) - Experiences?

Just wondering what other peoples experiences have been with purchasing eBooks from Borders Australia.

I've just purchased 2 eBooks and find that they have not shown up in 'My eLibrary'. So much for instant access to eBooks.

After a bit of digging it appears this has been an issue in the recent past that was supposedly fixed:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBooks-Support
eLibrary Purchase Issue - 29th June 2010 - UPDATE

PLEASE NOTE - the issue of purchases not going into your eLibrary has now been fixed. Please sign back into your account of app and your recently purchased ebooks will be shown. Our apologies for the inconvenience caused.
Reading through the Borders Australia forum it appears there are others who have been quite annoyed by this before, and in my opinion received a pretty ordinary response on the forum. I sent an email requesting someone to look into the problem with reference to my order number and received an automated response as follows:

Quote:
Originally Posted by support@bordersau.zendesk.com
Many thanks for your email.

Please note we are currently experiencing a very high volume of queries - this means we will not be able to get to your query for the next 3 to 4 days. We are working to clear the current backlog and apologise for the inconvenience this causes.

PLEASE NOTE: problems with purchase of eBooks not appearing in your eLibrary:
We are aware of an issue at present that is affecting all purchases of eBooks through all platforms. eBooks will currently not appear in your eLibrary. We are working to resolve this matter urgently.
Please see here for more details:
http://www.borders.com.au/ebooks-troubleshooting

For Borders Price Guarantee customers, please note that it may take up to 10 working days to complete!
This is obviously a known issue, yet at no stage was it made obvious during the purchase. I feel this is pretty poor service even taking into account that all this is new for Borders. So it appears I can expect to wait several days for an instant eBook purchase

The most ridiculous thing is that the ebooks-troubleshooting link in the automated response links back to the details I quoted previously that indicates that the problem has been fixed. What a mess.

What do others think, what experiences have you had?

I think I'll be looking elsewhere to purchase from now on...

Last edited by mylesau; 07-23-2010 at 03:22 AM. Reason: Thread title change.
mylesau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:35 AM   #2
tpw
Zealot
tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo, Sony PRS650
You don't get a second chance to make a first impression. It seems to me that Borders might be simply unprepared for the popularity of the whole ebook thing. E.g. the massive delays actually getting hold of a kobo, and the meltdowns of the online system. While I'm glad they actually brought the Kobo out here, I find their online system too clunky and lacking in user control, so I just buy ebooks elsewhere for the time being.
tpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:29 PM   #3
roguefan99
Zealot
roguefan99 began at the beginning.

Device: Smart Q7, and Kobo
Borders annoyed me when I ordered my kobo and it said "ship in 24 hours". It took a week to ship and the only way I could find out what was happening was emailing and waiting a day or so. It was pretty pathetic to not notify the customer what was happening, even though they had taken the money off my credit card.

As for the software, I find it terrible, slow and resource hungry. There has been no talk from Borders about the software update (and firmware update), which is making me considering just installing the kobo software to get around this. I wouldn't generally use the borders software apart from the fact that the firmware updates are delivered this way.

Oh another nice thing was I went looking for "Through the Looking Glass" to compliment "Alice in Wonderland" on my kobo. I knew that Gutenberg has it, and Borders "promotes" the free book thing, however when I searched for it they were all "charged" books. I eventually found it though the pages, an whilst I know they make money, it seems a bit harsh to sort them by price and then have the free stuff hidden.

Generally I have a low opinion of borders (especially after finding a couple of Calvin and Hobbes books in the store that were more expensive than the RRP and borders had put stickers over the RRP, needless to say I peeled the sticker and moved it so it was next to the RRP) and this has confirmed it.
roguefan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:54 PM   #4
MissSpice
MissSpice began at the beginning.

You should also be aware that if, like me, you got your Kobo from somewhere other than Borders...there may be issues with using the online store. For the life of me, I couldn't get My Library to download any of the ebooks to ADE...and trying to get anything that resembled help from the online help desk or the forum...it took me writing a second email, using my "grown up" language, to get an actual response from them. They were very apologetic, but, really, I should have had that response right from the start.

At this point, it should be noted in great big bold letters that I am a complete and utter technophobe! Anything to do with computers has to be dumbed down for me, using words containing one syllable or less... Which is why this has been a total nightmare for me - they used tech-speak on me ~pout~... If I'd known how appalling the program/s (the Borders/A&R/Kobobooks and ADE) are for effectively operating the Kobo, I'd have gone with the first generation of the iPad.

And yes, I did finally get my Borders ebooks to load onto my Kobo...it took Borders unlocking my Kobo for me, so I will give them that - even if it took them an hour and they had to phone someone to talk them through the process....though Borders saying that the fault for the Kobo being locked is with Angus & Robertson is a little hard to get my head around...the Borders site was the only one I had any issues with... ah well, at least I can get the few books I want from Borders that I either can't get elsewhere or they're cheaper at Borders.
MissSpice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 03:20 AM   #5
Greenmantle
Greenmantle began at the beginning.

Hi All,

I purchased my Kobo from Borders about a month ago and had to chase them re. the delivery by phoning them a couple of times. Eventually it did come via New Zealand !

Anyway, I have only purchase one book from them but could not find it via the Borders application but via the web site and it downloaded ok and does appear in my library.

I notice that it does take quite a while for it to sync up once you log in, I believe that the ebooks are not stored on your local hard drive of your pc but either/or:
1. in the Kobo itself and has to be downloaded from it
2. in some server at Borders and has to be downloaded from it

Either way it does take some time and there is a warning about this on the Borders website or forums and they recommend to keep the application open at all times!

Cheers
Greenmantle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:28 AM   #6
JBlyth
Connoisseur
JBlyth doesn't litterJBlyth doesn't litter

Device: Kobo, Kobo Touch, Ipaq 214, HTC WildFire Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmantle View Post
Hi All,
Either way it does take some time and there is a warning about this on the Borders website or forums and they recommend to keep the application open at all times!
Cheers
Hi Greenmantle,

There are some issues with getting an EPUB download via the Adobe link on Borders "My eLibrary" page of their web site, but they were mostly fixed today.

I think what you may have seen in a few places is that Borders recomends that you keep their application "SIGNED IN" at all times ie don't log out of the Borders application.

This is a subtle but important distinction. If you "sign out", then all your on-line books will be reloaded to your PC. However, the important part of this process is to be aware that the books are actually on your PC in the KOBO database, NOT as separate books that you can find on your PC.

That is why I like to download all my books as EPUBs via the Adobe Digital Editions link - which was faulty for a while until mostly fixed earlier today.

John in Sunny Carnarvon - Western Australia

Last edited by JBlyth; 07-12-2010 at 04:30 AM. Reason: Typo!
JBlyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:14 AM   #7
mylesau
Enthusiast

Well it's now 6 days since I logged the issue with Borders Australia outlined in the original post. I've had absolutely no response...

It appears the original message indicating that the problem with the eLibrary had been fixed, has quietly disappeared and has been replaced with the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borders Contact us
eLibrary Purchase Issue - 11 July 2010

We are aware of an issue with the eLibrary where purchased books are showing up but now download links are displaying. We are working to correct this at present. A notification will be provided once this is fixed. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused.
I wish I had that problem but neither of my books have shown up yet!

What a complete farce - I hope KOBO read this, they really need to be doing something about it - it reflects very poorly on their device. As was stated earlier - 'you don't get a second chance to make a first impression'.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:04 AM   #8
MissSpice
MissSpice began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesau View Post
Well it's now 6 days since I logged the issue with Borders Australia outlined in the original post. I've had absolutely no response...
Keep kicking and screaming at them until they do something about making it right! It really is the ONLY way with Borders.

I hope you get some action from them.
MissSpice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 01:36 AM   #9
roguefan99
Zealot
roguefan99 began at the beginning.

Device: Smart Q7, and Kobo
Just a thought Mylesau. If you log into the borders.com.au website, is the book in your elibrary there? If it is can you donwload the epub, you might be able to put in on your kobo using ADE rather than the kobo software
roguefan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:28 AM   #10
mylesau
Enthusiast

Hey roguefan99, nope that is the problem, the eBooks aren't anywhere!

After not having any response from Borders, I poked around their website today and found their 'Request System'. I had to setup a new password to access it. It appears this is where my original request ended up and low and behold they had closed it with the following comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borders Customer Service
Many thanks for your email. The problem of no links in the eLibrary has now been fixed.

Please check your eLibrary now and you should see the links to be able to access and download your books.

Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused.
I really have a problem with helpdesks that close problems without actually confirming that the problem has been fixed - its a closed loop thing - you have to actually check with the client/customer that the problem has been fixed...

Anyway, this is a pretty poor system that when a problem is solved it's flagged in the 'Request System' but the requester is not informed!

Sorry having a bit of a rant.

I logged another request that contained a lot of exclamation marks and referred back to the original ticket that was closed when the problem had not been solved.

After I'd thought about it, I came to the conclusion that the request would probably take another week to action...so I rang them up. To give Borders Australia some credit where it's due, their Online Support staff are very courteous and professional. The lady who answered the call asked for the order number and very quickly confirmed the problem (so how is it that they closed the original request?). She passed it onto the technical staff and indicated that they would ring me back before the end of the day, and they did.

The jist of it is, that Borders Australia have no control over the issue, it falls back to Kobo Canada. So a request was sent to Kobo Canada to 'fix' the problem. They are about 14 hours behind us, so that means it may actually get fixed today (Friday) or at least for me, by tomorrow (Saturday).

I won't be notified of when it's fixed, I just have to keep checking...I'm not holding my breath...

I'll update when I actually have a copy of the ePub on my computer...7 days have passed since the instant access was supposed to have occurred...still waiting Kobo Canada!!!
Old 07-16-2010, 09:05 AM   #11
Onemack
Groupie
Onemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle P/W, Kobo Aura, Kobo Libre 2, Boyue likebook P10
Crikey, What a runaround, I had the same problem of the books i purchased not having a download link, I Lodged a ticket with them (Borders Helpline) last Thursday week, They responded with the usual rote that it would be attended to etc, etc. Nothing happened for days until I received an email referring to my ticket number with a link to their site. The link did not work, but the problem was fixed and seems to be still fixed.

However I am still cautious, but as a matter of interest, I do not have a Kobo, but download and read on my Sony 505. Their prices are comparable with most international sites that I have been purchasing from (Smiths and Waterstones) they are markedly cheaper than Dymocks who seem to have lost the plot, and they have some Australian titles that are just not available elsewhere eg The Old School.

However I am still cautious because they are not cheaper than the Sony bookstore whom I have found completely reliable. That having been said I would rather purchase from an Australian company (albeit a franchise) than from overseas if possible.
Onemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 03:12 AM   #12
mylesau
Enthusiast

Ho Hum, the saga continues. This morning I received notification that a request had been logged in the Kobo Canada helpdesk system! So I logged in registering with a new password. I must say I've never experienced such a mess - purchase an item online through an Australian shop and end up dealing directly with a foreign company. Why was it that I chose the Australian shop in the first place???

So Kobo Canada are now asking me all the things that I've spelled out to Borders Australia 3 times already! Order number, books ordered etc. The best one being this one - "What software did you use to download your eBooks?" - absolute classic, since the problem is that I can't even see the damn eBooks!!!

Now that I've supplied the details I have no doubt I'll have to wait until after the weekend before it's even looked at! That will be 9 days after placing the order for an instant access eBook.....

I wonder if I'll have these eBooks by next weekend...

Quite a ridiculous situation.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:12 AM   #13
cadele
Addict
cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles, Sony 650
Borders / Kobo Abysmal

I, too, am very disappointed in the whole Borders/Kobo experience. My Kobo has now bricked after failing the firmware update.

The ebooks I purchased days ago have no download links so I can't download the books to ADE and transfer them to my Eco Reader.

I logged a ticket and just got the standard acknowledgement receipt.

I also telephoned them and they had the hide to tell me that it was because the books (5) I had ordered were of low cost!!!!

Gee, not that they are calling me cheap or anything!

I actually purchased the books because of the author, thank you Borders very much.

Still not resolved. I have sent a reply email to them advising them to remove the books from my Library and to refund the cost so that I can obtain the books from a store who will actually let me have them.

I have to wait another 10 days or so to get a replacement Kobo. If that also fails then I am going to ask for a refund for that.

Ridiculous way to run a business.

Am extremely put out and disappointed.
cadele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:20 AM   #14
mylesau
Enthusiast

Well it's now 2 weeks on from when I paid for my eBooks and I still do not have access to them as ePub files.

Yesterday they were finally made available to me, but only in the format supported by the Borders/Kobo desktop application. There was a hint in the email I received yesterday, that they may not be available in the Mobile ePub format - though both books are listed as being available in this format and other non-Kobo shops list them in ePub format, so they must be available... At this stage I'm not willing to download them using the desktop application as I will be requesting my money back if they are not available in the format they were advertised as being available in - I want to be able to transfer these books to other readers, not just the Kobo.

So the wait continues...

Apparently, if you can believe anything stated by Borders Australia, they now have access to correct the problem of books not showing up in the online 'MyLibrary'. The suggestion was that it can now be fixed in hours rather than days - it sounds like all requests had to go to Kobo Canada, which caused the days of delay. But they obviously can't fix the problem that I have in being able to download the Mobile ePub files...
Old 07-23-2010, 06:10 AM   #15
kakkalla
Zealot
kakkalla doesn't litterkakkalla doesn't litter

Device: iPad
I have purchased 4 ebooks from the Australian Borders website so far. All four of the titles have the blue 'ebook' tag and all four titles have the description 'Formats available: Desktop, ePub' next to them.

However, only two of the titles have: Download file, (Adobe Digital Edition users) under the red 'open book' button. Why?

I did a search in Google and quite a few other users are have the same issue. I also found this thread.

I clicked on the email us button and there was a 24/7 phone number there. I couldn't believe my eyes. I thought I was going to talk to someone that would be able to help me with this problem. If it seems too good to be true, it isn't.

Having waited for 10 minutes to be put through to someone in another country (Canada?), I explained the problem. Another 2 minutes on hold and I was told that they couldn't help me with the problem! I would have to call borders during business hours. Huh? The technical support banner states:

For technical support for your Kobo eReader, iPad, iPhone or Borders desktop application please call ...

So much for that! Does Borders enjoy giving its customers the runaround?

Can someone then please tell me why two of my purchases do not allow me to download the files?

Thanks in advance.
kakkalla is offline   Reply With Quote